Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo 2006.1 livecd with JMicron-Support (JMB363/361/36x)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mirek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice LiveCD, but #mkfs.reiser4 is not working.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirek, have you tried my "experimental" release, too?
I remember, that there are some "issues" with the experimental release concerning fsck.reiser4
don't change /etc/conf.d/keymaps or reload /etc/init.d/keymaps, choose "en" (default) on bootup for keymap then you should be able to run fsck.reiser4
<== at least that did it for me ...

stay tuned ! My new release (final) will come up soon

@thomasmue:
you could try out my final release, too ... :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, final release is out, go get it, while it's hot :wink:

hopefully this will solve all problems ...

rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to install 64-bit Gentoo on my Intel Core 2 box which contains the Abit AB9-PRO motherboard (JMicron SATA). I can boot using your livecd just fine. However, I'm having problems with the installation of Gentoo. Everything works fine up to the point where I attempt to chroot into my 64-bit Gentoo installation, after extracting a stageX tarball. Then I get some error about being "unable to execute /bin/bash because it is not the right format" or something like that, and the chroot fails.

My question is, has anyone found a livecd which they can use to install 64-bit Gentoo on a machine that has the JMicron SATA controller in it? If so, what is the link to that livecd? Also, how can I make my own livecd using a kernel that I compiled?

Thanks!
Richard
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Richard:

fine that it boots for you :)

Quote:
Everything works fine up to the point where I attempt to chroot into my 64-bit Gentoo installation, after extracting a stageX tarball. Then I get some error about being "unable to execute /bin/bash because it is not the right format" or something like that, and the chroot fails.

That's a fact :wink: You can't use a x86 livecd for amd64 installations :roll:

The problem for a amd64-based livecd actually is: I already tried to build a amd64 livecd with JMicron support but every kernel failed due to errors with unionfs or squashfs

The missing link would be a kernel 2.6.18-rc4-mm1 or 2.6.18-rc4-mm2 based with working unionfs and squashfs on amd64

Could someone reading this please give me an link / advice which patch-version of unionfs and squashfs I have to use? I'm really busy right now, and already tried several kernels, which failed (2.6.17-emission8, 2.6.18-rc4-no2, 2.6.18-rc4-mm1, 2.6.18-rc4-mm2 (+patch), ...)

Thanks in advance kernelOfTruth

rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's a fact :wink: You can't use a x86 livecd for amd64 installations :roll:

Ahh that explains it. Thanks for the info and for your work on this livecd :)

I'll check this forum thread regularly for updates. I might try booting the normal 2006.1 64-bit Gentoo Minimal Install CD from a USB CD-ROM drive (which is in my office at work). If that works and Gentoo installs drivers for at least one of the 3 SATA controllers on my motherboard, then I should be in good shape.
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: I got the amd64 Gentoo 2006.1 minimal livecd to boot Reply with quote

I have a solution to install the 64-bit version of Gentoo onto a PC that has the JMicron SATA controller. This requires 2 CD-ROM drives (I have not yet tested KernelOfTruths method described in the next post that requires only 1 drive):

1) Boot KernelOfTruths x86 livecd from one of your CDROM drives (lets call it /dev/hdc)
2) Run fdisk (or parted) to setup your disks, RAID volumes, etc as described in the Gentoo Handbook. FYI KernelOfTruth's livecd has working RAID support if you want that.
3) Create one extra partition at least 100MB large on your hard drive (lets call it /dev/sda11)
4) Insert the official Gentoo 2006.1 amd64 minimal install CD into your other CDROM drive (lets call it /dev/hda)
5) Now using dd, copy the entire contents of the disk from step 4 onto the spare partition you created in step 3
Example: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda11
6) Reboot. At the moment where your screen goes blank and the option to enter the BIOS appears, eject KernelOfTruths livecd from your CD drive (dev/hdc).
7) Insert the official Gentoo 2006.1 amd64 minimal install CD-ROM into the same CD drive (/dev/hdc) from where you ejected the KernelOfTruth livecd.
8 ) Reboot again. This time, your system will boot the official Gentoo 2006.1 amd64 minimal install CD. During the boot process, Gentoo will automatically search for the "root disk". But this time, it will successfully load the root disk from /dev/sda11 !! (or wherever you copied it in step 5)
9) Now that your system is booted into 64-bit Gentoo livecd environment, follow the instructions in the Gentoo Handbook on how to install Gentoo on your machine (i.e. net-setup, mount drives, download stage3 tarbell, extract tarball, download & extract portage snapshot, chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash, env-update, source /etc/profile, ..... emerge system, YOU KNOW THE DRILL...... :)

When you have Gentoo installed AND when someone has released a working amd64 livecd with JMicron support, you may safely delete the partition you created in step 3.

This method works for me on the Abit AB9-PRO motherboard http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=323. Also, at least for this board, there are some tricks to setting up dual boot into Gentoo and Windows (tested with Vista x64 and XP x64). Microsoft Windows required that the SATA drive containing Windows partition be plugged into the Intel SATA controller, NOT the SiS or JMicron one. Strange. Very Strange. Especially since I installed the drivers for all three SATA controllers that this motherboard contains (by pressing F6 during setup and loading the drivers from floppies).

10) ENJOY! :D

Last edited by rcb1974 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: one more thing Reply with quote

...for some reason the network interfaces on my motherboard weren't detected by the Gentoo 2006.1 amd64 minimal install CD. Fortunatly, I had a USB DLink network adapter that I used instead. That worked :)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that you were able to install gentoo :)

I tried your guide out and the good thing is: you don't really need a second CD-ROM / DVD- / ATAPI-Drive ! , so this temporary solution should be usable for a wider
range of users :)

small howto for AMD64 with JMicron

At the boot-prompt of the CD type in:
Code:
 gentoo-nofb docache

then when the live-OS has finished booting umount the CD-ROM:
Code:
 umount /mnt/cdrom
and take it out, insert the amd64 livecd, mount it &

then follow rcb1974's guide

Cheers :D

NaN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread with interest but still I can't quite get there. :-(

I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU. I have two SATA hard disks, an IDE hard disk and a SATA CDROM drive. The latter is proving to be both a blessing and a bonus. I can install WinXP_x64 on the machine, but only if the IDE HD is fitted - even though it installs nothing on it. :-O

So far I have been unable to install Gentoo amd64.
When I boot with the 2006.1 amd64 CD I get the much reported problem of not being able to find the installation media. If I use the all-generic-ide (and irqpoll) the CD boots and I can proceed with installation except that my SATA drives show up as hda, hdc, hde and not sda, sdb and sr0 as I'd expect! Is there any way I could get it to recognise the SATA devices correctly?

When I boot kernelOfTruth's liveCD with JMicron support, it dies with the comment "FATAL --- LIVECD NOT FOUND".

The Gentoo install CD 2006.0 boots recognising the SATA HDs and the SATA cdrom correctly and finding the installation disc, but the 2.6.15 kernel does not seem to have support for ethernet controller. I might be able to find an Ethernet card to plug in and try, but haven't done so yet.

I've tried lots of different distributions including current and pre-release - SuSE 10.1 x64 is almost there, the whole installation goes fine except that I can't see the IDE HD (no problem with that) The key seems to be the kernel version - 2.6.16 is good, 2.6.15 doesn't seem to support the ethernet controller and anything 2.6.17 or later seems to get confused about the IDE and SATA interfaces.

If anyone has more ideas on this I'd be keen to hear, as I'd really prefer to go with Gentoo.
Cheers
David.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

have you tried out mbar's amd64 livecd which is based on vipernicus' 2.6.17-emission8 release ?

link to mbar's amd64 livecd

I don't know how he managed to get it to work since it (the kernel) just wouldn't boot for me on amd64 (kernel panic), it however run's perfect on x86 for me, I love the extra security of Grsecurity + PaX

I'll give it (the livecd) a try in the future, since the combination of reiser4 and amd64 seems very promising concerning performance

NaN
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded and tried with the emissions livecd. Similar situation - doesn't see the install medium nor any of the SATA disks. :-( But the JMicron controller seems to be working in so far as I can see the IDE disk!

I could fit a second IDE CDROM drive and see what happens now - whether once it's booted the SATA devices become visible ...

Thanks for the suggestion!
David.
bubbl07
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the livecd, I'll try to install gentoo-amd64 after the CD is finished downloading. Does it include support for samba (as a client, not server)?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bubbl07,

no, unfortunately not, it's goal was to allow people with a JMicron-Chipset / or other hardware to install gentoo
I believe samba would have made it much bigger, would it ? So samba isn't included ...

bubbl07
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
Hi bubbl07,

no, unfortunately not, it's goal was to allow people with a JMicron-Chipset / or other hardware to install gentoo
I believe samba would have made it much bigger, would it ? So samba isn't included ...

That's ok, I installed it using the LiveCD provided here and it worked like a charm. The only reason I was asking about samba support was because I wanted to back up some files on the hard drive to my roommate's windows computer before I installed, but command line FTP did the job (although it was a bit tedious). Again, the livecd is very much appreciated.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a GUI livecd with a JMicron-supporting kernel so I can at least use my computer while gnome/x compile? :lol:
ngoodman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the steps listed above to get a working AMD64 System with R8168 1GBPS Nic and JMicron on board SATA/PATA controller and have hit a snag.
The steps listed mention swapping livecd's and then dd copying /dev/hda to /dev/sda(whatever) and this setup matches mine.

I have an ASUS P5B-VM motherboard and my only real problem is my system does not boot after copying the AMD64 Minimal CD to /dev/sda4.

Do I need to make sda4 bootable with fdisk?
What bootloader is used when you just dd over the image?
ISOLinux has not been able to kickstart and load up from the partition created and the other 3 partitions are empty.

Could someone elaborate on the steps in rcb1974 and kernelOfTruth post?

I can boot up, have all devices seen, extract a stage3-amd64 image from the network, untar a portage snapshot, etc.
But any attempts to boot up the system from /dev/sda4 have failed miserably.
Also once this partition is populated I can no longer use any of kernelOfTruth livecd's as it goes to mount /dev/sda4 as the cdrom instead of /dev/hda.
Causes some sort of modprobe loop when it tries to remount, but thats not what holding up an install.

Is there a step I missed to make this /dev/sda4 bootable without being able to chroot into the system and install a bootloader?
Or should it still be booted from cdrom? If so which cd? I have all 3 of kernelOfTruths CD's here and a AMD64 2006.1 minimal.
Anytime I had booted from the AMD64 previously it still did not see my JMicron SATA/PATA or the GBIC nic.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am under the gun on a timetable. This system should be installed already but is giving me major grief.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ngoodman, I'm working on an amd64-release of my livecd right now ...

however, it will take some days to get ready ... :roll: (have a lot of work to do now ...)

Update:
the kernel I wanted to use isn't working / too unstable, it would randomly lock the system ...

Update2:
trying out other ones ...

rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ngoodman wrote:
I tried the steps listed above to get a working AMD64 System with R8168 1GBPS Nic and JMicron

Do I need to make sda4 bootable with fdisk?

No. After you dd the official 2006.1 livecd onto /dev/sda4, you'll need to boot off the official Gentoo 2006.1 amd64 minimal livecd (i.e. the physical disk that in your CD-ROM drive) Then during startup, Gentoo will load the root disk from /dev/sda4 automatically.

ngoodman wrote:
What bootloader is used when you just dd over the image?

No bootloader is required anywhere on /dev/sda* for this trick to work.
Negated Void
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I've also got an AB9 Pro.

I have my SATA drive plugged into sda1.

I have my cdrom drive via PATA.

I booted the x86 w/ JMicron cd, did this command:
dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/sda1 (100 mb parittion)

rebooted w/ the minimal cd.

"The root block device is unspecified, or not detected."

:-(
Negated Void
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh score. Fixed it.

Plugged that sata drive into the JBmicron controller's sata ports.

I'm good with that.
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negated Void wrote:
Hey,
I've also got an AB9 Pro.

I have my SATA drive plugged into sda1.

I have my cdrom drive via PATA.

I booted the x86 w/ JMicron cd, did this command:
dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/sda1 (100 mb parittion)

rebooted w/ the minimal cd.

"The root block device is unspecified, or not detected."

:-(

For the AB9-PRO board: My CDROM drive is also PATA. However, you must have that SATA controller set to ACHI in the BIOS. Also, I plugged my SATA drive into the motherboard port labelled SATA1. It also works if you plug the drive into the port labelled SATA7. However, I could only get Windows to install when my primary SATA drive was plugged into port SATA7. Quirky motherboard, but good when you get everything working.
bubbl07
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
ngoodman, I'm working on an amd64-release of my livecd right now ...

however, it will take some days to get ready ... :roll: (have a lot of work to do now ...)

Update:
the kernel I wanted to use isn't working / too unstable, it would randomly lock the system ...

Update2:
trying out other ones ...

I'd be very interested in that, would be much more convenient than what I've been doing. Keep us updated!
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the initrd & basesys should be somewhat ready

It still has to undergo some tests, though ... (1st attempt wouldn't boot: no bootmedium found :lol: )

equilibrium
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded the iso, but whenever I try to boot the screen just goes blank. The cd + hdd work away for a while but I'm then left with nothing at all :?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's really strange, equilibrium

which Bios-Version have you got ? Have you disabled AHCI / Raid-Mode of the JMicron-Controller ?
If not, then it should work (at least it did for me)

Quote:
but whenever I try to boot the screen just goes blank. The cd + hdd work away for a while but I'm then left with nothing at all

Could you explain this, please, a little more in detail ? Does it show any kernel-error-messages ?

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: