View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillan_cz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Broken gnome after dbus 1.0.2 Reply with quote

I am using gnome 2.16 and i updated dbus to 1.0.2. There is no dependency in portage tree, but all gnome stuff is now broken. It uses old dbus 0.62. I tried rev-dep, but evolution-data-server is always failing compilation, becouse it uses gnutls 1.2.2 which are NOT in portage tree anymore! I found some topic, that solved my problem, but soutions was downgrade from gnutls 1.4.4 to 1.2.2, but gnutls 1.2.2 is gone!
I wont compile gnome packge by package, since it has bilions of packages.
Dose anybody have some idea?
Thank you for advices.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run revdep-rebuild -X. That will install newer versions of the needed to be rebuilt packages.
gillan_cz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
Run revdep-rebuild -X. That will install newer versions of the needed to be rebuilt packages.

I allready did it. It was suggested by revdep-rebuild after failiure. But there is problem with evolution-data-server becouse it is dependent on gnutls 1.2.2 ... file /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.12 but i have gnutls 1.4 and file /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.13. I would like to downgrade to 1.2, but it's not available anymore.
revdep-rebuild -X is killed by malitious evolution-data-server. I removed evolution-data-server and evolution packages from my box, since i don't need it now, but revdep is still rebuilding them.
gillan_cz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably solved it. I reemerged this packages:
Code:

Wed Feb 28 22:09:44 2007 >>> dev-libs/libxml-1.8.17-r2
     Wed Feb 28 22:10:29 2007 >>> net-libs/soup-0.7.11-r1
     Wed Feb 28 22:17:42 2007 >>> sys-apps/dbus-1.0.2-r1
     Wed Feb 28 22:29:03 2007 >>> net-libs/libsoup-2.2.99
     Wed Feb 28 22:33:15 2007 >>> net-libs/gnutls-1.4.4-r1

and now i can compile evolution-data-server and all other stuff by revdep-build -X
Anyway i cant use evolution becouse of this error:
Code:

evolution: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Does anybody know? Please ;)[/quote]
gillan_cz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have same problem? No replay - I feel like Hamlet :-D

Anyway i rebuild everything and it's working, But evolution still wants some dbus package.

Code:

evolution: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I don't have idea why. Evince used to write same error but recompilation helped. Evolution is really strong-headed ;]
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar issue w/ k3b and grip here. annoying as all can be.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the problem occur during the startup of the evolution executable, or while it's loading dynamic plugins? If the latter, the problem might exist in another package.
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my problem is with other executables, not evolution, but the root problem seems to be a busted dbus package, and a broken portage methodology.

dbus 1.0.x seems to be the root problem. i can't seem to easily downgrade, because it's missing keywords. i'll have to look into that.

portage likes to upgrade packages including shared libraries without rebuilding packages which are dependant on the changed library. this caused a need for the fantastic revdep-rebuild. which is basically a "rebuild all my packages which got busted by a library upgrade". the final straw is that revdep-rebuild is busted in and of itself and commonly can't resolve the problem. i just ran revdep-rebuild and it chugged along figuring out what to do for some time then reported that oops it couldn't do what it needed to do, and it's not quite sure why. fantastic.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is not a distribution, it's a meta-distribution. This means that while in a particular binary distribution you can assume self-consistency, you have to work in Gentoo. If you think about it, there is no reliable way to ensure you catch all broken reverse dependencies, as there are different kinds of dependencies: ld, dynamic resolution with plugins, kernel modules, Python/Java/etc., and so on.

The best practice, IMHO, is to rebuild all reverse dependencies whenever you upgrade a deep package; revdep-rebuild just saves time. Along this vein, I resist upgrading deep dependencies in isolation, and save USE flag changes and world updates for major version changes in the apps I use.
radagast
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem.

Code:
>gdb evolution
GNU gdb 6.3
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"...(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/evolution
(no debugging symbols found)
/usr/bin/evolution: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Program exited with code 0177.

it's been a while since any revdep-rebuild worked for me. probably that's the problem. working on it...
really like to get my calendar/mail back in the meantime though.
ash-nazg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: When Is a Hack, Not a Hack... Reply with quote

The initial post in this thread (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-524259-highlight-libdbus1.html) by "tSp" appears to have solved my dbus issues with gnome. Fix was simply a symlink pointing that missing dbus file to the more current actually-in-existence dbus file.

I have to agree with other posts that feel like this is a hack to fix it, based solely on the fact that I had to do it myself. However, judging from all the symlinks I see all over the place in /usr/lib, this isn't a hack in that it looks like business-as-usual.

Anyway, it got my gnome-terminal working again, and revdep-rebuildmy running cleanly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: