View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toober
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Gnome 2.16 Reply with quote

So what is everyone's opinions on the changes since 2.14?

I'll start the ball rolling, are you happy with the inclusion of mono and the wave of new software breathing life into gnome or are you worried about speed bumps?

Gnome 2.16 Roadmap:
September 4th - GNOME 2.16.0 Tarballs Due
Hard Code Freeze ends, but other freezes remain in effect for the stable branch.
September 6th - GNOME 2.16.0 Final Release!

made sticky 7/9/06 - mark_alec
unstuck - 15/3/07
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's only a few days away. Of course, for those of us who don't run ~x86, it'll be a lot longer.
Gremo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will be soon available on portage?
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gremo wrote:

Usually it's pretty quick for ~x86. Stable tends to take a few months though, at least it has for the other releases.
Gremo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papal_authority wrote:
Gremo wrote:

Usually it's pretty quick for ~x86. Stable tends to take a few months though, at least it has for the other releases.

ok (i'm in ~x86)

ps.
there are some updated ebuild for the new gnome on gentoo overlay (http://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/gnome/)
i have tryed to update, but i get some errors, hope this will fix in the final release?
toober
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Human interface usability Reply with quote

Does anyone know of progression being made in the human interface usability for the default gnome 2.16?
VValdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Human interface usability Reply with quote

toober wrote:
Does anyone know of progression being made in the human interface usability for the default gnome 2.16?

Search here for work in progress (ie, draft) release notes. Not really for public consumption yet, but hey, it's open source so everything's public..

W
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting list. As usual, the little things mean alot:

I use the Gnome CD burner alot to burn DVDs and I'm really looking forward to burning on-the-fly. It takes awhile to copy 4 Gigs of data to /tmp for the ISO and is totally unnecessary with today's burnproof burners.

Nice to see the Dictionary app is getting the spelling sidebar back again. I'm not sure where or why it disappeared, but without the spelling feature Dict is almost useless.

And of course, all the eye candy. Although I don't think most of that will hit until 2.18.
VValdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this for eye candy...

W
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes. Eye candy is nice. However I'd want cut/copy paste work better between applications, undo and redo functionalities in most apps and there's propably other features missing which kind of should be there without saying but they aren't. Oh yeah. How well does drag'n drop work between apps?
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love Gnome release days.

Here's to a great 2.16, and a quick path to getting ebuilds in portage :-P

As for the eye candy, I think we're more than just 1 release away from it. And I'm talking XGL or AIGLX based eye candy. Waiting on a lot more than gnome to support that. Eventually though.
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any one of you tested the overlay (as it is updated by gentoo-devs i guess they are much alike the final portage ones)?
I always has the problem with gaim being unable to start (it just aborts), cleaning the profile does not seems to help either...
Emopig
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the gnome-experimental overlay for a while, and it's been good. Alot of 2.16 packages are already flowing in.

I'm not happy with the inclusion of Mono, but I think that's because all the Mono apps i've used (banshee, f-spot, tomboy and others) have been disappointing, unreliable, slow, buggy, tend to have more emerge breakage ...etc so I have all the mono stuff ripped out :)

Does anyone know if the gnome-experimental overlay will be imported more or less as is into portage? It'd be a pain to have to have to recompile.
toober
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arstechnica have published a very good preview of Gnome 2.16.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emopig wrote:
I'm not happy with the inclusion of Mono, but I think that's because all the Mono apps i've used (banshee, f-spot, tomboy and others) have been disappointing, unreliable, slow, buggy, tend to have more emerge breakage ...etc so I have all the mono stuff ripped out :)

My issue w/ mono being included is really a philosophical problem. If Microsoft is unwilling to provide a complete CLR, including System.Forms, for alternative systems (I know they have a OSX and FreeBSD port) why should I use their languages in any extent? I don't like to argue this too much as the Mono developers have put a lot of time into the project... but its my opinion on .NET on non-Microsoft platforms.

BUT i found it odd that beagle is not included but some other c# app I've never heard of is.

it looks like gnome 2.16 finally includes a metacity capable of compositing but its disabled by default, they expect until gnome 2.18.

everything else is gravy, gnome has been making my loonix desktop happy and sane for years now :)
drkusama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Howto on how to emerge gnome 2.16 from the gnome experimental overlay? I checked out the overlay, but there is no gnome-base/gnome ebuild. How did others install?
Craig_Williamson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: GNOME 2.16 has just been released Reply with quote

Hi All,

GNOME 2.16 has just been released and can be seen here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2006-September/msg00042.html

And there is a good article on GNOME 2.16 at arstechnica and can be seen here:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/columns/linux/linux-20060905.ars

All we need to do know is what for portage to be updated. Good luck and happy compiling :-).
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fast ;)
I wonder if GNOME 2.18 will beat KDE 4.0 when they both come out :)
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have to go to ~x86 for gnome for this if it looks good, I'll take a look-see now.
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drkusama wrote:
Any Howto on how to emerge gnome 2.16 from the gnome experimental overlay? I checked out the overlay, but there is no gnome-base/gnome ebuild. How did others install?

just add the gnome experimental overlay in make.conf and then $ emerge -up world --deep will do the rest
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know where to find the calendar in evolution? if I click on Calendars I just get to see the current day and on the right side there's the task & memo list. but there used to be an calendar which showed the whole month. where did it go?
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toober wrote:
Arstechnica have published a very good preview of Gnome 2.16.

Thanks for that, very informative. I hope gedit gets fixed so that when you highlight something, it stays in the clipboard until pasted or something else is highlighted instead. The weird behaviour in that app makes it unusable for me personally.
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone get this error compiling zenity? it's the only packages that fails for me:

Code:

then mv -f ".deps/zenity-tree.Tpo" ".deps/zenity-tree.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/zenity-tree.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
if i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..  -I/usr/include -DGNOMELOCALEDIR=\""/usr/share/locale"\" -DZENITY_DATADIR=\""/usr/share/zenity"\"   -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/libglade-2.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/usr/include/libart-2.0   -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12   -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith -Wno-sign-compare   -march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -MT zenity-util.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/zenity-util.Tpo" -c -o zenity-util.o `test -f 'util.c' || echo './'`util.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/zenity-util.Tpo" ".deps/zenity-util.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/zenity-util.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc  -march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops   -o zenity  zenity-about.o zenity-calendar.o zenity-entry.o zenity-fileselection.o zenity-main.o zenity-msg.o zenity-notification.o zenity-option.o zenity-progress.o zenity-scale.o zenity-text.o zenity-tree.o zenity-util.o -lglade-2.0 -lxml2 -lz -lgnomecanvas-2 -lart_lgpl_2 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0   -lnotify -lgtk-x11-2.0 -ldbus-glib-1 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -ldbus-1 -lglib-2.0   
zenity-notification.o: In function `zenity_notification_handle_stdin':
notification.c:(.text+0x68b): undefined reference to `notify_notification_new_with_status_icon'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [zenity] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/zenity-2.16.0/work/zenity-2.16.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/zenity-2.16.0/work/zenity-2.16.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have libnotify installed?
[EDIT]ok, yes, but what version[/EDIT]
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
do you have libnotify installed?
[EDIT]ok, yes, but what version[/EDIT]

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: