View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: My little all-purpose living room server Reply with quote

Hello all!

I'm doing a little project... I built a server (the software part) for my living room which can atm do the following:

firewall
router
jukebox
file server

i now got a TFT+elo touch so it shall work as a better jukebox without keyboard/mouse
i also bought a bluetooth adapter, and i'd like to voip-phone with my mobile (via bluetooth)
it has a lirc receiver for controlling xmms and saying the title playing upon pressing "subtitle" on my remote

and possibly other things can follow

this runs on a Fujitsu-Siemens Scovery 260 which is a PC you can easily get on ebay (at least in Austria and Germany)

if enough people are interested, i might consider doing an image for a quick setup. or a stage4 or something like this.

The problem i now have is how to start xvkbd with xdm so i can login via the touch screen. I found numerous things that say you have to edit xdm's Xsetup file but the structure on gentoo is somewhat different and I am unable to start any service while xdm is running and no WM is yet running.

I also have some problems with my elo touch... only elo's own drivers work, and i need to calibrate every time and i don't see a way to keep the calibration (surviving a reboot).

There is a related post that should also get some attention
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-305596-highlight-elo.html

tell me your thoughts and help me solve my problem if you can.

i could also try to post config files and emerge logs for those wanting the same functionality on different hardware.

tia!

th
Ejunkie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not make an install script that you can run after setting up network and partitions
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks to Desktop Environments as DT&T isn't a support forum.
tbart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejunkie: true; would be more platform independent. however, as all i do with this server is heavily hardware-specific i thought that if you have to use this specific hardware an image would way faster.

Maedhros: this was meant to be a documentation of what i've done (and what i'm gonna do so in the end we've got a complete solution. well... i guess i am going to do a wiki entry if you don't like it in there, no prob. might be better anyway.

So if this thread is in a support forum now:
does anyone know how to do xvkbd and xdm at the same time? i simply don't get it how it should be done.
and if anyone knows of a solution for the elo touch i'd be thankful, too.

i do not understand how to use the in-kernel elo touch driver. i think you have to use a prog called inputattach to get an event interface... very little about it in the 'net.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: