Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
reiserfs: more than 48hours for --rebuild-tree on 1TB FS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: reiserfs: more than 48hours for --rebuild-tree on 1TB FS? Reply with quote

Well, as the topic suggests, I have a 1.08TB RAID1 array (mixed IDE & SATA); reccently I noticed some errors after a crash. So I disabled all services, removed the array from its mountpoint and ran:

Code:
fsck.reiserfs --fix-fixable /dev/vg/data --yes

The output of this indicated that there was some corruption and I should run:

Code:
fsck.reiserfs --rebuildtree /dev/vg/data --yes

Which I did. I had a sense of foreboding when I saw the "this will take a long time" warning. However, now it's been going for more than 8 hours and has only done about 20%.
It still has 156821024 blocks to go, at approx 1363 blocks/second, this will take another 32 hours ....

Is this normal? Am I going to have a usable FS after this?

Misanthropy 2.0 - enough hate to go around
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are that it'll get faster as more blocks get done (less blocks to consider). Check back in 1-2 hours and see if it is doing more blocks/second then. Other than that, you'll just have to wait and see ... of course this is taking way too long and you don't know wether the result will be readable at all, but hey ... it's reiserfs :lol:
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 8 hours later and it's now just over 60% -- which still leaves at least another 12 hours to go. It appears you are correct :-)
Let's just hope I have a usable filesystem after this!

GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that is a problem
that´s one of the reason was a meeting about filesystem in linux kernel
with person like linus tovald mabe andrew morton etc...
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
reiserfsck finished at Tue Sep  5 00:10:50 2006

Quote:
Sep 5 00:11:33 xenophobe ReiserFS: dm-1: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
Sep 5 00:12:09 xenophobe ReiserFS: dm-1: using ordered data mode
Sep 5 00:12:09 xenophobe ReiserFS: dm-1: journal params: device dm-1, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
Sep 5 00:12:09 xenophobe ReiserFS: dm-1: checking transaction log (dm-1)
Sep 5 00:12:09 xenophobe ReiserFS: dm-1: Using r5 hash to sort names

The filesystem mounted, there're a few files in "lost+found", but it looks good :-)

I guess I'll be sticking with reiserfs on my LVM, if it recovers so well after such a hard crash, it seems reliable enough for my purposes -- even if it is slow!

GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personaly with some data loss in reiserfs i will switch to ext3
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new_to_non_X86 wrote:

I think you misunderstand how the data was lost. I had a crash, after which I ran reisfer.fsck --fix-fixable --yes on the array this replayed the journal, fixed some things and aborted as there were other errors, it also advised me to run --rebuild-tree.
Foolishly, I ignored this, mounted the filesystem and continued working with the FS. A few weeks later, I noticed I was unable to delete some files and the system tended to kernel panic when I decompressed large files anywhere on the FS's mountpoint.

It's only then I begun the process described in this post. And the only files lost seem to be the contents of the .tar.bz2 I was decompressing and a movie that was copying via NFS when the kernel panic occurred. If I really wanted to recover these, I'd just have to rename the files in "lost+found"; however I don't so I just nuked them.

In my experience with ext3, it would have fared the same or worse in these conditions. What makes you think it'd do better?

GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrUlterior wrote:
new_to_non_X86 wrote:

I think you misunderstand how the data was lost. I had a crash, after which I ran reisfer.fsck --fix-fixable --yes on the array this replayed the journal, fixed some things and aborted as there were other errors, it also advised me to run --rebuild-tree.
Foolishly, I ignored this, mounted the filesystem and continued working with the FS. A few weeks later, I noticed I was unable to delete some files and the system tended to kernel panic when I decompressed large files anywhere on the FS's mountpoint.

It's only then I begun the process described in this post. And the only files lost seem to be the contents of the .tar.bz2 I was decompressing and a movie that was copying via NFS when the kernel panic occurred. If I really wanted to recover these, I'd just have to rename the files in "lost+found"; however I don't so I just nuked them.

In my experience with ext3, it would have fared the same or worse in these conditions. What makes you think it'd do better?

ok
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: