2006.1 review
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: 2006.1 review Reply with quote

I found this short but interesting review about the new release and think the guy has made some valid points even though he totally ignores the gcc update.
darker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That review seems to be more about the new installer than Gentoo Linux itself. I still don't understand why people think its "too bad" that the text installer is more powerful than the graphical. If the graphical installer was as featureful as the text install, people would complain about it being difficult to use.

NOTE: I have not used the graphical installer, so I can't really make judgements about how easy it is to use, or how correctly it sets everything up.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've have seen users complaining a lot about the installer killing their partitions when 2006.0 has been released. Up to now I saw one user having the same problem with 2006.1 and read this devastating review. I can only say that I don't have the slightest understanding, why we ship this as default and not as an extra experimental iso as long as it that broken as it seems to be. :roll: I doubt there's more than a handful developers, who use the graphical installer and would notice any problems. Imho it's a desaster: For affected users and, public relation wise, for Gentoo as well.
darker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the people capable of testing and fixing such an installer would not use or do not like a graphical installer anyway. Therefore, the only people testing it are the people creating it, and they only represent a few hardware/software senarios.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: