Complaint About Labeling in Filenames and Docs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
recentcoin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Complaint About Labeling in Filenames and Docs Reply with quote

The web page to download gentoo lists Install CD's and Live CD's.

The installation documents uses a different set of naming conventions for the various images that bears a near zero resemblance to the names on the download page.

The file names for the ISOs themselves uses a third set of terminology.

To compound the issue, the "LiveCD" which in most distros means no local installation is in fact the installer CD.

AGHHHH!!!!

I know that gentoo is different, but do you have to be THAT different?????

2 cents,

RC
fcgreg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Complaint About Labeling in Filenames and Docs Reply with quote

I agree with you in that carefully adhering to a standard nomenclature is vitally important. In that regard I suggest you file a documentation bug in Bugzilla to have such issues corrected.

However, before you do that I wanted to add a clarification:

recentcoin wrote:
... To compound the issue, the "LiveCD" which in most distros means no local installation is in fact the installer CD.

I disagree with your definition for the term "LiveCD". "LiveCD" has no bearing on whether you can install anything from such a CD. Rather, it is defined as:
Google / Wikipedia wrote:
an operating system (usually containing other software as well) stored on a bootable storage device that can be executed from it ...

Reference here and here for more info.

Since Gentoo's LiveCD/LiveDVD's are first-and-foremost a bootable Linux operating system that can be run without installation, the terminology is accurate. Adding the capability to install from said media is simply an added bonus.

Related Note: Some in the Wikipedia community apparently now feel that the term Live CD is inadequate/inappropriate due to late arrivals such as the "LiveDVD", large USB-drives, etc. Therefore, a newer term of "Live Distro" seems to be in vogue, as you can see from their recent updates.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: