Turbo C in Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oc666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Turbo C in Gentoo Reply with quote

I want to programming C in Gentoo. I checked KDevelop, but its heavy because I'm programming simple C programs & in KDevelop I need for each program to create project & compile all the project for only one simple program.
Is there a package like turbo C for windows, which is viewer, compiler, linker & builder for C\C++ programs?
Or in other hand, is there a way in KDevelop to build one simple C program without create project for it?
thorpe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use vim and gcc?
oc666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thorpe wrote:
Why not just use vim and gcc?

Because is more convenient to press ctrl+F9 (or just other sequence) like in turbo C than make 3 commands in command-line. Additionally, the vim is separate from gcc & turbo c style is both editor, compiler, linker & builder.
grimm26
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set up key bindings in vim to do that stuff. I have key bindings for RCS stuff. You can make one for a compile as well.
oc666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimm26 wrote:
You can set up key bindings in vim to do that stuff. I have key bindings for RCS stuff. You can make one for a compile as well.

I preffer to work with Kate. Is there a script to compile & link C\C++ programs for kate editor?
grimm26
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a KDE fan, then why not KDevelop?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also vote for just plain gcc with vim or maybe nano as a texteditor. I do all my programing this way, from simple to complex things. Just open two terminals. In one have the text editor with your source code, in the other just run "gcc -o prog prog.c" and then ./prog to run. Since bash is nice once you type it once all you need to do is press up and return, and you should be all set then on.

Especially for simple things it really is ideal.
oc666
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimm26 wrote:
If you are a KDE fan, then why not KDevelop?

Answer:
oc666 wrote:
...I checked KDevelop, but its heavy because I'm programming simple C programs & in KDevelop I need for each program to create project & compile all the project for only one simple program...Or in other hand, is there a way in KDevelop to build one simple C program without create project for it?

mikegpitt wrote:
I also vote for just plain gcc with vim or maybe nano as a texteditor. I do all my programing this way, from simple to complex things. Just open two terminals. In one have the text editor with your source code, in the other just run "gcc -o prog prog.c" and then ./prog to run. Since bash is nice once you type it once all you need to do is press up and return, and you should be all set then on.

Especially for simple things it really is ideal.

Response: I'm programming with Hebrew language in my programs & both VIM & NANO are not support well in Hebrew language. So, I need to use an IDE or advanced Editor like Kate. Also, I don't like to move from the editor to another window or console to compile & return to the editor each time when I need to compile. It's very inconvenient.
grimm26
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beggars can't be choosers :). You could get fancy and use gettext within your code so you don't actually need hebrew character support in the code. That will help with editor compatability while coding.

Also, switching windows is easy when you use mouse focus :) doing a compile becomes a flick of the wrist and two keystrokes.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimm26 wrote:
Also, switching windows is easy when you use mouse focus :) doing a compile becomes a flick of the wrist and two keystrokes.
I totally agree... Programming via 2 terminals is the easiest thing that I ever used, which is why once I started, I refused to stop.... I personally hate IDE's. The hebrew chars coudl be a good reason not to use a text editor though... then again you can use a more advanced editor (I think Kate was mentioned above) and use the other terminal to compile... but I guess there is no sense beating my habits into someone else.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oc666 wrote:
grimm26 wrote:

I preffer to work with Kate. Is there a script to compile & link C\C++ programs for kate editor?

Shouldn't be too hard to set one up yourself. Look at the "External Tools" section of the Kate hanbook.
younker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhide is the IDE you are looking for.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: