Firefox crash with some java applets
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l_bratch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Firefox crash with some java applets Reply with quote

I've just switched to 64-bit Gentoo from 32-bit (where naturally everything was working fine ;))

Using certain Java applets, Firefox just crashes. I've found a convenient one for linking here:

http://java.sun.com/applets/jdk/1.4/demo/applets/WireFrame/example2.html

Clicking on the applet causes Firefox to crash.

I've tried with java-config-2 set to Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.03 and Sun JDK 1.5.0.08, with the same problem with both.

I've installed the plugin by emerging blackdown-jdk with the nsplugin USE flag, and then symlinked the plugin like so:

.mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so -> /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so

Firefox version 1.5.0.5, Java versions already given.
Kernel 2.6.17-gentoo-r7.

Any suggestions?
turkystuffing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar things, that just doesn't load for me.

No Java worked not so long ago, but I've just updated blackdown and am yet to give azureus a proper run. Thats normally 1st to go.

Turkystuffing
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox crash with some java applets Reply with quote

l_bratch wrote:
where naturally everything was working fine ;) ... Any suggestions?

its sort of funny you said this b/c you are now dealing w/ one of the few remaining issues (*cough*) faced by 64-bit OS users. seriously.

you have left out one vital piece of information: what firefox version are you using, compiled (emerge firefox) or binary (emerge firefox-bin)?

The JDK provided by Sun is 32-bit and only supports 32bit browsers... it should work just fine w/ firefox-bin. Your example loaded perfectly well on this machine here (amd64 3700+ 64bit Gentoo). This same situation also pertains to Adobe's Flash (emerge netscape-flash).

here is the rub... are you ready? the mplayer plugin (also the totem plugin) only works on the compiled version of firefox, in my own experience.

I have both installed. compiled version w/ mplayer so that i can enjoy ytmnd.com and the binary version w/ Java and Flash so i can enjoy the rest of the web.

sucks. and I won't even start on the win32codecs...
l_bratch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 64-bit Firefox.

Isn't the Linux AMD64 Platform - J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 6 on this page, a 64-bit build?:

https://sdlc4d.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=457EB8597E4079B4E169F10380593561

The mplayerplug-in seems to work fine here, but sadly I had to settle for mplayer-bin to get win32codecs working.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l_bratch wrote:
I'm running 64-bit Firefox.

Isn't the Linux AMD64 Platform - J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 6 on this page, a 64-bit build?

the link required login, but in the installation instructions for 5.0 update 8:
Quote:
This procedure installs the JDK, but not the Java Plug-in or Java Web Start (which are not yet available for 64-bit Linux)
l_bratch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this link should work:

http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=jre-1.5.0_06-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l_bratch wrote:
Sorry, this link should work:

http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=jre-1.5.0_06-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg

I found it on my own but I'm assuming the .08 below cooresponds to '5.0 update 8'. which specifically state that the browser plugin does not support 64bit browsers still. The actual JRE is 64bit now though... I wonder if the app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-java package is no longer required.

Code:
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] dev-java/sun-jdk-1.5.0.08  USE="X alsa nsplugin -doc -examples -jce" 0 kB
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: