linux compatible remote
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmuse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: linux compatible remote Reply with quote

hi,
i'm about to order a cheap tv tuner and would like to be able to flip channels using a remote control. is there such thing? Any recommendations? I figure i will be able to bind the buttons to channel up and channel down on my tv tuner software (haven't decided what i'm going to use yet). It would also be handy for DVD watching.

thx
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: linux compatible remote Reply with quote

jcmuse wrote:
hi,
i'm about to order a cheap tv tuner and would like to be able to flip channels using a remote control. is there such thing? Any recommendations? I figure i will be able to bind the buttons to channel up and channel down on my tv tuner software (haven't decided what i'm going to use yet). It would also be handy for DVD watching.

thx

Search + Lirc = http://www.google.com/search?hs=3ir&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=site%3Aforums.gentoo.org+lirc&btnG=Search

or

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Special:Search?search=lirc&go=Go
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on where you live and what remotes are available. You can find the list lirc supports here.

I currently use a cheap DVICO remote (bought it here in Korea for about 10 US dollars). Once you pick a model, you better google for it before buying. Also, you'll need the configuration file for your remote model, and it's much less work to google it than having to set it up yourself.

Good luck.
belrpr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the standard windows media center remote and it works perfect under lirc.
I also got the logitech ultrax media remote and it is reconnized as a keyboard but not every button works and doesn't support lirc.
Lirc support is very important because you can set your buttons for a specific screen. The buttons can have a different meaning when you are watching a DVD then when you are in the mythtv menu.
jcmuse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i've ordered the streamzap.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcmuse wrote:
thanks i've ordered the streamzap.

Woo hoo! You can't go wrong with this thing. I've gone through about 3 remotes for Linux before this one, and the Streamzap BY FAR has the best range. Plus, the recievier just plugs into an empty USB slot. How freaking easy is that?

On top of all that, the remote is *nicely* designed as far as ergonomics go, and has a lot of buttons on it to customize.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: