View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IcEonFirE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Unable to switch to Serial Console Reply with quote

Hi

When I use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to serial console, nothing happened. I had this work last week it suddenly stopped working. Any Issue please ?

Thanks
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What desktop environment or window manager would be in use when changing virtual terminals fails?
iguana chute
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a GUI working yet, so this may be totally irrelevant, but try to run the top command. On my system this shows multiple instances of the agetty process. When I log out of a terminal, another instance of agetty shows up. According to the agetty man page, which says agetty opens serial consoles, it is generally started by init, but it looked like you could start one manually. Maybe there's a problem with init. Hope it helps. Also: In top, if you press c, it shows which terminals each agetty corresponds to. Again, this is in text mode, not X, so I'm not sure it helps.

Last edited by iguana chute on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing, you are talking about a virtual console, not a serial console. A serial console would be something hooked to one of the serial ports.

Next, did you try CTRL-ALT-F2? On my box with the Nvidia drivers, CTRL-ALT-F1 doesn't work, but F2 does. From there I can switch to F1, if I wish. I'm not sure why it works this way, but it's been like this for a long time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: