Install hangs after Unpacking portage-2006.1.tar.bz2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjthomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Install hangs after Unpacking portage-2006.1.tar.bz2 Reply with quote

The window says Chroot Environment Ready

The first bar is reading Unpacking portage-2006.1.tar.bz2
the 2nd bar is reading Syncing the Portage Tree.

I have tried to install from the livecd-amd64-installer-2006.1.iso cd three times. The third time I got an error that there was an error reading the CD, I think (I was using the text based installer). I reread the CD and ran diff against the CD image and the downloaded file. I also checked the downloaded file with gpg and it checked out okay. (actually I did that right after I downloaded the file)

I also tried to installed from the install-amd64-minimal-2006.1.iso and got the same result.

I had the processor load window open when things quit working, the processor seemed to be idle and there was no drive activity. I tried to open other windows and finally the system just quit responding... the mouse was still working though.

My system is an Asus A8N-SLI deluxe MB, AMD 64 Althon FX-57 with 4 Gigs of RAM. I am installing on an SATA-II 250GB hard disk. I used the recommended partitioning and partitioned as follows (neither worked) 100M /boot, 4096 swap, 50G root, 10G /var, 10G /tmp, 5G /home and the rest of the drive is mounted as /mnt/stuff. /boot is formated ext2 and the rest are ext3.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I am going to try to try to install it again with noacpi and see if that will work. It looks like the SATA driver was loading.

I was able to boot off my other distro and mount the gentoo root partition. I was able to also untar the portage-2006.1.tar.bz2 file without and errors. It looks like all the directories are there from the install. I looked into /usr/portage/ and it looks like the untar was successful as well. So it maybe that the failure is post Unpacking portage-2006.1.tar.bz2.

I am new to Gentoo so I am not sure what to look far as far as troubleshooting. I was able to look at my processes and didn't see anything that was consuming a lot of CPU resources, but the system was acting like it was.

Help?

Thanks.

-JJ
andycarr059
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: More Info Reply with quote

Could you briefly go through the steps you preformed, start to finish of install. I have installed gentoo 2.6.17-r7 on 10 amd 64 computers.

I don't knnow if I will be any help....
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to remove 2 of the 4 GB of RAM during the installation.

Then you may continue with the installation past the occured error.
jjthomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically I am following the Gentoo Linux 2006.1 Handbook. I've tried both the InstallCD and the Installer LiveCD. I've also tried with noacpi.

What event takes place after unpacking portage-2006.1.tar.bz2? This seems to be where it dies. Can I install gentoo without installing the portage?

Were you installing on ATA or SATA drives?

Very reluctant to remove any RAM. Several other distros were able to complete the installation that I am trying with Gentoo. Also it is a major PIA to remove the RAM. :(

Thanks

-JJ
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No "event" happens after unpacking portage. It just goes to the command prompt.

I'm referring to when you follow the guide and not using the gui installer; I have no idea what the gui installer does/doesn't do (since I've never used it).
jjthomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it with both the GUI and command prompt (in a terminal window). Same results. Here is a couple of lines from the installer logs (all are from doing the command prompt install in a terminal window):

Code:

GLI: September 08 2006 07:30:03 - Fetching and unpacking tarball: ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo//releases/amd64/current/stages/
GLI: September 08 2006 07:30:03 - This is a bad thing. An exception occured outside of the normal install errors. The error was: 'local variable 'format_option' referenced before assignment'
GLI: September 08 2006 07:30:03 - Traceback (most recent call last):
GLI: September 08 2006 07:30:03 - File "/opt/installer/GLIClientController.py", line 197, in run
    self._install_steps[self._install_step]['function']()
GLI: September 08 2006 07:30:03 - File "/opt/installer/GLIArchitectureTemplate.py", line 308, in unpack_stage_tarball
    GLIUtility.fetch_and_unpack_tarball(self._install_profile.get_stage_tarball_uri(), self._chroot_dir, temp_directory=self._chroot_dir, keep_permissions=True, cc=self._cc)
GLI: September 08 2006 07:30:03 - File "/opt/installer/GLIUtility.py", line 571, in fetch_and_unpack_tarball
    tar_options += format_option
GLI: September 08 2006 07:30:03 - UnboundLocalError: local variable 'format_option' referenced before assignment

and
Code:

GLI: September 08 2006 08:14:15 - Exception received during 'Set the root password': SetRootPasswordError :FATAL: set_root_password: Failure to set root password!
GLI: September 08 2006 08:14:15 - Traceback (most recent call last):
GLI: September 08 2006 08:14:15 - File "/opt/installer/GLIClientController.py", line 197, in run
GLI: September 08 2006 08:14:15 - File "/opt/installer/GLIArchitectureTemplate.py", line 1216, in set_root_password
    raise GLIException("SetRootPasswordError", 'fatal', 'set_root_password', "Failure to set root password!") GLI: September 08 2006 08:14:15 - GLIException: SetRootPasswordError :FATAL: set_root_password: Failure to set root password!

and with a minimal install:
Code:

GLI: September 08 2006 08:49:22 - Fetching and unpacking tarball: ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo//releases/amd64/current/stages/
GLI: September 08 2006 08:49:23 - This is a bad thing. An exception occured outside of the normal install errors. The error was: 'local variable 'format_option' referenced before assignment'
GLI: September 08 2006 08:49:23 - Traceback (most recent call last):
GLI: September 08 2006 08:49:23 - File "/opt/installer/GLIClientController.py", line 197, in run
GLI: September 08 2006 08:49:23 - File "/opt/installer/GLIArchitectureTemplate.py", line 308, in unpack_stage_tarball
    GLIUtility.fetch_and_unpack_tarball(self._install_profile.get_stage_tarball_uri(), self._chroot_dir, temp_directory=self._chroot_dir, keep_permissions=True, cc=self._cc)
GLI: September 08 2006 08:49:23 - File "/opt/installer/GLIUtility.py", line 571, in fetch_and_unpack_tarball
    tar_options += format_option
GLI: September 08 2006 08:49:23 - UnboundLocalError: local variable 'format_option' referenced before assignment

I have tried to install from the minimal CD, the Live CD and the DVD ISO's. I don't think I have a hardware issue because Fedora Core 5 installed fine (i386 and AMD64), as did SuSE 10.1 (AMD64), slackware slamd, FreeBSD 6.1 (i386 and AMD64); Ubuntu, Kubuntu and debain all finish their install but all have failed on the reboot.

FWIW I was able to install gentoo in a VMWare machine (on a SuSE host) and the install was flawless.

I would like to get this working.... It looks like a great distro. I'll try noapic and see what happens.

-JJ
(edited to correct to noapic)

Last edited by jjthomas on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd avoid the gui installer altogether. From what I've read, it's not ready for prime time.

NOTE: When I say "gui installer" that includes starting the gui installer from the command prompt. The info I was giving was assuming you were NOT using that installer.
jjthomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the text based installer, from the gnome desktop. HOWEVER(!) I have gotten a successful minimal install by booting with the
command: gentoo-nofb noapic :D

I am going to do a full install this evening and will report the final results here.

-JJ
neraath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I've definitely had the same issue with the installer. I first had a problem with the GUI not loading, but that's probably due to the fact that I have a non-standard monitor (Dell 2105FPW) and the sync's are probably not right.

But, from what I've been able to determine through the logs is that either the get_uri function is not really obtaining the file (though a different error should spew from that), or when trying to determine the extension of the actual file, it's not correctly determining the extension. Since the format_option is not previously initialized in the code, that's why the command-line installer program fails out.

I haven't been able to get anything but a stage3 install to work from the command line installer as a result of this. Stage 1 and Stage 2 both fail, and I would be willing to bet if you tried using the internet sources for a stage 3 install, it would fail as well.
cweldon@cerberusonline.com
jjthomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GUI loads and seems to run fine, at least at the start. Yes, the internet sources failed as well.

I guess my next questions are, is gentoo really an option for me? ..and are there other people that are having the same problem that were able to come up with a solution? Here is my latest error:
Code:

GLI: September 09 2006 18:04:03 - Exception received during 'Installing additional packages.': EmergePackageError :FATAL: emerge: Could not emerge sys-apps/pmount-0.9.6!
GLI: September 09 2006 18:04:03 - Traceback (most recent call last):
GLI: September 09 2006 18:04:03 - File "/opt/installer/GLIClientController.py", line 197, in run
GLI: September 09 2006 18:04:03 - File "/opt/installer/GLIArchitectureTemplate.py", line 357, in install_packages
    self._portage.emerge(installpackages)
GLI: September 09 2006 18:04:03 - File "/opt/installer/GLIPortage.py", line 265, in emerge
    raise GLIException("EmergePackageError", "fatal", "emerge", "Could not emerge " + pkg + "!")
GLI: September 09 2006 18:04:03 - GLIException: EmergePackageError :FATAL: emerge: Could not emerge sys-apps/pmount-0.9.6!

-JJ
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjthomas wrote:
I guess my next questions are, is gentoo really an option for me?

Sure it is.

Since the GLI is really a work in progress and doesn't work for everyone, your best bet is to do a traditional Gentoo installation.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml
jjthomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to boot gentoo-nofb noapic nox and ran it as a networkless installation. The installation was completed sucessfully.

For my next question: should I build on this install, i.e. start adding other packages.... rather emerging other packages... or would it be worth a shot to boot "gentoo-nofb noapic nox" and try a network based install?

-JJ
jjthomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjthomas wrote:
...or would it be worth a shot to boot "gentoo-nofb noapic nox" and try a network based install?

Failed setting root password.

-JJ
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: