View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shockertwin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Gnome wont install nicely 2006.1 Reply with quote

Ok so with every other gentoo i just threw in my use flag and everything worked ok :).

With 2006.1 i am having to type in a seperate use flag for EVERY package almost. i am not going to sit there to sit there for 8 hours and manually type in every use flag that i need every time portage sais **** u.

I have even had problems with even though a requested flag is set in make.conf, portage still tells me that i need a proper flag to be set. Even when i remove the use variable altogether portage gets mad at me.

All i want is a basic gnome setup, so which flags will i need to set in order to install gnome?
Nick C
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not entirely sure i know what you mean when you say "portage gets mad", perhaps you can post some example output?
If you post the contents of your /etc/make.conf and emerge --info output it might help too.

I also run gnome, my USE flags are:
Code:

USE="-apache apache2 -kde -qt -qt3 -qt4 -arts -oss -xine -seamonkey \
    eds esd alsa gstreamer gtk2 gnome nvidia opengl win32codecs X \
    hal dbus mono java branding cdr dvdr flac dvd theora firefox acpi \
    3dnow sse sse2 -apm dvdread -xmms xvid divx quicktime xv samba \
    3dnowext aac mmxext real xvmc x264 matroska nsplugin mp4 bluetooth \
    usb msn musepack trayicon vnc unicode authdaemond pdf X \
    gd xmlrpc xmlreader mysql avi gif ntplonly beagle jpeg truetype \
    png ogg gtk spell gdbm berkdb dovecot-sasl xscreensaver mad vorbis \
    xml mp3 encode sdl mpeg gtk2"

Not all of them are needed for gnome (really just gnome gtk2 gtk and -kde -qt -qt3 -qt4 will do), ones like dovecot-sasl for example are only needed because i run dovecot imapd, do be careful of where i use mmx, sse, sse2 and other processor specific use flags incase your processor doesnt support that feature.
shockertwin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick C wrote:
Im not entirely sure i know what you mean when you say "portage gets mad", perhaps you can post some example output?
If you post the contents of your /etc/make.conf and emerge --info output it might help too.

I also run gnome, my USE flags are:
Code:

USE="-apache apache2 -kde -qt -qt3 -qt4 -arts -oss -xine -seamonkey \
    eds esd alsa gstreamer gtk2 gnome nvidia opengl win32codecs X \
    hal dbus mono java branding cdr dvdr flac dvd theora firefox acpi \
    3dnow sse sse2 -apm dvdread -xmms xvid divx quicktime xv samba \
    3dnowext aac mmxext real xvmc x264 matroska nsplugin mp4 bluetooth \
    usb msn musepack trayicon vnc unicode authdaemond pdf X \
    gd xmlrpc xmlreader mysql avi gif ntplonly beagle jpeg truetype \
    png ogg gtk spell gdbm berkdb dovecot-sasl xscreensaver mad vorbis \
    xml mp3 encode sdl mpeg gtk2"

Not all of them are needed for gnome (really just gnome gtk2 gtk and -kde -qt -qt3 -qt4 will do), ones like dovecot-sasl for example are only needed because i run dovecot imapd, do be careful of where i use mmx, sse, sse2 and other processor specific use flags incase your processor doesnt support that feature.

Code:

gnome gtk2 gtk -kde -qt -qt3 -qt4

That is what i was trying to install gnome with (those exact flags actually). What i mean by "portage getting mad" is i get an error saying for example

Code:
cairo requires the jpg use flag to be installed

or somethign along those lines. So i add that flag to my USE='' in make.conf and i get the same error. So i just hard code it

Code:
USE="jpg" emerge cairo

So then this works. But then i get another error from another package requiring png, so i added png to the use flag and it worked. Which is another reason i am confused (adding it to the use flag didnt work for jpg, but it did for png???). My issue is that this is getting terribly annoying. I requested using my USE to only have a basic gnome install, but no matter how i cange it, all i can get is portage installing a whole bunch of extra packages that i didnt request in my use flag. Then i am getting install errors because the flag for the package doesnt exist.
Nick C
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately gnome does require a number of dependencies and some USE flags must be enabled, chances are your using a 2006.1 install cd (or stage)? If so your installing using the 2006.1 profile which, as far as i can tell has changed some of the default USE flags enabled by default, in previous releases USE flags such as jpeg were enabled at the profile level and so werent needed in make.conf, now they arent set by the profile so are needed to build that functionality (gnome and other programs that need cairo would be kinda pointless without the ability to render jpeg images, so gnome requires cairo to have jpeg support), its the way it is.
If you go through my USE flags and pick out a sensible set, you shouldnt have much trouble building gnome. If your trying to install a minimal gnome, then you would be better off using gnome-light (think thats the package name) that has fewer dependencies.
You should understand though that you wont be able to build a functional gnome desktop with just gnome and gtk USE flags, thats not what those flags are their for and you should take another look at some of the guides explaining portage and USE flags.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: