Confused about DRM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbeardmcg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Confused about DRM Reply with quote

I am trying to get my xgl working, but I am having problems with DRM.

When I build DRM into the kernel, X works, and so does compiz, but it is very slow and glitchy, and I get this error:
Code:
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM

If i remove it from the kernel and try to use libdrm, X won't even start.

I get a build error when I try to install x11-drm
Code:
 CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/ati_pcigart.o
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/ati_pcigart.c: In function 'drm_ati_free_pcigart_table':
/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/ati_pcigart.c:87: error: 'struct page' has no member named 'count'
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core/ati_pcigart.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/x11-drm-20050502/work/drm/linux-core] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-gentoo-r7'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
 * Portage could not build the DRM modules. If you see an ACCESS DENIED error,
 * this could mean that you were using an unsupported kernel build system. All
 * 2.4 kernels are supported, but only 2.6 kernels at least as new as 2.6.6
 * are supported.

My question is, what should I be using? I am using the radeon driver provided by MESA, but have no problem trying to swith to ati-drivers if it will give me better performance. Should I use the DRM in the kernel? libdrm? x11-drm?

I am lost :?

Thanks!
freelight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DRM in the kernel is really old and should not be used unless you have a really old card. The radeon and r300 drivers provided by DRI (you should be using r300 if you have a Radeon 9500 or later) are getting better, and are entirely free.
If you don't have any qualms about using proprietary drivers, try out ati-drivers - they should perform better and be relatively glitch-free.

"Let the gremlins eat your soul... it's invigorating." --LD
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freelight wrote:
The DRM in the kernel is really old and should not be used unless you have a really old card.

Not quite true. My ati9600se runs quite well with the kernel drivers (gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r7).

redbeardmcg wrote:
My question is, what should I be using?

It really depends on what kind of ati gpu you got, as freelight pointed out.
redbeardmcg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Radeon 9200 AGP card (ya, I know, it is old.) I merged ati-drivers, ran aticonfig and updated my xorg, and ran eselect opengl set ati, and the x log looks like everything is loading perfectly (drm, glx, etc...), but when before X or XGL loads, my screen blanks and nothing happens. Any ideas on how to get my Xgl working again? Thanks again... Ryan
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbeardmcg wrote:
I am using a Radeon 9200 AGP card (ya, I know, it is old.) I merged ati-drivers, ran aticonfig and updated my xorg, and ran eselect opengl set ati, and the x log looks like everything is loading perfectly (drm, glx, etc...), but when before X or XGL loads, my screen blanks and nothing happens. Any ideas on how to get my Xgl working again? Thanks again... Ryan
A ati 9200 is about the best card you could get, if you want open source drivers. :wink: The kernel driver oughta work just perfect and should get you even better fps than with the proprietary fglrx drivers from ati. Also XGL should work just fine.
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:
A ati 9200 is about the best card you could get, if you want open source drivers. :wink: The kernel driver oughta work just perfect and should get you even better fps than with the proprietary fglrx drivers from ati. Also XGL should work just fine.
Yeah it rocks 8) I actually bought a 9250 for my new mythtvbox (my old desktop which i am typing this message on) and it has even better performance in quake3 than the 9600se with the r300 opensource driver.

And to confirm, the in kernel drm modules work fine.
redbeardmcg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, making some progress. I found that it worked as long as I built drm as a modules, and added it to modules.autoload, but nowwww, another problem.

If i run normal X, everything works great... but when I try to launch XGL, my screen just goes blank and i have to switch vts.... this is in the log

Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request:  129 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  1 (X_GLXRender)
  Serial number of failed request:  106
  Current serial number in output stream:  107

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: