Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Playstation 2 with IVTV and hauppauge PVR 150?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master_d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Playstation 2 with IVTV and hauppauge PVR 150? Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive wanted to hook up a real PS2 to my PVR-150 for some time now and I can do it but the problem is that the hardware mpeg encoder will take some time (about 1-2 seconds) to encode the video and that results in the video I see on the monitor being behind what I am doing on the PS2 controller. It works fine for live TV since it doesnt matter that the audio and video are behind a couple seconds but for playing games on a console it simply does not work.

I found this "hack" as a way to get around the problem in windows....

Quote:
Enable Live Preview , bypass encoder for 0 delay and fast channel change

This will bypass the decoder and result in a 0 sec image delay as well as faster chanel change. Very useful if you plan to hook up your gameconsole.

Note : Live preview won’t work with all driver version, most of the 1,7 version work and some of the 1,6 just. There are to many drivers to list every driver here, so just test it and see if it works.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hauppauge\hcwTVWnd]

"LivePreview"=dword:00000001 (1 for on, 0 for off)

just curious if anyone has found a way to bypass the encoder under linux.... apparently it is possible.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Are you trying to use this setup with Gentoo? Are you asking for help with the kernel module for the card or are you trying to find some software that allows you to use the card without delay?

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Master_d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any solution to this problem would be great.... yes I am using gentoo and the card has been set up properly and works just fine with mythtv for recording programs off television but it doesnt technically "work" for playing games on a PS2 or other peripheral due to the 1-2 second lag involved when you connect such a device to the composite input of the hauppauge card.

Right now I am reading about the IVTV drivers and trying to find a way to "bypass" the hardware mpeg encoder and just display the raw stream immediately to alleviate this problem. Apparently under windows this has been done but I dont think it works under linux yet.
Master_d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure if anyone else is trying to hook up some sort of system to their PVR card but I found a solution that "sorta" works. its not 100% lag free but its alot better.

anyways I found out /dev/video32 is a raw YUV video format but it is a "proprietary" hauppauge YUV format so you would think you would have no chance of playing it back but it turns out mplayer can play back this format!! unbelievable. I have alot of respect for the people coding for mplayer now :D heres how to play it back

this for NTSC
Code:
mplayer -nocache /dev/video32 -demuxer rawvideo -rawvideo w=720:h=480:format=hm12

I have the video line running to the PVR and the audio cables running to the back of my receiver and it works to some extent.
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master_d wrote:
Im not sure if anyone else is trying to hook up some sort of system to their PVR card but I found a solution that "sorta" works. its not 100% lag free but its alot better.

anyways I found out /dev/video32 is a raw YUV video format but it is a "proprietary" hauppauge YUV format so you would think you would have no chance of playing it back but it turns out mplayer can play back this format!! unbelievable. I have alot of respect for the people coding for mplayer now :D heres how to play it back

this for NTSC
Code:
mplayer -nocache /dev/video32 -demuxer rawvideo -rawvideo w=720:h=480:format=hm12

I have the video line running to the PVR and the audio cables running to the back of my receiver and it works to some extent.

I tried this and i get a nice video, but there seems to be extra stuff being played on the right side that isnt part of the image and doesn't update
I also get no audio
Master_d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm thats odd... the video on mine looked ok just maybe a little dark. I did notice if you tried to fast forward or rewind the video then it start looking very strange. As far as the audio goes Im not sure where you are plugging your device in but if it is the back of the hauppauge card try this

Code:
mplayer -nocache /dev/video24 -demuxer rawaudio channels=2:rate=48000

"video24" is oddly enough the PCM stream of the hauppauge card.
babyford
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you're awesome.

I was having the same issue, plugging my xbox into my pvr 500 (150). The prebuffering was killing me, but i'm also exhibiting similer symptoms with another channel forcing it's way into half of my screen. However! The delay that made the xbox unplayable are gone, i'll keep looking at your flags. :P

Thanks again. :P
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so now we have
Code:
for video
and
Code:
mplayer -nocache /dev/video24 -demuxer rawaudio channels=2:rate=48000
for audio

but how does one go playing them together? I don't know how to make mplayer play two things at once
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: