Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
is there a program to add lyrics to mp3/ogg tags?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roguetoad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: is there a program to add lyrics to mp3/ogg tags? Reply with quote

Just got an iaudio u3 player. It has some windows software that lets you add lyrics to the id3v2 tags that then show up as the song is playing. Not having a ready copy of windows around, I am hoping to find a linux equivalent.
I hunted around the portage package database and did a quick google, but came up empty-handed.
Anybody know of something like this?
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyris in an audio tag? That is a lot of metadata to cram in there.

WIth Ogg Vorbis I know you can add any tags you like. I'd look the docs for oggenc, vorbis-tools, etc.
roguetoad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

i dug around a bit more and the id3v2 tags do indeed have official tags for SYLT and USLT, synchronized and unsynchronized lyrcs respectively. There is a company doing this for iTunes on the Mac. Link, http://www.scriptsoftware.com/composer/
There is also winamp plugin for SYLT tags here, http://sites.rapidus.net/gpatrick/en/indexen.html, but it hasn't been under active development for a while. And finally there is a small online database with timetags already added to the lyrics here,[url] http://www.lrcdb.org/[/url]

So it seems that prior art and all the pieces are there, just not on the linux side. Easytag doesn't even understand any tags beyond the basic album/artist/genre type of information. A possibility is the with the id3v2 command line tag editor that seemingly can modify the SYLT and ULST tags. So assuming I can find the song on lrcdb.org I could the tag manually and eventually with a script. It also seems you can even embed cover/album art and other things in the id3v2 tags.

[begin musing] I see a lot of music managers under linux keep track of either a separate database or keep in separate files all this info. It seems more logical to me to embed it into the tags. That's what they're there for. Keeping the metadata separate just makes it so you have to duplicate all this metadata on every player/computer you want to see it on. [/end musing]
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of graphical tag-editors available - i know you can manipulate both v1 & v2 tags with them, but i'm not sure about this 'SYLT' business...

For KDE there's 'kid3', & for Gnome, 'tagtool'.

If you're more of a CLI kinda guy, i can't help ya. :roll:
jhr0771
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that the ipod can display the lyrics if they are embedded in the mp3 file. Is there a tool in linux ( gnome) to do this ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: