32-bit libs on AMD64 - compiled instead of emul-linux bins
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayqazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: 32-bit libs on AMD64 - compiled instead of emul-linux bins Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm proposing the addition of the multilib use flag to more of the important libraries that are around, for those who would prefer them to the binaries that are currently used in the emul-linux setup. I'm not suggesting a replacement for emul-linux, just an alternative. I myself would prefer 32-bit X libs that have been compiled from the same sources as the 64 bit ones in /usr/lib32, rather than binaries or a chroot.

Problems with a chroot is that, for example, if I have a 32-bit firefox so I can use the 32-bit flash plugin, when I click on an email link, it won't open up my 64-bit thunderbird.

Problem with binaries is, I would prefer to compile things myself (for example, I don't like gnome theme support in firefox, which the binaries probably include).

Has anybody else wanted to do this? Have I not thought of problems that would crop up that others have already considered? (although if it works for glibc, why can't it work for others?)

I repeat: I'm not saying get rid of emul-linux, but am simply suggesting support for the multilib flag on packages for those who don't want them.

Perhaps we could start with the X libs, since they are arguably the most used libraries after glibc. Perhaps we can get some kind of library code in portage that will then make it easier to specify multilib configuration for other software?

Thanks
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would require use based deps, something that's been planned for a long time but isn't there yet.
thedude0001
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line: There is work being done towards "true" multilib. It won't be using the multilib USE flag (which is still present for historical reasons, does exactly nothing as of now and won't be used in the future) and once it is there it will probably replace the emul-linux-* packages which were always intended to be a temporary solution only (and are a pain to maintain from what I heard).

However an ETA for this has not been set, it still is in the early stages of development (though development has started after being dead for quite a while) and I wouldn't hold my breath on this arriving any time soon...
ayqazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that's good news. Will I, for example, be able to use 32-bit firefox along side everything else, such that I can use 32-bit plugins? I.e. will I be allowed to choose whether to install a package as a 32-bit one or 64-bit one?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: