Partitioning question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
el3ktro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Partitioning question Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a question about partitioning. Currently, I have / on sda1 (8GB), swap on sda2 (1GB) and /home on sda3 (~70GB). I'm currently running Ubuntu, but I want to switch to Gentoo because I have lots of problems with my Intel Core Duo on Ubuntu, and I had Gentoo on it previously and it ran much better.

The thing is, I want to be completely on XFS for all partitions, but afaik Grub doesn't support XFS, so I thought I have a small (32MB) Ext2 partition for boot split up from sda1. The problem is, I definitely want to keep my /home partiton, so the question is, can I split sda1 into a mall 32MB partiition - which will be sda1, then sda2 will be ~8GB / partiition, and the current sda2 swap partition becomes sda3, and the current sda3 /home partition becomes sda4? Well I hope you know hat I mean. I just want to add one small partition at the beginning of the harddisk, and make all current partition numbers +1. I hope this is possible because I didn't manage to install Gentoo on a XFS partition earlier with the LiveCD and GRP networkless install.

Tom
limn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from lilo to grub 0.97-r2 on a box with an XFS root partition last weekend without problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: