View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kvetch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Logitech G5 mouse button issues Reply with quote

Hello, I recently got a new Logitech G5 mouse - http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/images/logitech_G5.jpg and I am having some issues configuring the buttons to work like I hoped. The mouse has a total of 6 buttons – Left Click, Right Click, Middle (Scroll button), Scroll Wheel Left, Scroll Wheel Right and then a thumb button on the side. I would like the 3 standard buttons to work normally but I would like the thumb button to be the “BACK” button and then the tilt scroll buttons to tilt in the appropriate direction. I thought I would just use the following to configure the buttons but this did not work. No matter what I tried the two tilts act as BACK & FORWARD.
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "evdev"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Name" "Logitech USB Gaming Mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection

I also tried
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "evdev"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Buttons" "6"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "5 6 4"
EndSection

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "evdev"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Buttons" "6"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6"
EndSection

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the tilt wheels to tilt and the thumb button to trigger the BACK event?

Semi-off topic - Is there a way to program commands or events into each button, so like if I tilted right it would close an open window or something like that?

Thanks,
Nick
dewke
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try this document to help configure the extra buttons.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of these are you running:
Code:
emerge xorg-server xf86-input-evdev -pv

I have a G7 which is the same mouse but with a laser and a button for resolution changes.
My mouse setup in xorg.conf is as simple as
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier      "Logitech G7"
         Driver          "evdev"
         Option          "Name"          "Logitech USB Receiver"
EndSection

All buttons, scroll wheels (all 4) work out of the box. You don't need imwheel or xmodmap or anything to get the basic functionality.
Once that is OK, you can use those apps to set events for apps like firefox. (In konqueror they all work already for me.)
Kvetch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I don't have access to that machine right now so I can't check which versions I am running but the machine was built only weeks ago and I last updated it a week or two.
I hadn't seen that doc before - thanks.
Silly me, I actually hadn't tried not setting the ZAxisMapping.
All the buttons actually work they are just not mapped how I would like them.
Headrush - my G5 is the same laser mouse just corded. What actions do your thumb button and tilt buttons do.

Thanks again.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kvetch wrote:
Headrush - my G5 is the same laser mouse just corded. What actions do your thumb button and tilt buttons do.

I'm a KDE man so I can only speak for those apps, but vertical and horizontal scrolling works in applicable apps like konqueror. (side scroll on wide pages)

For apps like firefox, mapping will be required. By default firefox changes tabs on horizontal scroll (when tabs used), and does forward and back when only 1 tab.
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the button mappings correct on my G5, I had to use Xmodmap called in my kderc.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ast0r wrote:
To get the button mappings correct on my G5, I had to use Xmodmap called in my kderc.

You should state the versions of xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev you are using also.
(These threads can get confusing since we run different versions and things are changing so much in xorg)
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
Ast0r wrote:

You should state the versions of xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev you are using also.
(These threads can get confusing since we run different versions and things are changing so much in xorg)

Oh, I'm sorry. I am using Xorg-7.1 (xorg-server-1.1.1-r1) with xf86-input-evdev-1.1.2-r2.
Kvetch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I too am running evdev 1.1.2-r2 and Xorg 7.1.
I am trying the xmodmap now
Kvetch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the following from the http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Advanced_Mouse/Individual_Configurations#Logitech_G5.2C_G7
Code:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 3 2 4 5 8 9 6 7 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32"
Warning: Only changing the first 32 of 20 buttons.

and now my thumb button does do the Back function but the tilt doesn't work and the middle click acts as a left click and right click does a paste for some reason.

Any clues?
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have for my G5 ....

In ~/.kde/Autostart/mouse_map
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

and then in ~/.Xmodmap
Code:
pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 7 6 8 9 10 11 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

This is so that the tilt wheel functions as "back" and "forward" in my browser. I dunno if that helps or not; I hope so.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think xmodmap is what you want. Flipping button order will probably fix one app, while possibly breaking another.

I think you need imwheel or xbindkeys to map actions to specific buttons on a per application basis.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't need the evdev driver in order to get the extra buttons of your mouse working. Older versions of xf86-input-mouse were broken and people began to use xf86-input-evdev and write documentation how to use it.

Versions since xf86-input-mouse-1.0.4 support multiple mouse buttons / scroll wheels without problems.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
You really don't need the evdev driver in order to get the extra buttons of your mouse working. Older versions of xf86-input-mouse were broken and people began to use xf86-input-evdev and write documentation how to use it.

Versions since xf86-input-mouse-1.0.4 support multiple mouse buttons / scroll wheels without problems.

The difference being that evdev is moving to auto-detection where you need not set anything in xorg.conf.
(You can change to a different mouse without editting xorg.conf.)

It looks like in Xorg 7.3 evdev's auto detection along with true hotplugging will be the norm.

Just some of the advantages to evdev IMHO.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
The difference being that evdev is moving to auto-detection where you need not set anything in xorg.conf.
(You can change to a different mouse without editting xorg.conf.)
You can't change your mouse, if you, it's a bug. With evdev you have an InputDevice section with at least an Identifier Option, a driver Option and a Name Option. The Name option is something like "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse" which is different for all devices :)

Quote:
It looks like in Xorg 7.3 evdev's auto detection along with true hotplugging will be the norm.

Just some of the advantages to evdev IMHO.
Current Xorg-servers have auto configuration already. This isn't the same as hotplugging, but it works quite well. I don't have any InputDevice sections in my xorg.conf and it finds my keyboard and mouse. Per default Xorg takes /dev/input/mice as the mouse device. This is the device node representing all mice, so I can remove and plug back my mouse whenever I want. It keeps working.

This is my serverlayout (no input devices)
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "normal"
        Screen          "Screen0"
EndSection

And this is what my xorg-server logs at startup:
Code:
(WW) <default pointer>: No Device specified, looking for one...
(II) <default pointer>: Setting Device option to "/dev/input/mice"
(--) <default pointer>: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(==) <default pointer>: Protocol: "Auto"

Works like a charm. And people saying xf86-input-mouse can't handle all mouse buttons are parrots repeating and old bug.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
You can't change your mouse, if you, it's a bug. With evdev you have an InputDevice section with at least an Identifier Option, a driver Option and a Name Option. The Name option is something like "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse" which is different for all devices :)

100% Wrong. I have no NAME option.
I can freely switch between my different mice without any change to xorg.conf.

Here is my InputDevice section
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse"
        Driver          "evdev"
        Option "evBits"  "+1-2"
        Option "keyBits" "~272-287"
        Option "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
        Option "Pass"    "3"
EndSection

Obviously an Identifier is needed to use in ServerLayout and you have to specify the evdev driver, but neither of these are specific to the mouse used and can stay unchanged always.

irondog wrote:
Current Xorg-servers have auto configuration already. This isn't the same as hotplugging, but it works quite well. I don't have any InputDevice sections in my xorg.conf and it finds my keyboard and mouse. Per default Xorg takes /dev/input/mice as the mouse device. This is the device node representing all mice, so I can remove and plug back my mouse whenever I want. It keeps working.

There is a difference between using built in defaults and true auto detection.
In some cases the defaults may work including all buttons on some mice, but this is not always true.
Showing a single case where something fails can be used to disapprove a idea, but showing a single case where it works cannot be used to show something is valid in all cases.

irondog wrote:
And people saying xf86-input-mouse can't handle all mouse buttons are parrots repeating and old bug.

Never said it couldn't handle it. Just providing people with an alternate method.

It's all about choice and I'm glad your method works for you irondog. :)
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
100% Wrong. I have no NAME option.
Yes. I was wrong. With only an Identifier and Driver option it won't work, but when specifying the relBits option it works. I'm sorry.

Quote:
I can freely switch between my different mice without any change to xorg.conf.
Me too, not using evdev.

Quote:
There is a difference between using built in defaults and true auto detection.
In some cases the defaults may work including all buttons on some mice, but this is not always true.
Showing a single case where something fails can be used to disapprove a idea, but showing a single case where it works cannot be used to show something is valid in all cases.

It's all about choice and I'm glad your method works for you irondog. :)
I swithed to evdev when it was the only way to get all my buttons working. It turns out it didn't work due a bug. I don't need evdev and neither will most of the people.

My final point is, that auto configuration works great, and I like to keep my xorg.conf as small and clean as possible. Input- and output hotplugging will make xorg.conf even cleaner. Then again I have to admit that configuring evdev is less dirty and less device-specific than I thought it was. Now you have to admit that the "Name" option and formerly "Dev Phys" are really ugly and not quite laptop friendly.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
Now you have to admit that the "Name" option and formerly "Dev Phys" are really ugly and not quite laptop friendly.

No argument there.

I'm curious how different the mice you swap between are? (buttons, wheels)
(As this is for personal learning, you can PM the answer. No need to pollute the thread.)

I know the default xorg scanning will see the different mice, but does it properly setup up all wheels, buttons, etc.

Last edited by Headrush on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
irondog wrote:
Now you have to admit that the "Name" option and formerly "Dev Phys" are really ugly and not quite laptop friendly.

No argument there.
Agreed, because they are (no longer) needed :)

Quote:
I know the default xorg scanning will see the different mice, but does it properly setup up all wheels, buttons, etc.
I need to xmodmap to get it fully working (If that's what you mean). But I'm already configuring many options in my desktop startup scripts instead of my xorg.conf, so I'm fine with that. I like runtime configuration, that's why I threw away my input device sections :).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: