Grub skips menu, can't use USB keyboard [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkJedi9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Grub skips menu, can't use USB keyboard [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I did a system update recently. It had been a while so I'd imagine grub was in there but sad to say I didn't scan the list too carefully so it might not have been. At any rate, after the update grub is ignoring my grub.conf file and going directly to a prompt. At the prompt if I simply run the kernel command with my kernel and then run boot, everything is fine, but I have no idea why it's not just booting the kernel like it used to. My grub.conf is as follows.
Code:
default 0
timeout 3

title=Gentoo 2.6.16
root (hd0,1)
kernel /gentoo-2.6.16.bzImage root=/dev/hda1
color blue/black

My menu.lst is a symlink to grub.conf, and I'm not sure what else to check. If additional information is required I'll be happy to provide it.

Also, about a month ago I got a USB keyboard (Microsoft Ergonomic) and Grub does not recognize it. My BIOS recognizes it, and once Gentoo starts to boot it sees the keyboard as well, but grub doesn't. Since this problem has developed I've been forced to plug in my old PS/2 one to boot the machine. Is there a USE flag or anything to fix this or am I out of luck?

Last edited by DarkJedi9 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my completely unedicated guess would be to 1) remove the = from the title= line (make it "title Gentoo....", instead of "title=Gentoo...") and 2) remove the color line.

as to your keyboard... try to enable usb legacy (keyboard) support in your bios. grub expects keyboard entries using the... err.. simply put: "old protocol", not the USB one. USB-enabled BIOSes can usually emulate that, thus allowing you to use a USB keyboard with "old", i.e. non-usb-enabled OSs and bootloaders.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Penguin of Wonder
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had your problem - minus the keyboard issue - a while back after updating GCC and doing an emerge -e world and system. To fix I booted back up the live CD, chrooted back into my system using the handbook, then skipped through the handbook to the "Configuring your bootloader" section, and then followed that like I had never done it before. Worked like a charm for me. Hope it helps you.

(Granted my way is probably the hardway and/or the overly complicated, but again it worked)

AMD64 3700+
2G DDR 3200 Ram
320G HDD
belrpr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keyboard problem is the legacy problem.
Then you can edit the grub boot.

Other way of fixing things is using a live cd and chroot back.
DarkJedi9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the major issue is out of the way. Grub now brings up the menu at least. No keyboard for now but I set the timeout to 3 seconds so that's tolerable at the moment. Is what fixed it was redoing the "grub-install /dev/hda" step. I had tried this before actually, but gotten some error about no corresponding BIOS drive. (Sorry I forgot about that when I made my post. :oops: )That's of course a ridiculous error but I wasn't sure how to fix it. I did some poking and found /boot/grub/device.map, which looked like this:
Code:
(fd0)   /dev/null
(hd0)   /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

I checked, and the path it gave for hd0 didn't exist! I decided to be terribly blunt about it and changed device.map to look like this:
Code:
(fd0)   /dev/null
(hd0)   /dev/hda

Running grub-install /dev/hda worked fine and my grub menu is back! So thanks there everyone.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything about legacy keyboards or usb legacy in my BIOS. Perhaps I'll give it one more look later but I wanted everyone who posted to know that grub is functional again.
DarkJedi9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last look did the trick. I found an option (in a poorly-named submenu) to enable USB keyboards and USB boot devices on boot, and now the the keyboard works great in Grub.
Penguin of Wonder
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your second version of the device.map for grub is definatly the right one. I've never seen one that looked like your first one.

AMD64 3700+
2G DDR 3200 Ram
320G HDD
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: