Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
But seriously, why 11 reps? It seems like a lot to me.

I don't know the reasoning behind the number 11 but I'm glad that they didn't pick just 3 or 5 of us (especially since I was number 10! :lol:). There is a lot of work to be done and considering how big our community is (forums, IRC, ML, many different languages and cultures), I think it was a wise choice to take a whole lot of us. All of us come from a different corner in some way, which makes it easier for us to have a feel what is going on in Gentoo's user community. We also have to find our way around in the devs community and get to know them better and we are trying to build various channels to gather infos and suggestions, so too much staff will not be our problem. :wink:
kopp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moreover, we can't work full time on it, so we need to be a lot so there is always someone that can help.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mainly it is because some are from the forums, some are from the mailing lists and some are from irc
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisWhite wrote:
As a dev, I'd basically like a userrep to tell me the following:

1) When something appears to be a good idea for development
2) When someone leaves Gentoo for reasons that could have been prevented through reasonable methods
3) To express a pattern he/she has noticed in the community, both positive and negative

That's about it.

I'll second that. Especially #3.
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richfish wrote:
3. Notifying developers of important trends in the user community. Example: anybody else notice a dramatic rise in the use of overlays, fex Xgl?

That one thing I'd like ask the userreps:

Open GL in X11 is clearly a thing a *lot* of people want to use, but I don't see any *official* projects about it, nor *official* documentation, while Red Hat and Ubuntu are almost there. I'd like to know what's the current status.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renrutal wrote:
richfish wrote:
3. Notifying developers of important trends in the user community. Example: anybody else notice a dramatic rise in the use of overlays, fex Xgl?

Open GL in X11 is clearly a thing a *lot* of people want to use, but I don't see any *official* projects about it, nor *official* documentation, while Red Hat and Ubuntu are almost there. I'd like to know what's the current status.
do you mean XGL?
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renrutal wrote:
richfish wrote:

I'm using AIGLX and compiz provided by portage, no overlay. Take a look at hanno's blog for more infos. :wink:
CoffeeBuzz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renrutal wrote:
richfish wrote:

Compiz is now in portage. AIGLX is enabled in the current xorg-server in portage. Xgl will not be in portage until it gets merged into the main xorg-server branch (currently it resides as sort of a fork of xorg-server in its own branch).

You have no idea how long I've pursued this issue. Months and months and days and months, but its considered resolved for the above reasons.

In anycase, your userreps are well aware of this issue and are actively pursuing it!
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Userrep's Roles Reply with quote

antarus wrote:
Userreps represent the userbase as a whole; this means being courteous to other users and developers (and I realize developers and users aren't always the friendliest people; the former being unacceptable in most instances). Mostly it is difficult to get a feel for what users want done vs what I want to accomplish as a developer. This is difficult mostly because the Gentoo project has no clear goals; we have this obscure statement of purpose but no milestones or fixed goals. Thus it is difficult to mark "progress" as a distribution; except progress as measured by our users. I'd like to see users pushing for these goals, as well as feedback on what needs work.

Since reps represent the whole user base, it makes sense to have a decent amount of them (especially as people can't be monitoring all the time, as kopp mentioned.)

In terms of progress, road maps sound like a good idea. No deadlines, just what you're aiming at- which most coders like to set out anyway.

Certainly seems to be plenty of feedback about what needs work, at a higher level than fix this bug (now! ;)) maybe the proposed subforum can help.
rambam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Userrep's Roles Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
I am finding it increasingly difficult to understand my role as a userrepresentative.

Historical addendum:
cokehabit got kicked off the list of userreps, thus making the notion of userreps even more irrelevant.

I guess that questioning the status quo is fatal.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Userrep's Roles Reply with quote

rambam wrote:
Historical addendum:
cokehabit got kicked off the list of userreps, thus making the notion of userreps even more irrelevant.

I guess that questioning the status quo is fatal.

Gawd, can we not drag that up again? If you want to question anything, go ahead, either in this forum or on the project mailing-list, which is specifically for the non-technical aspects of Gentoo. Just keep it polite :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: