View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Gentoo-Wiki: Howto XGL Reply with quote

Hello there folks. Alot of you know me as one of the XGL CoffeeBuzz Overlay maintainers, but for those of you who didn't, now you know.

Getting right down to business, I find that the HOWTO_Xgl is outdated most of the time and that it contains alot of unsupported, unusual methods for getting XGL/Compiz(-quinnstorm) setup. This is why I am here today.

I'd like to propose the following, and will do so if the community agrees it needs to be done.
1) Create a new wiki for xgl and compiz.
2) Have it only editable for members dedicated and proven to know what they are doing
3) Keep it up to date because now it is only editable by those chosen, we would have less trouble keeping it up-to-date due to the nature of it being accurate and knowing what exactly needs to be changed.

The chosen people so far include:
nesl247
CoffeeBuzz
Roderick

The method in which to choose people to be able to work on the wiki needs to be decided. The reason I only specify the CoffeeBuzz team is because we are the ones who directly work on it, and the rest of you should be voted in for helping maintain this wiki.

So please do the following:

1) Post your opinion
2) Describe an idea way to choose members of this team for the wiki
3) State who you think should be chosen

I hope to hear some feedback because I believe that the most important thing we can do for the community is make the process of using these applications a lot easier.

nesl247 - Alex Heck
ChrisWhite
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, XGL seems to have it's touchy points, and is one of those things where, as you said, people that really know what they're doing should be involved. You've got my vote ;).

As for the list of people, I'm not all that familiar (except CoffeeBuzz) with many of them so, sounds good to me! ;p
trumee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very good. Go ahead with it.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeeeeeeeeez i want new xgl guide too :lol:
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF!!!

Um let me think.

YES.

The current wiki is broken to the point that is only useful for instructions on how to download the latest overlay and build the software. All other stuff (configuration, various scripts, etc) is unreliable at best. Furthermore, its confusing as POO.

A good way to get new people capable of editing the wiki would be to have nesl, coffee, and whoever else is starting on that squad add additional members if they are seen helping, and they know what they are doing, in these forums or on IRC.
_pF_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Include AIGLX? Reply with quote

Perhaps this enterprise could subsume AIGLX too.

Both systems share a lot of common software - like compiz.

The AIGLX howto itself is hopeless.

As a failed XGL aspirant, I have found the GLX howto and the xgl-coffee forums invaluable in getting AIGLX working, and the existing XGL community is already leading the way.
micr0c0sm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to volunteer to helping out with the wiki entry.

I currently have a clean, up-to-date implementation of XGL (with GDM), and gnome-session and haven't had any problems. Plus I have ideas on how to organize the wiki entry that would be easiest for the end-users.

Otherwise, yeah I support this idea.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support guys. I'm going to go ahead with this and start planning on what we are doing. Just keep up with the feedback and nominations and when it's ready to get people active, we will if needed.

And yes, AiGLX will be included because I find it to be part of this community as well.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most confusing things about the wiki is that its all one page. I think it would be nice if each subsection were a link to a seperate page. So one page for getting the source. One for portage configuration. One for building packages. One for what is needed for command line startup, one for gdm, etc...I also think it would make the stuff easier to maintain.
Ronin324
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just recently installed Xgl and was able to get it up and running by trying to go through the how to wiki guide. I did find it out of date when I was installing it but I did manage to get it up and running. Glad to see you guys taking up the challenge. I think Xgl is a really handy set of code that in my opinion should all most just be integrated into gentoo, or at least have the option to do it. Hopefully it will be an extensive guide, maybe I can even learn a few more tricks.

Good Luck
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the current wiki things are mixed very much. I would suggest separating it completey to a few subsections, for example
  • xgl compiz
  • xgl compiz-quinnstorm
  • AIGLX

Even if some of them are partialy the same, just duplicate the data. It would be more clear this way.

And every of this subsection should be clearly divided in how to set up with GDM, KDM ... And separated for KDE, Gnome, Xfce, Fluxbox (I just dream about flux support).

And please add explanations on plugins, how to configure them. I had installed compiz-quinnstorm on Athlon 1200+ with Ati card and maximizing windows was awful (on amd64 3800+ with nvidia, too). Wobbling was going on forever. I never configured it to be quick and effective as in ordinary compiz eventhough I tried for a looong time.

So, Y E S, you have my vote. I would like to help, but my knowledge about the subject is not good enough.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those suggestions zxy. You can forget about fluxbox support though. That is impossible. Compiz is a window manager, and you cannot run 2 window managers. Thus fluxbox would exit itself upon compiz --replace dbus csm or compiz --replace gconf.
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that, but we are alowed to dream, no 8)
azdruid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a great idea to me.

Also, I would be willing to invest my time in helping to write the new wiki. I've made solid contributions to the current article, and consider myself adept with words. If you think can use my help, then I volunteer it. My experience is with XGL on both ATI and Nvidia hardware under KDE. (I will of course be switching the AIGLX framework when Nvidia decides to release drivers supporting GLX_ext_fp, which is said to be sometime this month).
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Include AIGLX? Reply with quote

_pF_ wrote:

++

I just failed at the aiglx install and would like to get it working. - And if it isn't aiglx , xgl it shall be! :lol:
Also let me add that I'd appreciate having an informed staff doing a wiki. :wink:

Thanks for your work, guys!
mudrii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me vote YES for endever

I will try soon to install XGL and hope to see some nfo about procedures.

Waiting for the Wiki

Thank you and the effort is really appreciated

Regards
mudrii
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK coffeebuzz, we're all eyesandears , let's have it! :D
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Include AIGLX? Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:
_pF_ wrote:

++

I just failed at the aiglx install and would like to get it working. - And if it isn't aiglx , xgl it shall be! :lol:
Also let me add that I'd appreciate having an informed staff doing a wiki. :wink:

I used hannos overlay, copy his package.mask/package.keywords, emerge xorg-server compiz and run compiz-aiglx (only works if you have dri working with open ource drivers ofcourse)
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Include AIGLX? Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
loki99 wrote:

I used hannos overlay, copy his package.mask/package.keywords, emerge xorg-server compiz and run compiz-aiglx (only works if you have dri working with open ource drivers ofcourse)

That is what I did too, but I got a bunch of errors and X hangs when I run compiz-aiglx using the kernel drivers with my ati9250.

Last edited by loki99 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timbers2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote yes.

I'd like to see the wiki include some information on the differences between the different options. I've just started using XGL and compiz on KDE, and I have no idea what is different between compiz, compiz-quinstorm, AIGLX, etc. What is best to use in what situation? I'm using xgl and compiz with gconf per the wiki, but it seems like I'm already out of date.
Janax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ditto."

An update to the wiki page is long overdue. I notice that it's the first thing listed in Google when searching for 'Xgl howto' as well, so it really would be a great thing to have updated. While the Xgl threads are great resources, they are not easy to search through and quite a bit more context-sensitive. Since csm was started, I do a bit of lurking on the compiz.net forums just to see what changes are being made to plugins/themes... maybe some of the contributors to both those and Gentoo forums would be good candidates for wiki maintainers?

btw - thanks so much for the overlay!!!
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
OK coffeebuzz, we're all eyesandears , let's have it! :D

Just so you know, CoffeeBuzz won't be as active on it due to him not having access to his computer for a little while. It's really my initiative because I feel that there can be more than a few wiki entries on gentoo-wki.com.

This is the domain I am thinking about: gentoo-xeffects.org

This way it is generic and any future technology that might replace compiz or xgl or aiglx will be supported on the site. I'd like to have some opinions on this domain and other possible suggestions. Also what do we want on the site. Do we only want a wiki or a forum and wiki, etc etc..

It is not definite that we will have a separate site for this, but it is my goal because I feel that since gentoo won't create subforums for these topics, this would make it easier to search for problems.

nesl247 - Alex Heck
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
This is the domain I am thinking about: gentoo-xeffects.org

How about: gentoo-candy.org :)
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about: gentoo-candy.org :)

or maybe gentoo-iCandy.org
vai777
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up for the idea of having a well-updated XGL Wiki.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: