qmail and reiserfs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowhcreek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: qmail and reiserfs Reply with quote

I have noted in the qmail handbook that it is recommended that the qmail queue not be installed on a reiserfs file system. I am not an expert in this area but I gather qmail requires that all data is written synchronously to disk and reiserfs does not always do this. I also note that the ebuild for qmail appears to contain a reiserfs patch which I assume addresses this issue.

I am considering installing qmail but my /var partition is reiserfs. Could somebody please explain whether the reiserfs patch in the qmail ebuild addresses the concern, what it does and any impact it may have on other processes?
kashani
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: qmail and reiser Reply with quote

http://www.jedi.claranet.fr/qmail-tuning.html

If you're using the qmail-1.03-r8 ebuild you get the linksync patch as well as the usual witches' brew of patches qmail needs to run on today's systems and loads. linksync fixes the async filesystem problems, see the link provided for that and some reiser tuning for qmail. I'm also running my /var on Reiser and push around 500-800k messages a day with no problems.

kashani
nowhcreek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: qmail and reiserfs Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, I will have to do some homework on reiserfs so I understand the fine tuning better.

Fourier
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: