Gentoo on AMD64 Turion Dual Core
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mridul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on AMD64 Turion Dual Core Reply with quote

Hi All ... I just bought a new laptop, it has a AMD Tution 64 Bit Dual Core processor and I am planning to put Gentoo into it .. so can this be done ... i knew it was possible with AMD Tution 64, but I am not sure of Dual Core ????
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

processor type is pretty much irrelevant with linux these days. why wouldn't it work? just make sure you get acpi working, or else these dualcores can have the weirdest issues.

see this for the cflags to use, and make sure you enable SMP support in your kernel.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Turion64_.28AMD.29

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
abester
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Linux running on my Turion 64 laptop as well, and its running like a charm! You should be more worried about the compatibility of other onboard hardware like the videocard, modem, etc. And of course acpi. There was a bug in the acpi that caused the laptop to lock up when autoconfiguring devices on battery power (which was fixed in 2.6.12).
B33FC4K3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new Turion 64 X2 by ASUS and it does lock up, whenever I activate ACPI. I deactivated that for now. However it might be something with the chipset, too. The performance is really good though.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B33FC4K3 wrote:
I have a new Turion 64 X2 by ASUS and it does lock up, whenever I activate ACPI. I deactivated that for now. However it might be something with the chipset, too. The performance is really good though.

I've got an amd athlon64 x2 and originally my keyboard and random pieces of hardware wouldn't work when i used acpi. however, without acpi i had no acpi timer, leading to timing inconsistencies between the two cores, which in turn lead to very, very, very weird issues in all sorts of programs (some games, for example, would simply play normal, then accelerate all of a sudden, then jump to the next level, then work normal again, and so on). i fixed that by means of a bios update.
just trying to relate why it's important to get acpi working, especially on dual-core systems.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
dough29
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !

I have also an AMD Turion 64 x2 based laptop and wish to run Gentoo on it.

I downloaded install CD for AMD64 and stage3 for AMD64 but i'm wondering if I'm on the right way !

The first problem is that I can't run the AMD64 install CD (it boot but after... nothing !). So I'm now installing with the x86 one.

Next, do I have to use AMD64 stage or also x86 ?

Thank you !
Zubzub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B33FC4K3 wrote:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-498199.html
dough29
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dough29 wrote:
The first problem is that I can't run the AMD64 install CD (it boot but after... nothing !). So I'm now installing with the x86 one.

Problem passed.

I'm running an A6Tc Asus system and at livecd boot I needed to use the "noapic" option.

Install in progress :wink:
roninwarrior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a Turion 64 ML 52 Reply with quote

dough29 wrote:
dough29 wrote:

Problem passed.

I'm running an A6Tc Asus system and at livecd boot I needed to use the "noapic" option.

Install in progress :wink:

What was the result of your install, Dough? I too am having issues with my ASUS Z92T and AMD64 livecd. I will try to suggestion of -noacpi. Is there a way to impliment this module later on? I'd like to have access to the Power saving features inherent in the notebook. I will post later with my results.
roninwarrior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: gentoo noacpi Reply with quote

Well, with the acpi disabled and using the networkless install option, it seems to work fine. I'm looking into recompiling the DSDT, if it is indeed bugged. The model notebook I'm using from ASUS is Z92T and there are currently no BIOS upgrades available on their site. I did find, however, that the A6T is much like the Z92T in many respects. Something about being the "european" version of my notebook. Anyway, I found a pretty good HOWTO on fixing problems with your ACPI: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems. Worth checking out if you decide you want the element back for your linux install.

Anyone have any advice on the do's and don'ts for recompiling the DSDT?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: