View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chacabaou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: drag&drop in gtk apps not working anymore Reply with quote

Hello,

this problem showed up quite a long time before (about some months) and unfortunately I didn't notice it soon enough, because I rarely restart firefox, my main gtk app. Therefore, I cannot tell, which upgrade introduced the problem. Actually, this fact IS my problem. ;)

As mentioned, I can't do drag&drop in gtk applications anymore, e.g. can't move bookmarks and tabs in firefox, or images in gqview. At first, I suspected some messed configuration or profile, created a new user and noticed that the problem is definitely system-wide.

To be a little more exact on the issue: when I try to drag some item, the cursor changes as expected, but I'm not able to drop it anywhere. No matter, where I release the button, the "flying document symbol" goes back to the item's origin.

No idea, what information could be helpful... here are at least my versions and use flags of any packages matching to "gtk".
Code:
$ emerge -pv $(eix -cI --format-compact "<category>/<name>" gtk|head -n-1)
[ebuild   R   ] app-text/gtkspell-2.0.11-r1  USE="-doc" 339 kB
[ebuild   R   ] dev-ml/lablgtk-2.6.0  USE="opengl svg -debug -doc -glade -gnome -gnomecanvas" 642 kB
[ebuild   R   ] dev-perl/gtk-perl-0.7009-r2  USE="gnome opengl -gnome-print -gtkhtml" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pygtk-2.8.6  USE="opengl -doc" 739 kB
[ebuild  N    ] net-libs/libsoup-2.2.94  USE="ssl -debug -doc -static" 471 kB
[ebuild  N    ] gnome-base/gail-1.8.11  USE="-debug -doc" 570 kB
[ebuild  NS   ] gnome-extra/gtkhtml-3.10.2  USE="-debug" 1,238 kB
[ebuild   R   ] net-print/gtklp-1.2.2  USE="nls ssl" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.8.19  USE="X jpeg tiff -debug -doc -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/gtkglarea-1.99.0  USE="-debug" 205 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-themes/gtk-engines-2.6.10  USE="-accessibility -debug" 461 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-themes/gtk-theme-switch-2.0.0_rc2-r2  13 kB

Thanks in advance!
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gtk+ (in fact all Gnome packages) do not support -O3 in CFLAGS, and gtk+ is known to break with it (including drag-and-drop). Post the output from emerge --info, please.
Chacabaou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

You just don't know how thankful I'd have been, if that would be the solution. ;)

But as you can see...no -O3:
Code:
Portage 2.1.1 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.4-r3, 2.6.18-rc4 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.18-rc4 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.5
Last Sync: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 15:50:01 +0000
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.3-r1, 2.0.28-r1
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r2, 2.4.3-r3
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r6
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.60
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.13-r3
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /usr/share/genkernel/"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache confcache distlocks fixpackages metadata-transfer parallel-fetch sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mruseless:8080 http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo/"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LINGUAS=""
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/overlays/gentoo-de /usr/local/overlays/gentoo-mullet"
SYNC="rsync://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/gentoo-portage/"
USE="x86 X acpi alsa audiofile avi bash-completion bcmath berkdb bzip2 crypt cups dbus dga dri elibc_glibc encode esd fam ffmpeg gd gdbm gif gnutls gpm gtk gtk2 hbci imagemagick imap imlib input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse java jikes jpeg kde kdexdeltas kernel_linux libww mad maildir mailwrapper mmx mp3 mpeg mysql ncurses nls nptl nsplugin offensive ogg oggvorbis opengl pam pcmcia pda pdf pdflib perl png ppds python qt qt3 qt4 quicktime readline samba sasl sdl session slang snmp sockets sqlite sse sse2 ssl svg tcltk tcpd tetex threads tiff tpsmapi truetype unicode usb userland_GNU video_cards_dummy video_cards_i810 video_cards_i915 vorbis win32codecs xosd xpm xprint xv xvid zlib"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some people say it shouldn't matter, but there are others that say that gtk+ is also broken when built with gcc 4.1. If you want to rebuild it with gcc 3.x, then do the following (as root):
Code:
gcc-config -l
gcc-config <number of the gcc 3.x version you want to use>
env-update && source /etc/profile
emerge --ask --verbose --oneshot gtk+
gcc-config -l    # (optional, if you remember gcc 4.1's number)
gcc-config <number of gcc 4.1>
env-update && source /etc/profile
revdep-rebuild    # makes sure that anything that needs gtk+ to be built a certain way gets fixed

I built gtk+ with gcc 3.4.6, and also with -O2 instead of -O3 like the rest of my system, and it worked, so I haven't tried using gcc 4.1 with -O2 yet (if it's not broken, don't fix it!), so I can't tell you if this will help or not. Good luck!
Chacabaou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you advice, but unfortunately, it didn't help.
I did exactly the steps you told me, ran gqview and tried to drag&drop an image into the 'find duplicates' window (->an action, which I expected to work, but I can't tell for sure).

Maybe I missed any step? Is there a way to check, if my gtk apps do really link to gtk libraries compiled with gcc-3.4, now?
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably have to call revdep-rebuild with the --library option for each gtk+ library. If you want to test just the one program, re-emerge just that one and try your test again. Does drag & drop work with gaim conversation windows?
Chacabaou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean, recompiling gtk+ with another gcc version wouldn't have any effect until I recompile the apps linking to it?
I'd really wonder, if this is true, but I'll try (recompiling gqview).

I can't test gaim, since I don't use it. ;)
Chacabaou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that didn't help, either. :/
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am at a loss, then. I guess the next step would be to file a bug report (after making sure there isn't already one, of course). Hope you figure it out.
Chacabaou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... disappointing. :(

Well, thanks for your help anyways!
dmvianna
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed here. Recompiling Thunar did the trick (from where I was attempting to drag files to Audacious). :wink: