Other sources of help.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peenie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Other sources of help. Reply with quote

If I can't get help on a question from this forum, are there any other good sources of help out there that anybody can recommend?

Thanks,
Jason
tobr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Other sources of help. Reply with quote

peenie wrote:
If I can't get help on a question from this forum, are there any other good sources of help out there that anybody can recommend?

Thanks,
Jason

How about Google, man pages, /usr/share/doc, gentoo-wiki.com?
Do you have something specific in mind?
peenie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly just for general help, but interactive with other people. The Gentoo Wiki has been great (along with the gentoo.org HOWTO's) for setup instructions and information... as long as nothing goes wrong. For example, I had modified my USE flags and wanted to rebuild all affected packages, so I did "emerge -Nu world" before I went to bed. When I woke up the next morning and checked, I found that it had spent all night refetching sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1. It just kept downloading the file over and over again. What would you Google for to find a solution to that problem? Eventually I "figured it out" (I re-emerged gcc independently of world and it worked, I have no idea why). But for some problems, it's just too hard to come up with search keywords that are specific enough to find the answer.

The question I have here that comes to mind specifically is this one, although I just posted it yesterday so it's not really "unanswered" yet. But mostly just for general help while I'm still learning the ins and outs of Gentoo; if I can't find the answer on Google or the wiki or gentoo.org or on my own, and for whatever reason I can't find the answer here either, is there another good forum with knowledgeable Gentoo people any where?

Don't get me wrong, btw, this forum is great. I've found a lot of stuff here, and the active members here seem to really know their stuff. It's just nice to have other sources sometimes. :)
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you try joining #gentoo on irc.freenode.net if you want instant support/help. :D
peenie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool, thanks! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: