View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colonblow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: AA with KDE3 on fresh install Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been browsing these forums and looking at tutorials for a while... and have been able to get gentoo installed with X and KDE up and running. I am trying to enable anti-aliasing in KDE (i'm going for the look in the first screenshot on the Screenshots page). I'm not having much luck so far. I have read through the other threads on the topic, and tried the tips written there, with no success.

Could someone say what I would need to do step-by-step in order to get antialiasing working on a fresh install of gentoo+X+kde3?

Thanks in advance!
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AA with KDE3 on fresh install Reply with quote

colonblow wrote:

Could someone say what I would need to do step-by-step in order to get antialiasing working on a fresh install of gentoo+X+kde3?

Thanks in advance!

An excellent article on anti-aliased fonts in X has just been posted here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=4825
colonblow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i was just searching and found that. i will try following that tutorial and post my results.

colonblow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, its not working, i still get no pretty fonts :(

i have followed everything as it is listed in the post that leej linked to.

the one thing i noticed is that everywhere AA with KDE is discussed, it's mentioned that you need to compile qt with the -xft option... is this done by default in gentoo or should i rebuild qt?

thanks in advance.
dek
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you are using xfree4.2.0-r12. The xft-quality-patch has been removed. Have a look at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3624
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Weird, but maybe some of this will help Reply with quote

Quote:
the one thing i noticed is that everywhere AA with KDE is discussed, it's mentioned that you need to compile qt with the -xft option... is this done by default in gentoo or should i rebuild qt?

Yes it is, at least it certainly is in the latest version (which I'm running): qt-3.0.4.20020606-r1. You can easily determine that by checking the ebuild file for it, search for -xft and you'll see it is passed onto the configure directive. Can't for the life of me work out why it should be compiled like that, it implies that it should not take advantage of Xft ... wierd - but everything is working for me.

At least try going to a terminal and running qtconfig and look at the Fonts section. There is a tickbox to tell it to use Xft, and to anti-alias fonts by default. On my system they are both ticked. I suppose the anti-aliased tickbox should be enabled in KDE's fonts control panel so that KDE will use that feature of Qt also. Really, as my guide suggested I didn't really have to do anything much! I'd be interested to know more about what versions of things you are running and which fonts you are trying that don't look as good as they obviously should. My Xftconfig suggestions explictly prevent anti-aliasing on fonts at regular sizes, because it looks rubbish and is a bad idea (unless you want all of your text to look like a low-grade JPEG)! So you'll only see anti-aliasing at very small or larger sizes anyway. If you really want to know that anti-aliasing is definitely working I would suggest not using the range limits at first.

Quote:
I guess you are using xfree4.2.0-r12

I'm running r11 and the patch was removed from that build also. Fonts still look nice. David Chester's patch looks like possibly the best thing to happen to font rendering on Unixen for a very long time but I think he's giving it a major overhaul (well he's moving it to the Freetype engine itself, rather than limited to Xft lib) and I wouldn't expect Gentoo to re-introduce it until then. It obviously isn't strictly necessary to get acceptable results.

The only other thing I would say is that I emerged qt completely separately, that is, I wasn't sucked in as a depedency for something else I emerged (not that it should really make a difference). I emerged qt manually, then artsd, then kdelibs, then kdebase. Why? Because I didn't want a monstrously bloated KDE installation and I wanted to carefully observe the progress of each build. From there I could choose the parts of KDE I wanted. I'm running: xfree-4.2.0-r11, qt-3.0.4.200200606-r1 and the new 3.0.1 (20020604) KDE builds.

Also, someone made a post (can't remember which one) complaining that after they turned off anti-aliasing in the KDE control panel they could never make it go back on again. If you think you might have been affected by this problem, have a search throught the Desktop forum area and see if you can find it.

EDIT -- The render extension is running in your XFree86 isn't it?
Code:
xdpyinfo | grep RENDER
If you don't see anything then Xft is not going to work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: