View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C.M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: XFree 4.3.0-r2 killed Gnome Reply with quote

Since I updated to XFree 4.3.0-r2 my gnome-session no longer works. I did unmerge xft first, then emerged xfree, but all I get when I start a gnome-session is some strange error messages. (Just having exec xterm in my .xinitrc atm) This is what I get:

Code:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/bomben:/tmp/.ICE-unix/5029
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Option given which is no longer supported in this version of gnome-terminal; you might want to create a profile with the desired setting, and use the new --window-with-profile option
WARNING: imwheel process could not be verified, it may not be running anymore, that's OK!
: No such file or directory
INFO: imwheel started (pid=5071)
Window manager warning: Broken client! Window 0x40000e (cm@bomben:) changed client leader window or SM client ID

When the gnome-session is running, I just get my xmms up since I had that saved. No panel or terminal at all. I assume it has something to do with fonts, but I don't know how to fix it. Please, does anyone know how to get gnome working without reinstalling my whole comp. I've tried all the tips that have been posted here. :(
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No specific idea but if your gnome-session start but with problem, just erase all gnome2 settings to try... if you want to keep them for later, just rename folder (~/.gnome2).

Or simpler, I would say create a new user - using superadduser - and see if you can log with new user.
billk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: still no gnome Reply with quote

Unfortuantely, most things gnome including gdm will not start. Many complain about no fonts, fontconfig or xft, so I guess thats the core of the problem, but I have no idea how to fix yet.

BillK
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried once also to remove all these /tmp/.ICE* stuff to fix some login issue - I know it's not the same case but who knows...

But if you have all these messages complaining about font problem, may be you should try fix font server (xfs and fontconfig). I read there (I know Redhat but still) http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-x-fonts.html that some config have changed.. depending from which xfree version you did the upgrade from, may be you missed some updated configuration. Check the font thread(s) in forum.
billk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Latest XFree doesnt use the standalone xfs Reply with quote

Your reference is out of date. XFree 86 4.3 requires xft to be unmerged as it is incompatible with the new xfree - the functions are now apparently internal. Yes I agree the font system needs fixing, but how does the new xfree font handling interact with gnome (via pango, a new xfree module I dont know about or what)? Its not just my system but it appears there have been a number of cases, but I have not been able to find a solution that works for me yet.

BillK
tomaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have xft and the latest xfree install, should I be seeing problems?

Tom
Papapishu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged Xfree 4.3 during the night, and when I tried to start it it gave me a no screens message.
I had a 1024x768 screen running before, and I can only get Xfree4.3 running if I change it to 800x600...
I use kde 3.1.1 and when I startx, it starts, but gives me an error message (in graphical mode) that says it can't find or run kdeinit...
I would think it'd be very weird if xfree 4.3 didn't find something 4.2 could, and that it's unable to go over 800x600 on my computer, which 4.2 could... :(
C.M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried with moving my .gnome2/ dir and start, but that didn't help much. I got less error messages, but still no panel or anything. the only error message I get now is:
Code:

bash-2.05b$ gnome-session
SESSION_MANAGER=local/bomben:/tmp/.ICE-unix/10265
Window manager warning: Broken client! Window 0x60000e (cm@bomben:) changed client leader window or SM client ID

I've tried with re-emergeing pango and fontconfig, but no change. The metacity windowmanager is working, but gives errors too:
Code:

Window manager warning: Broken client! Window 0x100000e (xterm) changed client leader window or SM client ID

The gnome-terminal doesn't work at all.
Should I try with re-ermerging gnome?
C.M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recompiled XFree, and gnome, so now it works. :) No idea what messed up, but it was probably my fault. :oops:
billk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerged fontconfig-2.2.0 and it works. System seems to want 2.1-r1 which doesnt work for me. see gentoo bugzilla 20044
Azzuron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be attempting this upgrade tonight maybe... Is it a bad idea to emerge xfree while your currently running an xsession. I run gnome. not that that should matter really. It would be nice if i could upgrade x while in x so that i can still use my system while it is working. or perhapse i should ALT + F2, login and start compiling, then use my session but exit before the compile finishes? I dunno!? Thnx for advice.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: