Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you will have to run these 32 bit binaries :

firefox-bin (no 64bit flash & some other plugins like adobe pdf)
mplayer-bin & mplayerplug-in bin (no 64bit win32 codecs)

both these run fine in 32 bit compatible mode on amd64

everything else can be 64bit
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

col wrote:

Unless you are a KDE user.
With a simple "modification" to konqueror, you can use 32bit flash in 64 bit konqueror and by using the mplayer in the multimedia overlay you'll have many of the once only 32 bit codecs. :)
brodi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
col wrote:

With a simple "modification" to konqueror, you can use 32bit flash in 64 bit konqueror and by using the mplayer in the multimedia overlay you'll have many of the once only 32 bit codecs. :)

or: you can use Opera ;)

I'v been running Gentoo @amd64 since May and everything works really good.

"Linux - because it works!"
aryaniae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running my amd64 in native 64 and experienced only the usual firefox/flash problems, and my GIMPS (distrubuted mersenne prime-finding project) client runs half again as fast as the one on my friend's comparable 32-bit box.

I was wondering if there's a way to use a cross-compiler to build 32-bit code and run it the same way the *-bin packages do. In effect, I want to wrap my own 32-bit bin packages in a 64-bit environment.

BTW, shouldn't this be in Gentoo on AMD64?
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_lucas_ wrote:

A 64 bit version of opera runs 32 bit plugins? :wink:

Unless I missed something currently Opera only comes in a 32 bit version.
brodi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
_lucas_ wrote:

Yes. Opera + app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-java + netscape-flash :)

"Linux - because it works!"
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Done! Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
Can I build Gentoo 64 from a chroot off the 32 bit system?

Not without some complications. You need to run a 64 bit kernel for that first which needs a toolchain that can build 64 bit exectuables.
UncleOwen wrote:
That's just Intel's name for what Gentoo calls amd64.

Not quite true, the x86_64 name was created by AMD later on (I think after they licensed the stuff to Intel). Intel uses either "Intel 64" (new), "em64t" or "ia32e" (old). And the most stupid name comes (as usual) from MS: x64.
zAfi wrote:
you're all talking about amd64...what about x86_64?? Is there no support for intel 64-bit chips on gentoo??

Sure there is ... though you'd have to say which line of 64 bit CPUs, Intel has at least two (incomaptible) lines: em64t (compatible to x86_64) and ia64 (compatible to hppa AFAIK). However in Gentoo we always use amd64 to refer to x86_64/amd64/em64t/... for historical reasons (and no, that's not gonna change).

Last edited by Genone on Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_lucas_ wrote:
Headrush wrote:
_lucas_ wrote:

Yes. Opera + app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-java + netscape-flash :)

Absolutely. That's what I do. Got some complications with my java (it doesn't embed the applet into the webpage, it's a separate X window) but that's not Opera specific.

The only other thing is video is out of sync with sound on YouTube and things. And occasionally I see 'plug-in content' but I'm not sure what the plug in should be.

But overall, I've been running 64 bit gentoo for a year now, no problems at all. I found it easier to run ~amd64 though, saves a huge package.keywords. No problems yet!
trilexx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there,

ok, I see that already a lot of people are running 64 Bit Systems without further problems, despite some minor glitches. However, I'm still not sure, whether I should risk it or not. The thing is, that I would run the 64 Bit system on my main machine, a notebook (Turion X2). This thing needs to be stable, therefore I'd rather stay with 32 Bit. Anyway, do you think it is really worth it? I mean: what are the real killer arguments for running a 64 Bit system?

cheers,
trilexx
sdfg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any real killer arguments that I see, there isn't really much that can be done faster apart from maybe compiling stuff, which we only really do when we're installing stuff. If you're doing really heavy intensive stuff it could be slightly better I guess.

We're lucky with gentoo in having a fairly mature 64 bit operating system - Windows 64 is a joke in terms of drivers. I'm not sure about the other linux distros.

The way I see it is we're already at the cutting edge using such a versatile and powerful system as Gentoo, increasing use of the 64 bit side of things will help in terms of debugging and things for any small glitches that do exist (although alot of x86 programs I've seen compile fine under amd64) so when 64 bit because the standard (which won't be too long I don't think) then we'll have the most stable and most mature OS out there.

Most of this is opinion, I haven't really done any tests because my laptop is rubbish and falling to bits (it dies repeatedly through overheating if I try and do anything intensive) although I have read a few things where tests have been done.
hoeeg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running 64 bit for 2 years now, and it's quite stable.
Also note that its possible to have both 64 and 32 bit versions of the same program installed.
I have 64 bit Firefox for normal browsing and 32 bit Firefox-bin for the few sites that requires java and flash. The same with mplayer and mplayer-bin for win32 codecs.
Whats the point one could ask. Well nothing, but it can be done.
Mercen4ry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple AMD64 boxes with Gentoo. Of them, the only one I run in AMD64 mode is my main rig. The other I'm entirely too lazy to unmask ~amd64 on and...

For AMD64, I'd say it's very very very close, but not quite there yet. I run my other x86_64 in x86 bit mode because it didn't like the 2006.1 AMD64 minimal CD and I'm entirely too lazy to enable it on what's essentially a spare box.

If you're up to the challenge, go for it -- it's quite stable, albeit requiring some extra workarounds and steps for getting what you want done (chroot builds for unsupported packages like Ogre, etc). The extra math performance is handy if you do a lot of building or dev work, and the 32-bit emulation packages work very nicely.

Oh, and I also have 64 bit and 32 bit Firefox installs, plus a Wine version. I actually have a point for it though -- multiple proxies for routing my data. Paranoid? Why yes! :D
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
col wrote:

With a simple "modification" to konqueror, you can use 32bit flash in 64 bit konqueror
Care to share to all of us AMD64 users (and potential future AMD64 users like myself) exactly what this "modification" is?

As for mplayer32, I thought mplayer-1.0_rc1 had WMV decoding in the source, and hence could play WMV9 files natively without mucking about with x86 binary-only win32codecs? If it does, nobody seems to have mentioned it.
Aefron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac wrote:
Headrush wrote:
col wrote:

With a simple "modification" to konqueror, you can use 32bit flash in 64 bit konqueror
Care to share to all of us AMD64 users (and potential future AMD64 users like myself) exactly what this "modification" is?

As for mplayer32, I thought mplayer-1.0_rc1 had WMV decoding in the source, and hence could play WMV9 files natively without mucking about with x86 binary-only win32codecs? If it does, nobody seems to have mentioned it.

I am not a KDE user, but I guess he made a reference to nsplugins for konqueror which stands for "netscape plugins" if I remember right... it is the equivalent of nspluginwrapper to run 32 bit extensions in mozilla based browsers...

As for mplayer, it's last version isn't enough... you also need a recent (probably still tilde-arched) version of ffmpeg which will make you able to decode wmv9 (at least, it works for me)...
mikb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac wrote:

Headrush wrote:

It's fairly well discussed and documented here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-216959-highlight-32bit+binaries+konqueror.html

Essentially, the trick is that konqueror, unlike firefox, etc. uses an external program to load and run netscape/mozilla plugins. If this wrapper is a 32-bit program, rather than a 64-bit, the 32-bit plugins will execute.

The golden rule in 64-bit universe is you can have a process execute 64-bit code or 32 bit code, but not a mix of both.

I understand the hack works quite well, although I haven't used it my self - I'm being a voluntary guinea pig for gnash.
mikb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razze wrote:
At the moment OpenOffice does not even compileas 64-bit (well there are some heavily experimental versions ready, but they cannot be used for actual work, only for testing). There are rumours that the next version OOo 2.0.4 should be 64-bit compatible, but I don't have any details on when it will be available.

I think you're being overly negative - I've had the patience to emerge the 64-bit OOo build and I found once it built it worked quite well. As a bonus, I get Gentoo eye-candy and KDE dialogs, as well, which doesn't come with the OOo-bin ebuild.

I've been running 64-bit Linux on my laptop (Asus A2000K, Mobile Athlon 64 3700+, 1GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 9700) for two years now, including about a year on Gentoo, and most things work quite well. I do run the machine on the bleeding edge a fair bit, with things like the non-proprietary R300 driver, rather than ATI's proprietary drivers (less upgrade grief, but lower performance, still), and recently moving to the bcm43xx driver instead of ndiswrapper for wireless.

As always it's horses for courses, but I'm very happy with the performance of my machine overall, for the little bit of everything (usually simultaneously :-)) I do with it.
Zmyrgel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need to wait around 4 months to get back to my desktop machine but once I get there I'm planning to go full 64-bit on it. I think atleast KDE has great benefit on the 64-bit as the prelink likes it better than 32-bit system (somebody posted some thread about this a while ago). Hopefully the KDE 4.0 will be out by then and all the glorious eye-candy will be mine :D

Hopefully the 64-bit version will get some maturation too... particulary the flash and mplayer.

... to upgrade... or not to 'grade... there's the problem :)
KAMIKAZE_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wait until gnash will support all of flash versions and goes stable enough. adobe s*cks
TheChuckster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, there's no EXCUSE not to have 64-bit Flash and Java plugins. The vendors just need to change some data types around and recompile...
brot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i changed from i386 to amd64 3 days ago, and i have to say i am very happy with it. There are really nearly no differences for the average joe, only some mess with the flash plugin ( but just look at the wonderfull amd64 howto in the gentoo-wiki, the nspluginwrapper method really works great ).

I would go for the amd64 system... :wink:
el_Salmon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the problems come to non-opensource software. I think OpenOffice.org it's the only OSS that has problems in 64-bits mode (but not in 32-bits).

We have to intend to use OSS instead of privative software: swfdec/gnash instead of Adobe plugin, lastest ffmpeg libraries instead win32codecs, opensource SIP clients instead of skype, etc.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to amd64 for the first time since and I'm quite happy with it.
First I tried to get rid of win32codecs(*) on x86 and I have been using it for some time without problems. Most of the stuff I play does not require Windows codecs.
Second, I never use Adobe's PDF (*) stuff. I simply use kPDF as the default pdf viewer in firefox (without plugins). KPDF is much faster than Adobe Reader and I have never seen any glitches while using it (I have been for about 1.5 years).

Openoffice (*) is something I haven used yet on my amd64 system. I don't use it very often, so lets hope it works well enough.

Java (*) is not a problem anymore on amd64.

Adobe's Flash (*): lets hope it works well enough with nspluginwrapper. Else: multilib 32bit firefox.

Skype (*) will work with some multilib compatibility, I bet.

So, my summary of amd64 on my desktop PC so far is, that it's exactly good enough for me to go for it. I've been waiting with my 64bit system for quite a while reading about all these work-arounds.
Right now, almost all the things that kept me waiting (the *'s) have been solved. I still dislike to have an important this called "Adobe's flash" not 100% working. But it is actually the only thing really ugly on amd64. :)
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
I switched to amd64 for the first time since and I'm quite happy with it.
First I tried to get rid of win32codecs(*) on x86 and I have been using it for some time without problems. Most of the stuff I play does not require Windows codecs.
Second, I never use Adobe's PDF (*) stuff. I simply use kPDF as the default pdf viewer in firefox (without plugins). KPDF is much faster than Adobe Reader and I have never seen any glitches while using it (I have been for about 1.5 years).

Openoffice (*) is something I haven used yet on my amd64 system. I don't use it very often, so lets hope it works well enough.

Java (*) is not a problem anymore on amd64.

Adobe's Flash (*): lets hope it works well enough with nspluginwrapper. Else: multilib 32bit firefox.

Skype (*) will work with some multilib compatibility, I bet.

So, my summary of amd64 on my desktop PC so far is, that it's exactly good enough for me to go for it. I've been waiting with my 64bit system for quite a while reading about all these work-arounds.
Right now, almost all the things that kept me waiting (the *'s) have been solved. I still dislike to have an important this called "Adobe's flash" not 100% working. But it is actually the only thing really ugly on amd64. :)

I also use KPDF and am happy with it.

OpenOffice now builds on amd64 systems and it runs MUCH better than the 32 bit binary. Load times are cut by perhaps 70% and everything just performs better.

Java is still somewhat of an issue in that there is no correctly working 64 bit plugin. I have read nspluginwrapper takes care of the problem but at this time I am still using the blackdown browser plugin. But it does have some issues.

I have been running gnash from CVS for some time. It has been improving at a steady pace and is now almost fully functional. The only significant issue that I am running into with it is that the firefox pluging does garble the sound when playing youtube and other flash based videos. Not long ago it would not play these at all. If it continues to improve at the current pace then it will be a viable solution for most users in a few more months.

I can't comment on Skype since I don't use it.

I have been running an amd64 system for almost two years now and 95% of the things that were problems at first have now been fixed. I no longer use any 32 bit software since most of the those that had problems now have open source alternatives for the proprietary software or have had the 64 build problems corrected. As to stability my system is 100% stable. I was experiencing stability problems at one point but traced these down to a bad processor (it had a bad pin). My conclusion is that amd64 is ready for prime time and will only be getting better.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hvengel wrote:
Java is still somewhat of an issue in that there is no correctly working 64 bit plugin. I have read nspluginwrapper takes care of the problem but at this time I am still using the blackdown browser plugin. But it does have some issues.
Hmn. I didn't mention it to be a problem. I saw that there was a 64 bit version of sun-jdk but I didn't see it doesn't ship with a browser plugin. What's the reason for that? Does anybody know?
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, 64-bit is still too much of a hack to be worthwhile for the desktop user.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: