xgl and kde extremly slow [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansolocg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: xgl and kde extremly slow [solved] Reply with quote

Hi,
i used this guide to setting up xgl and kdm.
However for some reason everything slow down to a crawl as soon as kicker gets loaded. I also dont get any 3d effects.

The strange thing is, that when i start a normal kdesession, change the startxgl.sh-script so that it contains the complete path for the startkde-script and then just run startxgl.sh from a terminal, i get a fully working xgl-desktop.

Does anyone have a guess, where the difference is between running it from a terminal and getting executed from the session-script?

Andreas

Last edited by hansolocg on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
hansolocg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok, i tried around for 6 hours before posting and now i find the solution 5 minutes afterwards :?

It seems compiz-manager is conflicting with my setup somehow. As soon as i start it the screen gets corrupted and everything gets extremely slow. Is this maybe some setting (window-manager maybe) that i have to change? And how would i do this without starting it before?
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you added this question to the end of that guide you probably would have got more responses.
People don't always follow posted links and if it was read in that thread, you know the people reading it are following that thread and interested already.

Anyways, you said that compiz-manager causes the slowdown.
If you remove it from autostarting is XGL working OK when you start the XGL session from KDM?
hansolocg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the session runs fine, but as soon as i start compiz-manager, it seems to load the window decorations from kde, which then seem to break and i get a desktop that is almost unresponsive.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't run compiz-manager then.
You can still access csm using the command line and there should also be kmenu items to launch it.

Are you sure you did the instructions exactly?
I remember a similar problem when kde wasn't started like I outlined.
hansolocg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i deleted .compiz-managerrc and it works. It seems i ran a normal kde session where compiz-manager was autostarted. Because compiz would not run without xgl it crashed and compiz-manager switched to fallback-wm kwin. Then everytime compiz-manager started it killed compiz and switched to kwin, which seems to cause the problem.

This also happens when I make changes in csm and restart the window manager with compiz-manager, i now disabled fallback-wm and i will see how this works out, wouldn't mind if it does not, after all it's still all pretty unstable.

Andreas
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansolocg wrote:
Ok, i deleted .compiz-managerrc and it works. It seems i ran a normal kde session where compiz-manager was autostarted. Because compiz would not run without xgl it crashed and compiz-manager switched to fallback-wm kwin. Then everytime compiz-manager started it killed compiz and switched to kwin, which seems to cause the problem.

This also happens when I make changes in csm and restart the window manager with compiz-manager, i now disabled fallback-wm and i will see how this works out, wouldn't mind if it does not, after all it's still all pretty unstable.

Andreas

If I start a normal X session, when it tries to autoload compiz-manager, it tries to start compiz also and of course fails since no XGL server.
It then fails back to using kwin, which is what you want, but compiz-manager still loads fine and is useable.
hansolocg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, for me it changed the window-manager to kwin and kept it that way leading to the problem. But probably because i played around with it once, and then i could not change back to compiz, because it would not start without xgl and xgl would not run.

I guess it's quite possible that it will work now, as long as i do not touch the window manager settings but right now i'll prefer to play around a bit instead of checking this :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: