Documentation on gentoo.org
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gouranga
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Documentation on gentoo.org Reply with quote

I'm a Gentoo user for a while now.
Although I find some parts of Gentoo are very well documented, I have the feeling I am missing some information.

I have a proposal:

- I don't have an overview when I browse to the documentation on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/

When I'm searching for something particular, it still takes me a few minutes before I can see if the documentation is there or not.
Maybe a search function will improve this time loss.
You can use the documentation listing, but it's my opinion that a search function will be more user friendly.

- I'm missing essential documentation.

Yesterday I came across a "bug" in libwww when it's used in combination with mysql-4.0.27.
I took me 2 hours to determine this was a bug:/ Yes I'm slow :)

I'm totally not familiar with bugzilla, so maybe if there was a document which describes what a bug in portage is, how you can look it up in bugzilla,... I would have lost less time.

Maybe there should be a "Request Documentation"-form on the website, where users can ask for a how to/manual on a specific subject.

This way the needs for documentation will be clear and forum users/other volunteers can write a manual/how to.
Maybe forum users/other volunteers can prepare this documentation on a forum/wiki.
When it gets approved, it can be listed in the documentation on gentoo.org

I'm talking here about Gentoo system documentation. I think we should keep this documentation and http://gentoo-wiki.com/ separate. Gentoo.org should list the documentation really needed to get your system up and running and maintaining it.

I like the opinion of other gentoo user on this topic.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't looked very hard on that page:

"If you want a quick overview of all available documentation without the additional information, please use our Documentation Listing page." That is the overview. You should have looked through it, as you would have seen the Bugzilla Reporting Guide.

Also, a "Request Documentation form" really won't do much good -- we generally have to rely on contributed documentation. There simply isn't enough manpower, time, or godlike Gentoo knowledge to answer every request with a document. This is where the community and other developers from non-documentation projects can help out. Of course, a great many documents are written by the GDP developers, but we can't write every document ourselves.

Specific howtos often take shape on the forums; see the Documentation, Tips, and Tricks forum. Some of the howtos there even make it into gentoo.org/doc/en/.

gentoo-wiki.org has nothing to do with gentoo.org. That wiki is not run by Gentoo, nor is it monitored for accurate information. Gentoo developers are in no way responsible for the information it contains. www.gentoo.org is the only place for official Gentoo documentation.
gouranga
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I should have looked harder to the bug-guide.
Maybe that was a bad example.

Quote:
"If you want a quick overview of all available documentation without the additional information, please use our Documentation Listing page." That is the overview. You should have looked through it, as you would have seen the Bugzilla Reporting Guide.

As mentioned before, I use the Documentation Listing page but in my opinion a search form on the same page will be more user friendly to locate quickly what you are looking for.

I know you guys are short staffed and you are doing a great job.

With this idea I want to help the developers.
Maybe I didn't express myself good enough.
My idea is to centralize all "good" Gentoo documentation.

As you mentioned there are a lot specific howto's on the forum.
These howto's are good and accurate.
I think Gentoo will be more attractive to new and existing users if you can find all these howto's in the Documentation Listing page.

I want a system where you can post an howto for review. When it's reviewed, it can be centralized with the other documentation. With this system in place, non-developpers will find it easier to contribute.

If there is a list with topics that need to be documented, users that know this topic can contribute trough this system to help other users.

Yes, this is happening on the forum, but it would be nicer if all documentation was on one place.

I know gentoo-wiki.org has nothing to do with gentoo.org.
What I wanted to say is I don't want to recreate the gentoo-wiki on gentoo.org.

I hope I made myself clear in this post.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the Kbase Project, and also start searching for the gentoo-kbase@gentoo.org mailing list archives on http://gmane.org. Already in progress.

There won't be a specific documentation search function at any time in the near future. However, once the redesign of gentoo.org is finished, there will be a general search function implemented for all gentoo.org pages, so that should help.

There's already a howto review system in place . . . it's called Bugzilla. If you have a guide you'd like to contribute, please first read our documentation guidelines and tips, then you can submit it to us for review.

Note that at this time it's probably not a good idea to just cut and paste stuff from Documentation, Tips, & Tricks -- those topics would be best placed in kbase.
gouranga
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
I shall read it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: