Linux / XP shared partitions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dTr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Linux / XP shared partitions Reply with quote

I have a couple of partitions I want to share between linux and windoze. Just looking for any opinions on which fs to use. I need write access from both.
As I see it I have 3 choices -
FAT32
ext2 (using ext2IFS driver in XP)
NTFS
Which would be best for general use?
Bobnoxous
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be that you could not write to NTFS partitions from linux, but that may no longer be true.

I've used FAT32 on my windows partition, and can read it from linux, but fat32 doesn't support all the file settings that linux filesystems do, so there are some annoyances.

Never tried ext2 from windows. Interesting.
ese002
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Linux / XP shared partitions Reply with quote

dTr wrote:
I have a couple of partitions I want to share between linux and windoze. Just looking for any opinions on which fs to use. I need write access from both.
As I see it I have 3 choices -
FAT32
ext2 (using ext2IFS driver in XP)
NTFS
Which would be best for general use?

I don't think there is anything good for general use. Last I checked ( I admit. It has been a while), the only FS that was really stable on both sides was FAT32. Unfortunately FAT32 is a crummy execuse for a file system. Lousy data security. No ownership flags.

If you switching between XP and Linux a lot, I suggest using VMware and write to shared file systems via NFS or SMB over the virtual network.
killomatic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Linux / XP shared partitions Reply with quote

[quote="ese002"]
dTr wrote:

I don't think there is anything good for general use. Last I checked ( I admit. It has been a while), the only FS that was really stable on both sides was FAT32. Unfortunately FAT32 is a crummy execuse for a file system. Lousy data security. No ownership flags.

If he's talking about doing this on a home PC, those issues with FAT32 are irrelevant, and it's the best choice he has. Using VMWare to share via samba would be unnessary complexity if that's the case.
ese002
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Linux / XP shared partitions Reply with quote

[quote="killomatic"]
ese002 wrote:
dTr wrote:

If he's talking about doing this on a home PC, those issues with FAT32 are irrelevant, and it's the best choice he has. Using VMWare to share via samba would be unnessary complexity if that's the case.

Well, I guess if you don't care about your data... You can also save some time and effort by dispensing with backups.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got into Linux I to for some reason had the urge to write to the other (Lin->Win & Win->Lin) which wasn't possible at the time
So a FAT32 partition always existed on my system

When I converted to Gentoo I again looked at the situation, and the conclusion I came to was... I do not need to write to the other.
Reading of Linux from windows can be done, and reading of windows from linux can be done. 90% of the time that is all that is needed

Only live documents that you need to update are the problem, but hey I have a smaba server now
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the partitions are small, and you use them mostly just to transfer files between the two OS's every now and then, I'd go for FAT32 for simplicity's sake.

If on the other hand, you're going to store a lot of data there (like music collection), or are using it a lot, it would probably be best to go with EXT2 and the windows driver for that.

I have a small WinXP partition (only use it for MSoffice and some Korean websites), so I just installed it on a FAT32 filesystem. I use the Windows so rarely that fragmentation is not something I really worry about.

I have a folder on the Windows desktop that I've softlinked a folder on my linux desktop with, so moving files is as easy as drag-n-drop'ing them on both desktops.
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever heard of ntfs-3g?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: