Toshiba Qosmio F10
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belrpr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Toshiba Qosmio F10 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Qosmio F10 laptop and I want to install linux on this laptop. Now my question is uite simple. Anyone already done this?
Want to share the kernelconfig. I haven't got the time to do a lot of testing because it is a laptop from work and it should be ready in 14 hours and I got 2 extra computers to help the compiling using distcc.
thorpe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive a toshiba satillite, didn't really do too much special. Just enable acpi and the toshiba features. Later you might want to emerge fnfxd to get all these axtra buttons going.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a different approach if you need the laptop to be ready in 14 hours:

Install a minimal version of a different linux distribution first (maybe Kubuntu, or something else that tends to "just work"), and install that into a small, spare partition, maybe 5-10 gigs or so. once that is up, use the now installed system to install gentoo using the good, old, shell-based installation method. that way you'll have a laptop with office programs running in under 2 hours and you can take your time to install gentoo, and you can install gentoo in the background, while working.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
thorpe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother? I got Gentoo working on this laptop within about 2-3 hours. Then installed X and a few other essentials overnight.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thorpe wrote:
Why bother? I got Gentoo working on this laptop within about 2-3 hours. Then installed X and a few other essentials overnight.

because i assumed that since it was a laptop from work that it would be absolutely necessary to have the thing up. :roll: since some people are apparently struggling for a few days to get gentoo running, and the OP doesn't have days to waste and fool around, it would seem a good idea to have a system that is definitely working and to then install gentoo from that in order to have a minimal downtime.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: