I still love Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlward4th
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: I still love Gentoo! Reply with quote

It seems like lately there have been quite a few instances of people publicly criticizing Gentoo. I just wanted to say that I still love Gentoo! I've been using it on my desktop and a number of servers for a few years. I've tried many of the others and Gentoo is the only Linux Distro that makes me happy. Sometimes frustrated, but always happy! Just off the top of my head, here are some things I love:

• Portage is awesome! I love that everything on my system is always the most recent version. I don't mind having to compile everything.
  • The way /etc is managed is awesome! I love that all my config files are in 1 place, easy to manage, and keep up to date!
  • Overlays are awesome! I love that I have to freedom to be adventurous with public overlays and my own private overlay.
  • The community is awesome! I love how hopeful the forums and wiki are!

For me, Gentoo is simply the best! Thanks everyone who contributes to this great distro!
kevman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of all this "OMG BYE GENTOO" stuff is stupid. Noone cares. Maybe if any of these people have anything constructive to say without flaming, ok, but just saying "I'm switching distros, Gentoo sucks." is pointless.

So is this, really. I love Gentoo, too, mainly becuase things actually work. Kubuntu loved to break things on me. If apt wasn't screwing up, it was refusing to compile something from source. And forget about updating between versions.

But that is not the point of this forum, I would think.Either suggest a way to make it better (either just for one person, or Gentoo in general) or go away.

It seems, though, that these "goodbye" threads are an excellent way to troll. Perhaps I just fell victim.
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevman wrote:

It seems, though, that these "goodbye" threads are an excellent way to troll

And so are these "Love" threads aswell :P :wink:

I agree in all your points jlward4th, this is what makes Gentoo great 8)
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
Arniepoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with this.

I have been using gentoo on my desktop for about 2 years now and just love it. What do I love about it?

Well, I'm sitting at my desktop late at night and suddenly have an overwhelming urge to do <blah>. A quick search of the forums tells me that in order to do <blah> I need to emerge <blahblah>. So, emerge <blahblah> and 5 minutes later I'm up doing <blah> (unless of course <blahblah> happened to be OpenOffice in which case it's more like 24 hours :D, but you get the idea).

Now, name another distro (OS) that you can do this on so easily?

Cheers,

Arnie
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dual boot PCLinuxOS and Gentoo now (as of today actually) on my laptop and run soley Gentoo on my Desktop "gaming" (yeah right... gaming...) machine. PCLinuxOS is on my laptop because I didn't have all year to wait for it to compile things (I used PCLinuxOS to install Gentoo :wink: ).

Gentoo has been my best experience with an OS, even with its problems and frustrations, and PCLinuxOS is a close second (binary distro, radically simple, kicks ubuntu's arse, etc).
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
Not a support request, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
heikole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I still love Gentoo! Reply with quote

jlward4th wrote:

For me, Gentoo is simply the best! Thanks everyone who contributes to this great distro!

Me, too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: