Pre-installation help for a newbie
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpfuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Pre-installation help for a newbie Reply with quote

I became aware of Gentoo Linux recently but despite my best efforts I cannot get a clearcut idea regarding what to install and how to go about it. Thus I decided to refer matters to this forum.

To begin with, here is some basic info about my system: Presario 1500 laptop. C drive is partitioned into three primary and one logical partitions using Partition Magic. Two of the primary partitions are used for two different WinXP installations and the third contains a boot manager (Boot Magic). The laptop sits behind a router used to allow four pc's to share the same internet connection (no file or printer sharing). All pc's get a fixed ip address from the router and have their own firewall.

My objective is to start with a minimal Linux installation, connect it to the internet, secure it with a firewall, and then venture into adding more applications.

Given that I am an absolute newbie in matters Linux, what is my best course of action? Would anyone make a suggestion in easy to follow steps?
Dammital
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-installation help for a newbie Reply with quote

First of all, the Gentoo Handbook is your friend, and the Gentoo Wiki has lots of good information.
kpfuser wrote:
C drive is partitioned into three primary and one logical partitions using Partition Magic. Two of the primary partitions are used for two different WinXP installations and the third contains a boot manager (Boot Magic).

Do you have at least 2GB available on that spare partition? The minimum for Gentoo is 1.5 GB + a 256MB minimum swapfile.
Quote:
Given that I am an absolute newbie in matters Linux, what is my best course of action?

You might want to back off a bit and choose one of the cup-holder distributions that can get you up in a few minutes. There are some excellent live CDs out there that recognize your network automatically and can give you a taste of Linux without you having to fool with your hard drive at all. No offense intended, but Gentoo as a first-timer's distribution is a little ambitious.

Ubuntu seems to be well thought of, and it has an easy install procedure.

Think about running a Linux of your choice in a VMware instance under one of your XP systems. Performance will not be particularly good, but you won't have to repartition anything. The VMWare Player and pre-built virtual machines for a variety of Linux (and non-Linux) systems are available at www.vmware.com

Still enamored of Gentoo? Go to the handbook and dive in! The step-by-step instructions are fairly clear, and if you get into trouble you can always ask specific questions here.
markkuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-installation help for a newbie Reply with quote

kpfuser wrote:
My objective is to start with a minimal Linux installation, connect it to the internet, secure it with a firewall, and then venture into adding more applications.

"Minimal Linux installation" means command-line only, are you familiar with using Unix-style operating systems from a text console? If not, forget "minimal" and get a full-featured desktop Linux like Ubuntu or Fedora.
glurps
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-installation help for a newbie Reply with quote

Dammital wrote:
You might want to back off a bit and choose one of the cup-holder distributions that can get you up in a few minutes.

i do not agree. when i switched from OS X to linux i used suse for a week or so and it drove me crazy. and also some time ago i installed ubuntu on my brothers machine.

now for some unknown reason everything is broken. of course i could start reading the ubuntu documentation but i dont think its worth it. instead i will install a gentoo and administer it over ssh. this will require that i read into things that i dont use like gnome but my brother most likely expects. (after lots of problems with rhythumbox he acctually told me it would be okay for him to use a cli mp3 player :P )

well this was a bit of topic but what i wanted to say was this: you probalby have some knowledge how to use windows by now - but how much of it can still be used when switching to a different os? its the same with linux distros that hide a lot behind gui.
Dammital
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-installation help for a newbie Reply with quote

glurps wrote:
... probalby have some knowledge how to use windows by now - but how much of it can still be used when switching to a different os? its the same with linux distros that hide a lot behind gui.

Those Linux distributions don't "hide" anything behind a GUI -- they can't. The underlying mechanisms are available to anybody in an xterm; you're welcome to directly edit etc/fstab, etc/group, grub.conf and xorg.conf, execute lsmod and modprobe, compile a kernel, do everything the pretty GUIs do and more.

But the pretty GUIs give a total newcomer a head start, and a good idea of Linux's capabilities. Novices can have a usable desktop today while dabbling in the low-level stuff, and can inspect the delivered desktop system to see how the distributors did it.

The OP has no experience with Linux. I happen to think that starting off with a full-featured prebuilt system will offer an opportunity to learn at a comfortable rate. Gentoo does require a lot of activation energy to become useful, and could be frustrating to someone who has no prior experience with Linux at all.
glurps
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-installation help for a newbie Reply with quote

Dammital wrote:
Those Linux distributions don't "hide" anything behind a GUI -- they can't. The underlying mechanisms are available to anybody in an xterm; you're welcome to directly edit etc/fstab, etc/group, grub.conf and xorg.conf, execute lsmod and modprobe, compile a kernel, do everything the pretty GUIs do and more.

well i am sure your right. it just didnt seam right to me (even as a total newbie) that i first tried to solve a problem by "randomly" trying settings in a gui (and when everything was even more broke resort to ->) rather than to (1) read the man page (2) google (3) edit some file. when i googled with ubuntu in the search i mostly got results telling me what to do in the gui, and when it didnt work i had to search distro unspecifically. of course that works too but when you find a distro specific solution as you do most of the times for gentoo, things are easier.

also i never was quite sure if the gui app would later overwritte my settings again. (well that doesnt have anything to do with the interface i know, i just figured that gui apps would be more likely to do such a thing). happens even in gentoo, but most of the times there is a warning included in case a file shouldnt be edited.

hm.... yes above sounds stupid i guess. still i would advise everyone to give gentoo a shot and if they cant get it to work after reading the handbook twice and ask for help then try ubuntu or such.

Dammital wrote:
The OP has no experience with Linux. I happen to think that starting off with a full-featured prebuilt system will offer an opportunity to learn at a comfortable rate. Gentoo does require a lot of activation energy to become useful, and could be frustrating to someone who has no prior experience with Linux at all.

when i started i couldnt get my network card working... was quite frustrating indead :?

(then again its easier to get mp3 working on gentoo than it is on ubuntu :wink: )

have fun what ever distro you use!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: