Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Cannot switch to another VT using xorg, but can using xgl?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Cannot switch to another VT using xorg, but can using xgl? Reply with quote

Exactly as stated, this is the problem I'm having on a system I moved my exact configuration to.

Everything is the same software-wise on the system. The hardware is similar, but not the same. The keyboard is one difference. Mine is a microsoft keyboard, so I changed the keyboard to pc105 but that didn't help any at all, problem still here. Again, same configuration so there is no NOVTSwitch or any such options enabled.

The only relavent thing towards this I can glean from logs, etc. is

Code:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard1" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type: Other)
(WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

I've searched for this error and I've tried adding the /usr/X11R6/lib to my ld.so.conf and running ldconfig, but that didn't work.

So far nothing seems to be getting this keyboard working, yet as I said it works fine in xgl, which makes absolutely 0 sense to me why it would work there and not in normal X.

I'd appreciate any help with this problem. I'm at a loss at this point. (BTW, CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE does work, just not CTRL-ALT-F*)

EDIT:

Code:

setxkbmap -print | xkbcomp - :1.0

This line works, though I would hate to add it to every script for this one computer, there has to be a better way to do it, I can't claim to actually understand what the line does though.

Ok.. this is strange, X :1 does not work, however xinit -- :1 does work.. but I have no idea at all what the huge difference is between them and both work on the other/original system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: