View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lpetersen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: xrandr with ati-drivers-8.28.8 breaks kde apps Reply with quote

Hi, everybody,

I installed the new proprietary (fglrx) ati-drivers (8.28.8) and also tried the even newer ones (8.29.6), but both produce an annoying error that did not appear with versions 8.27.10 and older:

When I switch the screen resolution with xrandr (or krandrtray, for that matter), I can no longer start most kde apps. Starting, e.g., konsole from the "Run ..." dialog results in a message box saying "kdeinit cannot launch konsole" (or sth like that, I translated it from German). Starting (another) konsole from an already open konsole (Yes, once it's started, it keeps running ok even after the resolution change) results in a "Floating-point exception" instantly. Some non-kde apps work (xterm, for example), others don't (like firefox).

I'm happy I even came this far, because I used to have krandrtray switch my screen resolution right at KDE startup (because I use a laptop sometimes with and sometimes without an external monitor), which caused startkde to shutdown immediately -- not even ksplash would start.

I am using

• gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r8
  • xorg-x11-7.1
  • xorg-server-1.1.1-r1
  • kdelibs-3.5.4-r2
  • xrandr-1.0.2
  • libXrandr-1.1.1
  • randrproto-1.1.2

One more detail, fwiw: When I use a "Cloned" desktop, reverting back to the original resolution doesn't help. KDE apps still can't be started any more. When using a "BigDesktop" across two monitors, switching back to the original resolution (2800x1050 in horizontal mode) restores the desired behavior: KDE apps start again.

Can anybody else reproduce this? Or tell me that it works for them? Or am I the only one using xrandr?? 8O

Is there a workaround? Anything I can do? Other than revert to ati-drivers-8.27.10? :(

Any help is appreciated!
rettw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I occaisonally use krandrtray to change resolution and it breaks kde for me as well.

Here is my system details:

Dell D810 Laptop:

gentoo-sources-2.6.18-r2
xorg-x11-7.1
xorg-server-1.1.1-r1
kdelibs-3.5.5-r5
xrandr-1.0.2
libXrandr-1.1.1
randrproto-1.1.2
ati-drivers-8.30.3-r1

I only have a single monitor configuration I haven't found anyway to fix this except restarting kde/kdm.

If you find anything out, please let me know.

Rett
lpetersen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe somebody still found this thread ... and has the same problem. Thanks for responding and welcome to the club. :?

I haven't found a solution nor any helpful info, and you are in fact the first person who seems to have the same issue.

Meanwhile, I ditched the ati drivers and went for the open source radeon r300 ones. Not quite competitive if you want to play video-intensive games or use Google Earth a lot, but still quite usable and moving in the right direction.

Yet, if you -- or anybody else -- has any info, workarounds, etc., I'd be glad to hear them ...

Cheers,
Lars
owb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar poblem here.
If I set the option for big desktop and start without TV connected KDE still sees a big Desktop and firefox does not start anymore....
If I connect my TV and restart everything works fine.
This is very annoying because before this configuration worked fine and I got a big desktop if two devices were connected and a small desktop if only one was connected....
IronEagle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpetersen wrote:

Yet, if you -- or anybody else -- has any info, workarounds, etc., I'd be glad to hear them ...

Well, the problem is still existing with the latest ati drivers in portage. It does not occur with the open source radeon drivers, but not having 3D support is not an option here.

(running on a T43 Thinkpad with ATI x300 card and a up to date gentoo system)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: