Webcams are great!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Webcams are great! Reply with quote

I bought a logitech quickcam chat(~$35), and finally got it to work after 4 days. using spca5xx. and the results sucked.

so i went and bought a logitech quickcam communicate STX(~$60), and it worked 4 seconds out of the box, with the quickcam module (qc-usb). it probably helped that i understood how to get a webcam working.

anyway, the results are much much better!! it autofocuses and auto adjusts brightness.

the webcam server i've chosen is camsource. it's nice. but i don't know if i'm getting the best picture or the best service.

i want a "streaming" type of image that has a very slow fps, and possibly jpeg compression.

the slowest i can get with camsource is 1fps, .3 and 1/3 do not work, its still runs at 1fps.

btw, the reason why i need slow fps, is because i have a home broadband connection, about 40kbps upstream, and, i'm video-casting baby tortoises, which usually do not move that fast anyway. :)

example: http://www.remixserver1.com:9192/stream_sm.jpg
http://www.remixserver1.com:9192/bigsuck.jpg

this is what i got now, that brightspot hurts, but they need it for sun bathing.

so does anyone know of a GREAT webcam server?
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be video?

Maybe that's too oldskool, but I'd use "streamer" from xawtv to capture pictures, maybe stuff them through some filters from imagemagick and copy them to the web location every n seconds. The same could be done with mplayer and some of its built-in filters.
Should be a four line bash script. :)

See this for two examples.

Some scripting on the web page could autoreload the page and you have your 1fps webcam page.
remix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm no, this isn't video, it is multipart-jpeg (whatever that is) from camsource. so it's a non-caching jpeg.
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Webcams are great! Reply with quote

remix wrote:
I bought a logitech quickcam chat(~$35), and finally got it to work after 4 days. using spca5xx. and the results sucked.

so i went and bought a logitech quickcam communicate STX(~$60), and it worked 4 seconds out of the box, with the quickcam module (qc-usb). it probably helped that i understood how to get a webcam working.

anyway, the results are much much better!! it autofocuses and auto adjusts brightness.

the webcam server i've chosen is camsource. it's nice. but i don't know if i'm getting the best picture or the best service.

i want a "streaming" type of image that has a very slow fps, and possibly jpeg compression.

the slowest i can get with camsource is 1fps, .3 and 1/3 do not work, its still runs at 1fps.

btw, the reason why i need slow fps, is because i have a home broadband connection, about 40kbps upstream, and, i'm video-casting baby tortoises, which usually do not move that fast anyway. :)

example: http://www.remixserver1.com:9192/stream_sm.jpg
http://www.remixserver1.com:9192/bigsuck.jpg

this is what i got now, that brightspot hurts, but they need it for sun bathing.

so does anyone know of a GREAT webcam server?

Can you pls post the prod ID for your Communicate STX?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: