mount problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sderaadt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: mount problems Reply with quote

Hi

I've just installed Gentoo using the (excellent) installation instructions. I got to the bottom, and rebooted.

It booted fine, but my network card (8139too) wasn't picked up (although it worked fine during the install). Running 'lsmod' turns up empty, and when I ran 'modprobe 8139too', it says 'modprobe: Can't locate module 8139too'! Indeed, when I did 'ls /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/*', only 'dummy.o' is returned. It appears the actual driver wasn't copied during the installation - or was deleted after installation.

So, I thought I would just copy the driver from another machine with Linux. I put it onto a floppy, but was unable to mount the floppy in Gentoo. Running 'mount -t dos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy' returned the error message 'mount: fs type dos not supported by kernel'. The same if I tried msdos, vfat or auto as the fs types. The floppy worked fine during the install, but not after the reboot.

So, after trawling this forum and finding that recompiling the kernel with this option was the solution, I ran 'cd /usr/src/linux' then 'make menuconfig'. In the filesystem category, I selected the dos, msdos and vfat options, then ran 'make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install'.

But after rebooting, I still got the same error when trying to mount the floppy. I tried several times. I tried with the menuconfig dos, msdos and vfat options both compiled into the kernel ('*') and as modules ('M'), but that didn't seem to help.

Is it possible that since these modules weren't selected during the install, the source code wasn't copied across (or was deleted during cleanup)?

I'm hoping that once the 8139too driver is in place it will all just work, since it is looking for it at boot-time (and failing to find it).

Thanks for your help

Sebastian
keenan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure about the floppy, I thought it was a seperate module...anyways I haven't used mine in years. Check over your config settings again..

As for the RTL8139, the module is in
Code:

Network Device Support -> Ethernet (10 or 100mbit) -> EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers -> RealTek RTL-8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support

Enable this module, make modules modules_install, and modprobe 8139too, and you should be up and running, provided the other requisite kernel options are enabled.
sderaadt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks keenan!

That fixed it :D

Now I just have to get the floppy working...
sderaadt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is wondering, I got vfat support for the floppy drive and windows partitions. If I just recompiled the kernel, it had no effect. I had to wipe my gentoo partitions clean and start fresh. I ensured the dos, msdos and vfat options were selected in menuconfig, and it worked.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to wipe the drives and start over! If you have problems with kernel compiles, doing a make mrproper will clean out & reset the kernel source, failing that try re-emerging the kernel source.

Brian
sderaadt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that, but both times make mrproper failed - it couldn't find the sources or something.

Thanks for the susggestion tho!

I am about to begin my third reinstall, 'cos I forgot devfs support the second time. :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: