Boot delay after toolchain & world rebuild [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suredeath
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Boot delay after toolchain & world rebuild [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Greatly helped by the emwrap.sh script I managed a full update of my system, both toolchain and world.

I ran:
Code:
emwrap.sh -set
emwrap.sh -set (not sure if this was necessary)
emwrap.sh -we

Every package built w/o problems, according to emwrap.sh output.
Did all the etc-updates *carefully*, no significant changes in my configs.
Then I rebooted and after the line
Quote:
grub stage 1.5 loading
the pc seems to be in limbo for about 90 secs, after that grub continues to load and all's well again.
Before grub never paused visibly, booting went very smoothly & fast.

Any ideas what could cause this delay or where to look? Unfortunately my /var/log/messages hasn't got al boot details as far as I can tell. I use a standard syslog-ng configuration, haven't changed the config.

Details about my system can be found here
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by suredeath on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was GRUB one of the packages that was updated ?

If so, you also need to reinstall GRUB in the MBR (manually).
suredeath
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Help, made a big booboo ? Reply with quote

O my, I am st00pid.
I reran grub-install /dev/hda BEFORE I mounted /boot. Dumb move.
I realized it before I booted again, removed the newly created stuff from the wrong /boot dir.
I retried that step with /boot mounted again, and the problems began.
It wouldn't install, complaining about stage 1 missing (it wasn't) etc.

I decided to boot from my Install CD, mounted my /, /boot, proc, dev, copied /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab, chrooted to my own (/mnt/gentoo) system and ran grub-install /dev/hda. It did not complain anylonger.

I booted: a barely legible and garbled screen, grub showing the boot options, and after selecting always the same Error 15 - File not found.
Nothing else.

I tried everything suggested in the extensive grub problems thread, and I still got all the same results. Tried manually doing it using grub instead of grub-install, no complaints, no improvement either.

I tried recreating /boot, re-emerging grub, copying config and kernels back, restoring ./ grub symlink, all to no avail.

Please tell me there is a fix. For safety I just made a backup of / on another partition, just in case. I really am at a loss what's the next sound step to take?
suredeath
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Again, I am stoopid Reply with quote

It's fixed. I THOUGHT I had the symlinks fixed, while in fact only one was correct. Maybe someone else will be helped by my errors.

Really make sure there is a symlink in /boot pointing to ./:
Code:
cd /boot
ln -s ./ boot

and one in /boot/grub
Code:
cd /boot/grub
ln -s ./ grub

The one in /boot in my case turned out to be a real directory /boot/boot with just a grub device.map in it. How I got it there, don't ask me. I did.
After fixing this error everything was back to normal.

Maybe as a visual aid I should put up an img of the garbled grub screen on my website. If anyone else thinks that's a good idea, let me know, and I'll recreate my booboo and take a screenshot using my cellphone cam.

The solution handed to me by Cyrillic (thanks again!) also fixed the boot delay. Maybe it's a good thing to mention in some handbook that after a re-emerge of grub a grub-install can be required. I was wrongly assuming I didn't have to, maybe I came to that conclusion because of the fact no grub update is required after changing the grub.conf (whereas LILO requires fixing after changeing its config). This sort of seemed similar.

I learned, yet again. And still, I am such a n00b. Sigh... ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: