who command doesn't show all users
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jean-michel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: who command doesn't show all users Reply with quote

Greetings,

After searching the forums I haven't manage to stumble onto an answer to this, so while I'm surprised it isn't a FAQ, I guess I'll go ahead and ask.

Users who are logged in via (xdm|kdm|gdm) are not displayed when the "w", "who", etc. commands are run (though of course anyone else, logged in via a standard pts device, is).

For example:
Code:

tablet22 gdm # w
  9:37am  up 2 days,  1:08,  5 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.19, 0.20
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
root     pts/0    jordan.sys.kcco.  7:46am  1:47m  0.04s  0.04s  -bash
root     pts/1    guiness.sys.kcco Mon 1pm 43:58m  0.05s  0.05s  -bash
root     pts/2    brazil.sys.kcco.  8:58am  0.00s  0.13s  0.02s  w
jdeng    pts/3    peru.sys.kcco.co  8:35am 15:32   0.06s  0.06s  -bash
root     pts/4    mauritius.sys.kc  8:37am 35:35   0.08s  0.08s  -bash

while ps reveals that another user is in fact logged in via xdm:
Code:

nfc      14252  0.0  0.3  2216 1016 ?        S    08:12   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession

Is there a quick and easy setting or tweak one could do to change this behavior, so that all of the users are displayed via the 'w' or 'who' command? This would be very handy for seeing who is logged into what machine, a feature I sometimes need if the user who is calling ins't sure which machine they are on and I'm forced to guess. Yes, I can run 'ps' and see what user processes are running as whom, but I'd really like to get the old 'who' behavior back.

Many thanks in advance for any enlightenment,

Jean.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different than this thread?
jean-michel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Yes, it is different from that thread because I'm not talking about console windows or xterms, I'm talking about the x session started by gdm/kdm/xdm itself. I don't mind the various xterms not showing up (in fact, I like that behavior), but it would be nice if at least the X session itself showed up in a 'who' listing.

Is there a trick to getting gdm (kdm and xdm for that matter) to report a user's presence when they log in? The man pages seem to be unrevealing on this point, as does a search of the archives here.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes Reply with quote

jean-michel wrote:
Yes, it is different from that thread because I'm not talking about console windows or xterms, I'm talking about the x session started by gdm/kdm/xdm itself.
delta407 wrote:

When you're logged in to KDE, it's not technically a "login" as far as the kernel is concerned.

Quote:
Is there a trick to getting gdm (kdm and xdm for that matter) to report a user's presence when they log in?
I'm not very familiar with the graphical login managers. Have you tried google?
jean-michel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Gentoo behaves differently than the other distros: Why? Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm not very familiar with the graphical login managers. Have you tried google?

*sigh*

Yes, I've tried google, to no avail. I've tried these fora, apparantly also to no avail.

As others have noted, no other distro appears to behave this way ... this quirk appears to be, if not unique to Gentoo, at least a trait Gentoo shares with very few distros, and none of the other major ones.

Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, and Suse all show the logged in user, regardless of whether or not that user logged in via xdm, kdm, gdm, or the console. Gento does not. Dismissing this as "well, Ndm (n=x,k,g) isn't technically a login to the kernel" is simply a copout ... it obviously is considered a login session in most other distros.

The question remains, and it remains unanswered: what is so different about Gentoo that makes it behave in such a non-intuitive manner, contrary not only to one's intuition, but to the behavior of most other GNU/Linux distros? I'm not advocating Gentoo change is some fashion, I merely waht to understand what the hell is going on so I can change that behavior myself, to my own (and my colleague's) satisfaction.

The argument that this behavior is somehow an xdm/kernel quirk, and not a Gentoo quirk, to be singularly unconvincing, given the contrasting behavior of Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse, etc.

E.g. Debian
Code:

venezuela:~# uname -a
Linux venezuela 2.4.16-xfs-debian-3.0-test #1 SMP Sat Dec 8 14:25:38 CST 2001 i686 unknown

venezuela:~# who
pbf      :0           Dec  6 06:47
root     pts/0        Dec  6 15:31 (brazil.sys.kcco.com)

vs. Gentoo
Code:

Linux alderaan.front.kcco.com 2.4.19-gentoo-r9 #1 SMP Wed Oct 2 12:14:00 CDT 2002 i686 AuthenticAMD

alderaan root # who
root     pts/0    Dec  6 15:32 (brazil.sys.kcco.com)

(pbf is logged in to via kdm/gdm and running an x session on both machines)

This isn't [x|g|k]dm, this isn't the kernel, this is Gentoo being different, and I'd really like to know the how and why, so I can modify the behavior to suit the expectations of myself and my colleagues.

many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.
procon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Red Hat 6.2 and noticed that same EXACT problem you are experiencing. I haven't tested Red Hat 7.x to see if it has the same behavior, but the 6.2 behavior was annoying. I've seen this using VNC as well as xdm.
clockwise
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... stumbled across this post randomly, so checked my "who" output. it does show me as logged in through x...
Code:

$ who
root     vc/1         Feb 25 22:46         
clockwis :0           Feb 25 21:50         
clockwis pts/3        Feb 25 22:46 (localhost)

the only thing i can think of is that i'm using PAM. i' using the gentoo-sources and haven't added (or subtracted) anything to major from my USE variables.
barran
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why does noone know anything about this. I got here via the link in the faq.
I would too like know why gentoo is showing incorrectly number of logged in users.
Other distros dont have this behaviour so why does Gentoo? What can I do to force w, who and whatever to show that I am logged in?
clockwise
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just looked at this again briefly... the important file is /var/run/utmp which is where logins are recorded. however, i'm not sure that it is the responsibility of [x|g|k]dm to write this entry, rather the x start-up.

i'll do a bit more research.
barran
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Grsecurity Reply with quote

I've found out that it is grsecurity that is causing this behavior. It hides users and processes for users so they can't see whether an admin is logged on or not.
That has the effect that it appears that no users are logged in, and users not in the wheel group can only see their own processes via ps or similar tools.

Anyway try disabling grsecurity in your kernel - but enable some of it back. It really add effective security to the kernel. Grsecurity fx. prevents people from using the ptrace security hole because of random process ids.

This should finally bring some light on this...
orionrobots
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Grsecurity Reply with quote

barran wrote:
I've found out that it is grsecurity that is causing this behavior.

Hmm - I wonder if any mandrake users have experienced this - later versions of mandrake come with most grsecurity options compiled into the kernel. It would almost make sense to disallow an unprivellidged or general user from seeing admin activity.

Does it effect the output of ps -efl? Some command lines will reveal all of their parameters with the l switch - which could compromise security in some situations.
barran
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does it effect the output of ps -efl? Some command lines will reveal all of their parameters with the l switch - which could compromise security in some situations.

Yes ps -efl only show information about your own processes if you are not root or in the wheel group.
keyser_soze
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this out...

Use sessreg to fix your problem call it when xdm/kdm/gdm/entrance starts your WM

Quote:
NAME
sessreg - manage utmp/wtmp entries for non-init clients

Quote:
USAGE
In Xstartup, place a call like:

sessreg -a -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xservers $USER

and in Xreset:

sessreg -d -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xservers $USER

This might be the problem
barran
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this might fix the problem???
keyser_soze
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe

I have been looking for a solution. I have been fiddling with sessreg but I can't get it to work 100%
It definatly adds users to the who command

try as root

sessreg -a joebloggs

who will show joebloggs in users...

but in terms of launching it with X... still doesn't seem to be working... but I am sure this is how to do it. look at the man of sessreg
ljgibson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running xdm and icewm, and have also experimented with sessreg with no success so far (other than success issuing sessreg commands as root in a terminal). I've seen some advice which says to place the appropriate sessreg commands in the GiveConsole and TakeConsole scripts in /etc/X11/xdm, but for me this resulted in being automatically logged out /immediately/ after logging in (so quickly that the icewm desktop never showed up). I'd like to make sessreg work from Xstartup and Xreset like the man pages recommend.

On my system, /var/log/xdm.log logs two errors reported by xmd:

(EE) Unable to locate/open config file

and

(EE) open /dev/fb0: Unknown error 999

I don't know what the second error means, but my xdm-config file resides in /etc/X11/xdm and has a symlink pointing to it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm.

Has anyone else seen and fixed either of these two errors? Perhaps fixing these would also fix the use of sessreg in Xstartup and Xreset?
barran
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some magic is done in the scripts in /etc/X11/gdm/{PreSession,PostSession} which could give a clue how to do it.
It works fine for me in Gnome now. So I have it fixed without doing a thing :).

Dont ya just love Gentoo :)

Oh. The version of my gdm is 2.6.0.4-r1
Finally this seems to be solved.
ljgibson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emerge'd gdm, and as noted that certainly fixes the problem. Why sessreg doesn't work as advertised for xdm is unknown to me.

Thanks (and yes, I'm thoroughly pleased with Gentoo!).
keyser_soze
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats fine,
But I want to use entrance I don't like gdm
ljgibson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently revisited the issue of xdm logins not being reported by the who command. I had previously tried placing sessreg commands into GiveConsole and TakeConsole, and experienced poor results and even worse problems. But after reading bug report no. 12767 (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12767), and having forgotten of my previous failures, I again placed sessreg commands into GiveConsole and TakeConsole, identical to those shown in the bug report. My logins with xdm are now seen with the who command.

I don't know why this didn't work before; I had experienced rather catastrophic results. However, since that earlier trial I have replaced xorg version 6.8x with version 6.7. Perhaps that explains the difference in the results.
ljgibson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE:>>
I don't know why this didn't work before; I had experienced rather catastrophic results. However, since that earlier trial I have replaced xorg version 6.8x with version 6.7. Perhaps that explains the difference in the results.
<<

After pondering this a little more, I'm pretty sure that I did not enter the sessreg commands identical to those shown in the bug report in my previous attempts. I did not enter the '-h "" ' argument previously.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem, except that I'm not using any login manager (just startx), so none of the solutions in here works for me. I guess it happened when I upgraded xorg-x11, but I hadn't restarted X for over 60 days before I noticed it, so it's kinda hard to tell exactly when the problem arouse.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not solved. :(
deno
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, but only if I log into kde over entrance.
keyser_soze
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never solved this problem.

KDM and GDM add the user loggin in as part of thier log in process.
XDM does also. It has been a long time since i fiddled with this problem.

I am not sure how to do it with entrance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: