View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The response to --no-replace... Reply with quote

Necoro wrote:
Shingoshi wrote:
Layman never reports anything to be updated for portage-2.2 to replace.The thing is layman reports that there is no new revision available. Actually, it stated this: "No revisions to pull". I'm going to test it again right now. I just got the same result again. This was from my running layman -s portato. That's why I suggested that it be put directly into portato itself. Portato needs to check for the updates, and then do whatever other steps are necessary to install the update.

Oh oh ... you are mixing up layman and portage. Layman only handles the overlay (and there really was no update as the ebuild did not change)....

Quote:
Now, I did that by using the command line. But then again, I haven't gotten any kind of message from portato either, saying that an update was present. So how exactly does the update plugin actually work? Portato needs to have it's own cron job to check for updates, especially for the live edition.

The update plugin uses the bzr API to connect to the remote branch and compare the revision there with the actual installed one. This plugin is only run on startup :). And: It was buggy in the past - so perhaps you still have a version installed, where it is disabled :)

I have rev. 159 installed. You need to understand something. I never ever close portato unless it crashes. But then, I still didn't close it. So for me, the way the update plugin works now, isn't practical for me. But I will try restarting portato just to see what happens. But please, make portato do live updates while it is running. Otherwise, you have to restart portato to check, and then quit, just so that you can restart it to use the new version. Too many steps. Let portato run a continuous (cron job) check in the background. Then when one is available, ask the user if they want to accept it or not. Once they've accepted the new version, they shouldn't have to do anything more from that point on, except restart portato to use the new version.

Shingoshi

Necoro,
An hourly update would be fantastic! Especially since the more stable portato becomes, the less chance there will be of it ever being closed. I know that I will have to restart it to update. That's not a problem for now. But honestly, I would like to see portato be the vanguard of applications that can perform live updates without ever being restarted. That may seem like a tall order right now. But once these small things are taken care of, I will start to investigate what software technologies exist to make this and other things possible in portato.

Yes, I am a visionary when it comes to the usage of portato. Because just as Gentoo would barely function without portage, I want to see portage barely function without portato. That's what I'm looking forward to. And I might as well share this with you now. I would like to see the console be a truly functioning console, possibly with plugins for Konsole or Gnome's console (whatever the name is). Then, no one could complain about replacing the console with a gui. Because there would be a fully functional console within portato's gui. If you do that, using manpages (or just about anything else for that matters, like mc) would become integral to the portato environment. You could possibly in the meantime, make the search box able to run commands in the console.

Me, BIG thinker!!
Shingoshi

I just restarted portato. There's no mention of an update. The only option here seems to be uninstalling it, so that I can reinstall it. So, how long would it take for you to modify portato, so that the next time I uninstall portato to install the latest version, that will be the last time I have to do so? I will wait until you've done that before I uninstall portato again. Because I never want to have to uninstall portato again after that. Because unless I remember to do "emerge -a =app-portage/portato-9999", it will instead choose to install one of the other versions instead.

Shingoshi

Necoro,
I realize this question has nothing to do with you or portato, I'm just asking for friendly advice. Do you have any idea why I see this on the commandline, but never in portato. At least I don't remember seeing it in portato.

/etc/make.conf: line 81: /root/layman/make.conf: Permission denied

I probably have my make.conf setup wrong, huh?

Shingoshi
Shingoshi's User Styles for Firefox
http://userstyles.org/users/3665

Last edited by Shingoshi on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:04 pm; edited 5 times in total
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... I can expand it, so that it runs every hour or so ... but you have to close it nevertheless after the new version is installed ;)
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Please let me know when the hourly update is provided. Reply with quote

Necoro wrote:
Hmm ... I can expand it, so that it runs every hour or so ... but you have to close it nevertheless after the new version is installed ;)

Would you please be kind enough to post here when the new version having this feature is available, as I will have no other means of knowing. That's unless I uninstall portato to reinstall it again, as I had to do the last time I update the 9999 version. I don't want to go through that, only to find out it hasn't been done yet.

Thank you.
Shingoshi
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess: You have EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--noreplace" in you make.conf? - Because otherwise you definitly do not have to unstill prior to installing ... (Except they really changed something in portage-2.2 - but I did not find anything about it in the notes)
seqizz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: :\ Reply with quote

Sorry if given, i've searched in this topic but..

Like a python module problem, but i didn't see :

Code:
* Listener has not been started. (plistener.py:88)
* Setting Portage System (__init__.py:59)
* Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/portato", line 116, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/portato", line 90, in main
    run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/gtk/__init__.py", line 27, in run
    m = MainWindow(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/gtk/windows.py", line 944, in __init__
    self.cfg.modify_external_configs()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/gui_helper.py", line 82, in modify_external_configs
    self.modify_debug_config()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/gui_helper.py", line 67, in modify_debug_config
    if self.get_boolean("debug"):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/config_parser.py", line 250, in get_boolean
    val = self.vars[section][key]
KeyError: 'debug'
 (exception_handling.py:121)

my system has :
dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r5
dev-python/pygobject-2.14.1
dev-python/pygtk-2.12.1

python has this flags:

version 2.4.4-r8(2.4) - (berkdb gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline ssl -bootstrap -build -doc -elibc_uclibc -examples -nocxx -nothreads -tk -ucs2)
version 2.5.1-r5(2.5) - (berkdb gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline ssl -bootstrap -build -doc -elibc_uclibc -examples -nothreads -sqlite -tk -ucs2)

What did i miss?
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: :\ Reply with quote

Ehm... it's a problem with the config file (/etc/portato/portato.cfg). Did you install portato with portage? - Or did you just extract the tarball?

@Shingoshi: Your visions are great - but I won't do this :) Portato is meant a GUI for portage ... and nothing more...
Regarding your problem with the permissions: What the error means, is obvious (and why is the layman stuff located under /root Oo). I don't know why you don't see this under portato... Guess: Normally emerge drops priviliges to portage:portage (thus it can't read /root anymore). Perhaps it does not do so if started by portato ... don't ask me why :D

Btw: Gnome's terminal is named gnome-terminal ... fancy isn't it :D

Last edited by Necoro on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
seqizz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: :\ Reply with quote

by portage..
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: :\ Reply with quote

seqizz wrote:
by portage..

Ok - check /etc/portato/portato.cfg ... It should look similar to this one. And btw: which version of portato are you using?
seqizz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: :\ Reply with quote

My config file and the file which you've given, has same md5sum numbers..
:\

portage version is 2.1.4.4
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Oh I so wanted to sing Phoebe Snow's "No Regrets" Reply with quote

Necoro wrote:
Let me guess: You have EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--noreplace" in you make.conf? - Because otherwise you definitly do not have to unstill prior to installing ... (Except they really changed something in portage-2.2 - but I did not find anything about it in the notes)

I know, that doesn't make any sense to you. You probably don't even know who Phoebe Snow is!

But nope, I don't have no --no-replace. Like "I can't get no satisfaction!

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--tree --verbose --newuse --with-bdeps=y --deep --buildpkg"

That's what I have for emerge. No --no-replace

Shingoshi

I've never installed anything in Gentoo from Gentoo from a tarball. Installing is what I have portato for.

Last edited by Shingoshi on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@seqizz: Ok ... now it's becoming strange ...

Please try the following: open /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/config_parser.py with your favorite editor and insert into line 246:
Code:
error(self.vars)

Make sure it is correctly indented (same level as other code) with 2 tabs (must not be spaces).

And then rerun portato and post the output :) Thx

/edit: Final code should look like:
Code:

def get_boolean (self, key, section = "MAIN"):
      """Returns the boolean value of a given key in a section.

@param key: the key
      @type key: string
      @param section: the section
      @type section: string

@returns: value
      @rtype: boolean

@raises KeyError: if section or key could not be found
      @raises ValueError: if key does not have a boolean value"""
      error(self.vars)   
      section = section.upper()
      key = key.lower()

if val.is_bool():
         return val.boolean

raise ValueError, "\"%s\" is not a boolean. (%s)" % (key, val.value)

/edit2: Changed function and line number ... sorry
seqizz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: :\ Reply with quote

Umm.. i did.. here is the output..

Just looking you to understand what you do, but i've no programming eperience, just lookin' :D

Code:
* Listener has not been started. (plistener.py:88)
* Setting Portage System (__init__.py:59)
* {'GUi': {'showsystray': true, 'browsercmd': firefox, 'updatetitle': on, 'hideonminimize': true}, 'MAIN': {}, 'MAiN': {'synccommand': emerge --sync, 'newuse': true, 'keywordperversion': True, 'system': portage, 'deep': true, 'usefile': portato, 'maskfile': portato, 'keywordfile': portato, 'maskperversion': True, 'useperversion': False, 'debug': True}, 'GTK': {'packagetabpos': 2, 'systemtabpos': 2, 'consolefont': Monospace 11}} (config_parser.py:246)
* Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/portato", line 116, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/portato", line 90, in main
    run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/gtk/__init__.py", line 27, in run
    m = MainWindow(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/gtk/windows.py", line 944, in __init__
    self.cfg.modify_external_configs()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/gui_helper.py", line 82, in modify_external_configs
    self.modify_debug_config()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/gui_helper.py", line 67, in modify_debug_config
    if self.get_boolean("debug"):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/portato/config_parser.py", line 250, in get_boolean
KeyError: 'debug'
 (exception_handling.py:121)
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: :\ Reply with quote

Oookay ... here we have a typical i18n problem ^^ ... as I see from your signature, you are from Turkey... and as wikipedia tells me, there are two "i"'s in the Turkish language: one with a dot - and one without... as you can see in the listing, two main sections are "created": 'MAIN': {}, 'MAiN': {... So here lies the problem: "MAIN" != to_uppercase("Main").

A workaround is to open /etc/portato/portato.cfg and replace the section headers [Main] and [Gui] with [MAIN] and [GUI] ...
seqizz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: :\ Reply with quote

i was thinking why i can't run this program ever.. :)
Thanks.. fixed.. Now running, i'm looking the portato, what's that.. :D

This is specific for Turkish .. i İ ı I
Can you do something for this (to main code)?
Edit // Gives "segmentation fault" sometimes.. :?
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: :\ Reply with quote

seqizz wrote:
Thanks.. fixed.. Now running, i'm looking the portato, what's that.. :D

Great to hear :D

Quote:
Can you do something for this (to main code)?

I hope. But have to read some documentation on i18n first. First workaround will be (of course) to replace the headers in the config too.

Quote:
Edit // Gives "segmentation fault" sometimes.. :?

Portato itself cannot segfault. It is an underlying library.

Try emerge --oneshot -av glib gtk+ pygobject pygtk vte - one of them is normally the guilty one :)
If it still happens you can create a core dump and debug it:
Code:
# ulimit -c 10000000
# portato
<...crashes...>
# gdb python core

Replace core by the actual created core dump file. Sometimes it is only called "core" and sometimes it is "core.$PID" where $PID is the pid of the portato process.
In gdb you then can type "bt" and you should see a backtrace. Post it and I normally should be able to help :)
HeissFuss
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I've been trying out Portato and I like the interface. One feature that I really wish that the app had would be the ability to remotely administer other Gentoo machines over ssh. None of the GUI apps seems to support this, but it's really nice to have.

What I'm talking about is something similar to Redhat's network management tool https://www.redhat.com/rhn/rhntour/ (except not a web app and not requiring additional daemons running on the target boxes besides ssh.)

I know that there's two similar Gentoo projects (GEMS and SCIRE) but GEMS seems dead and SCIRE doesn't seem to be anywhere near functional at this point.
seqizz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: :\ Reply with quote

Necoro wrote:

Try emerge --oneshot -av glib gtk+ pygobject pygtk vte - one of them is normally the guilty one :)

That fixed. But.. i can't quit.. Portato loves me really, or after this "blue" messages it forget to quit :

Code:
* Saving [('version', 'session')] with values [1] (session.py:89)
* Saving [('width', 'window'), ('height', 'window')] with values (1035, 541) (session.py:89)
* Saving [('vpanedpos', 'window'), ('hpanedpos', 'window')] with values [180, 300] (session.py:89)
* Saving [('catsel', 'window'), ('pkgsel', 'window')] with values ['3', '3'] (session.py:89)
* Saving [('merge', 'queue'), ('unmerge', 'queue'), ('oneshot', 'queue')] with values ('', '', '') (session.py:89)
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeissFuss wrote:
Hey,

I've been trying out Portato and I like the interface. One feature that I really wish that the app had would be the ability to remotely administer other Gentoo machines over ssh. None of the GUI apps seems to support this, but it's really nice to have.

As soon as portato uses the dbus based catapult system, it shouldn't be a problem anymore. (Given that someone implents dbus-over-ssh till then ;))
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: :\ Reply with quote

seqizz wrote:
That fixed. But.. i can't quit.. Portato loves me really, or after this "blue" messages it forget to quit :

Code:
* Saving [('version', 'session')] with values [1] (session.py:89)
* Saving [('width', 'window'), ('height', 'window')] with values (1035, 541) (session.py:89)
* Saving [('vpanedpos', 'window'), ('hpanedpos', 'window')] with values [180, 300] (session.py:89)
* Saving [('catsel', 'window'), ('pkgsel', 'window')] with values ['3', '3'] (session.py:89)
* Saving [('merge', 'queue'), ('unmerge', 'queue'), ('oneshot', 'queue')] with values ('', '', '') (session.py:89)

Code:
echo "=dev-python/lxml-2.0.2" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
emerge --oneshot -av lxml

Known issue with lxml-2.0.2 ... :) (but my gentoo-dev did not update the dep in the ebuild :))
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Is it soup yet? Reply with quote

Necoro,
Have you put the internal hourly update feature in portato-9999 yet?

Shingoshi

Necoro,
/EDIT: Ok, here's another one of my grand ideas. :idea: As it exists now, portato keeps it's configuration data in /etc/portato/portato.cfg. This is requiring that the user use one of the /etc configuration editors (like etc-proposals) to check for what changes have been made to that file, every time that you (the developer) changes it. This is especially true, if the user has changed the font in portato. I have a better idea than this.

We also have another configuration file for portato, kept in the user's home directory as $HOME/.portato/gtk_session.cfg. I am now requesting that you use that file (maybe changing it's name to $HOME/.portato/portato.user.prefs.cfg) to hold all of the user's preferences, and then run "source $HOME/.portato/gtk_session.cfg" from the file in /etc/portato/portato.cfg to grab the settings that the user has selected there. For one thing, this will eliminate the user from having to reset the changes they lost from any upgrades, and you can then offer new levels of functionality to the user which won't be affected by changes in /etc/portato/portato.cfg. Because one of the things I would like you to provide, is the ability for every user to have a User menu on the menubar. In that menu, which would be fully customizable by the user, they could add any functionality they so choose, without affecting the code of portato.

Another and more important thing to me, would be this. You mentioned before that the gui of portato is customizable. But the method for doing so, isn't immediately available from within portato. So I am also asking that glade be added as a plugin to portato. Doing so, would give portato a functionality similar to that of the DOM Inspector in all of the Mozilla products. Any user could then customize portato to their own specific liking, and save the changes in $HOME/.portato/gtk_session.cfg. Which now, because it is being read by source /etc/portato/portato.cfg, would never be lost from one version to another.

The user's menu should have within it, the option to call the Gtk program which performs the interface changes. And this would stop me from asking you to make changes that we don't agree on, while allowing me to have all the functionality I want. :D

Please, consider doing this soon. You could move all (as in each and every one) of the settings for portato's interface into the $HOME/.portato/gtk_session.cfg now, and use it as the template for making any changes the user so desires.

Do that, and I probably won't be bugging you again! At least, not for the gui. :lol:

Shingoshi

Necoro,
I didn't realize until now, that I didn't have Glade installed. It is now, and I'm installing all of the other packages having glade in their name. Using the search box however, I notice that I get multiple entries for the same package in the same category. Were you aware of this, and can you fix it. Redundancy is redundant. I just couldn't think of anything else to say. :lol:

Shingoshi
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Deleted message. Reply with quote

Deleted message.

Last edited by Shingoshi on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Something for the benefit of mass package handlers... Reply with quote

This just occurred to me as I was attempting to install the pnet packages in dev-dotnet, which were being blocked by boehm-gc from dev-libs. I needed to remove boehm-gc in order to install the pnet suite. But I had over twenty packages waiting in the queue. The only way that I could handle this, was to go to a console, and unmerge boehm-gc from there. But here's an alternative.

Please provide separate consoles in portato, one for merging packages, and the other for unmerging them. This way, no one will have to wait until a long queue has completed before being able to remove unwanted packages to install those that are needed. This is something that also would have been provided by the addition of true console functionality within portato. And I wouldn't be writing you about this.

Thank you,
Shingoshi
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few words:
1.) The sandbox error is a portage issue ... please ask in the correct threads. This is the wrong place.
2.) Running several emerge instances at the same time is discouraged (and for example will make the queue updater in portato fail)
3.) Let the user change the frontend: No. I said that most things are done in the .glade files. But some things are done in the program itself - and lots of things rely on the current layout.
4.) You are right: At least the GUI prefs should be individual and not on a per-system basis. I thought about this already but haven't implemented it yet.
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Is it only in portato? Reply with quote

Necoro wrote:
Just a few words:
1.) The sandbox error is a portage issue ... please ask in the correct threads. This is the wrong place.
2.) Running several emerge instances at the same time is discouraged (and for example will make the queue updater in portato fail)
3.) Let the user change the frontend: No. I said that most things are done in the .glade files. But some things are done in the program itself - and lots of things rely on the current layout.
4.) You are right: At least the GUI prefs should be individual and not on a per-system basis. I thought about this already but haven't implemented it yet.

1. Apologies. Will shortly remove it.
2. Is this queue issue only present in portato? I have often run many instances of emerge in parallel.
3+4. Please explain the difference/separation between the gui and the .glade files that provides it. Just how much can I change then in the gui, without affecting the functioning of portato?

NEW: Another request.
Please provide what we can call a panic button, to pause an emerge, without having to wait for the cursor input to be recognized to pull up the menu to select it. I'm having to pause emerge, just to be able to post here. There have been other occasions, where I've really needed to pause the emerge (sometimes to evaluate a long list of packages to be installed, and the dependencies generated by them), Being able to immediately click on a panic button, would be very nice indeed.

Thank you,
Shingoshi
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is it only in portato? Reply with quote

Shingoshi wrote:
2. Is this queue issue only present in portato? I have often run many instances of emerge in parallel.

To see what is currently emerging, portato uses qlop. If there are different emerges running, anything can happen.
Quote:
Just how much can I change then in the gui, without affecting the functioning of portato?

I don't know what is done where by heart - so the best answer is: Nothing.
Quote:
NEW: Another request.
Please provide what we can call a panic button, to pause an emerge, without having to wait for the cursor input to be recognized to pull up the menu to select it. I'm having to pause emerge, just to be able to post here. There have been other occasions, where I've really needed to pause the emerge (sometimes to evaluate a long list of packages to be installed, and the dependencies generated by them), Being able to immediately click on a panic button, would be very nice indeed.

Hmm ... there is a shortcut already installed ... just hit Ctrl-Z.

/edit: Starting from revision 169 the new_version plugin runs every 30 minutes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: