View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Why I posted the Issue here... Reply with quote

Necoro wrote:
@Shingoshi: There is no callback for it. It is handled in the normal code... see portato.gui.windows.main.PackageTable._update_keywords
And for the four callbacks you requested:
a) 8O - don't understand what you want
b) Please use the portato forum and not this thread for "internal" things

Regarding the "bug": Would be great if you would not crosspost - posting it only in Portato's issues is enough

Btw: Exams done - diploma thesis, I'm coming :D

I tried to explain that the Issues site wouldn't let me post there for some reason. I tried twice, but each time it refused. So I felt it was important enough to post and let you know. Otherwise, you would not have seen the message (unless I had saved it and sent it later.) But seriously, I simply didn't know what else to do at the time. I just didn't think about saving it. I normally stop what I'm doing, and post bugs immediately so that I don't forget to.

I'm posting answers to this in my forum for you to see.

Shingoshi
Shingoshi's User Styles for Firefox
http://userstyles.org/users/3665
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Is this too much to ask??? Reply with quote

It would be nice to have a continuous audible alert (which runs until you turn it off) when a queue exits unsuccessfully. If you have a long queue of packages to be installed, you have to sit in front of the computer to know if the queue exits without proper results. It would be nice to have portato sound an alarm on a failed queue. Then maybe I could have a life beyond my monitor. Or at least looking at something else other than queues.

Shingoshi
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy doable using a plugin that uses the after_emerge hook and checks the retcode argument...
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Thanks!!! Reply with quote

Necoro wrote:
Easy doable using a plugin that uses the after_emerge hook and checks the retcode argument...

Because I wrote this after I had another queue crash. And then I come back, and find out what I thought had fixed the problem, hadn't. So for something simple, I lost a couple of hours of work because of a blocking package. I hope this is something you can do soon. I really need it.

/edit: The alarm could be automatically turned off when the user clicks anywhere in the portato window. Either that, or I would add a button for it right next to the "Stop Queue" button I already have. There would be no problem with them sitting next to each other, because accidentally hitting one instead of the other won't have disastrous consequences.

BTW. I forgot to say congratulations on your graduation. I hope you find all of the things you want to do in life are now made available.

Be Blessed! :wink:
Shingoshi

Ok. So here's the question I probably should have asked sometime ago. Don't need to discuss it here. But here it is.

Is it possible to access the hooks (as you do with callbacks) in portato from the Glade file itself? (edit) Because I've been under the impression that only callbacks can be used to implement functions through the MainWindow.glade.

Create a new post on my forum if you need to give an involved answer.

/Necoro: It's really funny how disoriented I am when I first upgrade portato, and find the interface to be completely different from what I expect. I have to stop and wonder, "Where am I? But I think it's necessary to see what if any changes you may have made each time you upgrade the live version. Don't see anything in rev. 214 that's out of the usual. So back to work now.
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Concerning Portato-9999... Reply with quote

There really needs to be a changelog for the live version of portato. Without it, I have no way of knowing what I should be looking for to test. It's the best way that I can give feedback on what's happening with your modifications. So please include a change log for that version. I'm pretty certain there's nothing precluding this from being done.

/EDIT: I just checked the files for portato and found that there is a changelog. But I have no idea why it doesn't show up, unless it's not where it's expected to be. In any case, I want to see the changelog for portato when using portato.

Upgrading to rev. 216

/EDIT: Another VERY necessary feature!! There needs to be an option in the File menu to "Restart Portato". This is especially true for the portato-9999 version which must be frequently updated and restarted afterwards. But it is also beneficial for the standard versions as well. It would also help alleviate some issues concerning packages not being cleared from the Queue unless portato is restarted. It is just a generally good idea for a package such as this.

/NECORO: I REALLY need to say this. THANK YOU!! Thank you for providing the ability to scroll back to the beginning of the Console's output. I had started taking this for granted. But I felt I needed to come back here and say thanks again. I just wanted to check whether or not any packages had been downloaded from my previous attempt of emerge (since I have the PREFETCH option set in make.conf and also use delta downloads), and was able to see what I wanted to know by pausing the console and scrolling back to the start. I have used this for many, if not for most of the queues I emerge now. That's how essential of a feature this was (and is) to me. So once again, THANK YOU!!

Shingoshi

/ps: Please let me know that you've seen my edits, or I will have no idea if you've actually seen them.
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Something completely new... Reply with quote

Here's a scenario I want everyone to consider.

You've already started a queue of packages to be installed, and is now running. But you continue working selecting more packages for another queue. Some of the packages in this next to be executed queue, have dependencies which are already present in the current queue that's running. But none of those dependencies have been emerged yet. So when you select new packages with the same dependencies as those already in the queue, these dependencies are reloaded into the queue a second time. [Now, if this is working in portato-0.10, none of you will be concerned about this. But I don't think the queue is working any better in the standard package, than it does in the live package. So I think this concerns everyone.]

If the queue in portato were working optimally, when those packages (as dependencies of the second queue) in the first queue were finally merged, they should also be removed from the dependency list of packages in the soon to be followed (second) queue.

An example of this is with the set of packages for Qt-4.4.0. These are (finally: http://portato.origo.ethz.ch/node/78) being installed as part of another package's dependency chain. But then I noticed that qt-phonon is now bumped up to 4.4.0 as well. So I select qt-phonon to be installed. But all of it's dependencies, though in the currently running (first) queue, have not yet been merged. So there again, are all of these dependencies reposted in the second queue. Problem is that they aren't removed as the currently running (first) queue satisfies those dependencies. You might think this is not a problem. But it is, since emerge still has to take time to verify that these packages are now present in the system while checking the dependencies of this new (second) queue having been just loaded. Now again, if you only load a few packages in your spare time, this may not be an issue for you. But for someone who does this for work, time is money. And since there is no means to remove the dependencies from the queue for any package, you cannot manually correct this problem yourself before starting the second queue, without doing the additional work of removing the package requiring those dependencies, and then reposting it to the queue. More work, more time. So here's another reason why the queue needs attention. More specifically, portato needs attention in how it updates it's working data.

Shingoshi

/EDIT: Ok, this is confusing. I started my first queue by only emerging portato to change one of it's USE flags. Attempting to emerge portato is what called up the 22 other packages being emerged with it. So the first queue was technically only portato. In the second queue is where I had qt-phonon listed. The dependencies for qt-phonon were finally removed, but not individually, but as a set. And portato which had been merged in the first queue before the dependencies for qt-phonon were, was never removed. So there remained portato listed under the queue, while the dependencies for the second queue were subsequently removed. To say the least, I find that really odd.

I don't know if this is because all of the packages at a certain level must all be removed before any of them are removed or not. But I don't think so. Instead, I find the behavior to be intermittent and sporadic. Sometimes packages are removed, while others in the same queue are not. It just seems very confusing. An explanation would be nice, if possible.
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started using portato as kuroo appears to be broken. Whats sorely missed is a way to add packages to the world file. Also, I am having a hard time figuring out how to unmask a package.
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
Whats sorely missed is a way to add packages to the world file.

Adding to world file w/o re-compiling?

Quote:
Also, I am having a hard time figuring out how to unmask a package.

If you have a package selected, just remove the check for Masked/Testing (which ever applies). Note that the check does not really disappear, but Mask/Testing is then written in italics and surrounded by parens. If you are not going to install the package (where flags are saved), use the "Save Flags" menu item (located under "Emerge") to save them.
Also if you are adding a masked package to the queue, it automatically asks you whether you want to unmask it. Then clicking yes does all the magic :)

/edit: Shingoshi: Sorry don't have time atm to read your posts/issues atm. Will come back to this somewhere around next week (I hope).
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: I'm sorry that I keep raising this... Reply with quote

The reason why the queue is so important to me is this. If you customarily have long or very long queues (like the list of dependencies that come up for java packages), when something crashes, you have to dig through everything trying to find that one package and remove it so you can continue the queue. That's why I keep harping on about this. It's a workload issue for me, not merely for the sake of convenience.

Shingoshi
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necoro, you may want to emerge himerge to get some ideas of the unmasking and keywording drop down box that the himerge developer has created, its very intuitive. Although I like your setup, that doesn't give you many options as far as masking and keywording. Himerge, under the edit tab has a packages branch that opens all the portage files, mask, unmask etc etc and allows you to see the file and delete lines. Its great. Your layout has some really nice qualities that himerge doesn't have. I just would like to see these package managers offer the same usability kuroo did for so long.

Also, please tell me step by step how to include your reload plugin as just copying the files to their respective places didn't work.

Thanks
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: I can barely believe it... Reply with quote

Finally someone besides me asking for the same thing. Could this be someone who likes to work?

Shingoshi

Can't possibly be because we're from the same town in New York. 27 years gone, and ain't going back!
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shingoshi, sorry to hear you didn't like NY, but I love it here, I love a few other places too but I think I would find it hard to leave and not come back.
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shingoshi, could you possibly tell me step by step how to setup the reload portage plugin?
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: I believe it's automatic... Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
Shingoshi, could you possibly tell me step by step how to setup the reload portage plugin?

/edit: I just realized this. You're using the standard version of portato. I'm using the live development version. I don't know if the "Reload Portage" plugin is installed in the standard version. It may have been created after the release of portato-0.10, if so, there's no way to get it. This too is something that I asked Necoro to do, to produce a means for users to add plugins to portato. But that has not yet been provided. Maybe now that another user besides me has asked for it, he'll give it further consideration. :D

The only thing that can be done with plugins, is to disable them. They run automatically upon installation. If you're having trouble with the Queue not updating after each emerge, that's a continuing problem which I've raised with Necoro. Check the forum here. You'll see that the Reload plugin exists because I asked for it. It was the least resisted change that I've asked for. But portato has deeper problems with managing the internal data, specifically regarding most/all forms of process updates.

Shingoshi
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... hopefully, I'll address any concerns/issues:

Reload Portage Plugin

Queues and their problems
It is not possible to run multiple queues of the same type (there are currently three types: update, install, uninstall) at the same time. If you do this and encounter strange behavior, it's your fault. If this is why you get all these issues, I'll close the bugs :)

Himerge and unmasking
I know himerge. Though I find this menu not quite good... why does it offer you the possibility to unmask an unmasked package? But it is a good idea to be able to switch whether the actual CP or CPV should be affected.

Changelog
Code:
bzr log /usr/portage/distfiles/bzr-src/portato-9999

Restart Portato
ehm - no

Scrollback
Thanks - but I did not change anything there, except enlarging the maximum number of lines
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necoro, please let me know where I can download the 9999 ebuilds.
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
Necoro, please let me know where I can download the 9999 ebuilds.

http://portato.origo.ethz.ch/#toc1 ... is there a reason why you need it?
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you have told me how to use the reload plugin, I guess not. I thought I needed it for the reload plugin.
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
I thought I needed it for the reload plugin.

Nope - isn't needed.
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Something doesn't make sense here... Reply with quote

Quote:
Queues and their problems
It is not possible to run multiple queues of the same type (there are currently three types: update, install, uninstall) at the same time. If you do this and encounter strange behavior, it's your fault. If this is why you get all these issues, I'll close the bugs :)

If it is impossible to run multiple queues, how can I be guilty of doing so? Now if I'm guilty of doing this, then it can't be impossible. So if I understand you correctly, I think you meant to say that loading packages into these three different queue types simultaneously will only cause problems with portato. However, since I don't remember seeing any message suggesting that this shouldn't be done, I don't see how this is precisely my fault. Since you already know that these queues can't be simultaneously loaded, it might instead be your fault for allowing this to be done. Because as it is now, portato does not prohibit a user from doing this. So I would suggest that portato not allow multiple (conflicting) queues to be loaded at once. But then, I was mostly interested in the fact that when queues (of the same type) are loaded in succession, preceding queues are not properly cleared before the next queues in line are loaded into emerge. And again, if you know this to be a problem, it really doesn't make sense to allow the user to do so, and then blame them for something that is readily allowed.

Shingoshi
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - having the different queues simultaneously is definitly allowed. Portato will execute them one after the other.
But using queues of the same type at the same time is the problem: E.g. your are installing a package (-> install queue). Then you are adding another package while the queue is still running. Portato won't complain (this is a problem ...) and add it to the currently running queue. If you then click execute again ... well ... it'll do strange things ...
Necoro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per revision 227, portato supports the collapsed category style known from porthole :) *just a quick announcement*
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Thanks for the clarification... Reply with quote

Necoro wrote:
No - having the different queues simultaneously is definitly allowed. Portato will execute them one after the other.
But using queues of the same type at the same time is the problem: E.g. your are installing a package (-> install queue). Then you are adding another package while the queue is still running. Portato won't complain (this is a problem ...) and add it to the currently running queue. If you then click execute again ... well ... it'll do strange things ...

Sorry if I sounded snippy. But I do hope that you'll be able to either stop the loading of successive queues, or use one of my earlier suggestions to deal with this. But since you didn't seem to have any interest in that suggestion, I won't list it again, unless you specifically ask me to.

Shingoshi
Shingoshi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Just as a heads-up... Reply with quote

My server finally crashed before I was able to get the new (4 socket) board installed. So I haven't been able to do anything with Gentoo for about a week. Although the new board is now installed, I still have to get another (auxiliary) power supply (having thought the old one had all the connections I needed). So I won't be able to test or have anything to contribute here until everything is installed and running. But I will check back occasionally to see what's going on.

Aren't you just smiling! :roll:
Shingoshi
eae
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm going to write has probably been addressed before so pardon my laziness :P

- on kde, portato will minimize to system tray every time I switch to a different desktop; I suppose this is uninteded (however it stops doing that if I uncheck the "redece to tray when minimized" option)

- what does the yellow arrow do? (the one next to + and - )

- will you include the possibility to easily browse the emerge history like on kuroo?

that's all \o/

EDIT: no actually there's a more serious problem: an error occurs whenever I tell portato to "show upgradable packages":
Code:
Exception in thread "Show Updates Thread":
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/exception_handling.py", line 34, in run
    Thread.run(self)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/threading.py", line 446, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/portato/gui/windows/main.py", line 1516, in __update
    packages.extend(system.get_updated_packages())
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/portato/backend/portage/system.py", line 363, in get_updated_packages
    packages = self.get_new_packages(self.find_all_installed_packages(withVersion = False))
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/portato/backend/portage/system.py", line 337, in get_new_packages
    best_p = self.find_best_match(p)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/portato/backend/portage/system.py", line 184, in find_best_match
    return self.find_best(t, only_cpv)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/portato/backend/portage/system.py", line 157, in find_best
    return PortagePackage(portage.best(list))
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/portato/backend/portage/package.py", line 54, in __init__
    self._status = portage.getmaskingstatus(self.get_cpv(), settings = self._settings.settings)
  File "/usr/lib64/portage/pym/portage/__init__.py", line 6343, in getmaskingstatus
    settings.setcpv(p, mydb=metadata)
NameError: global name 'p' is not defined

Portato version: 0.10
Used backend: Portage 2.2_rc1
pygtk: 2.12.0 (using GTK+: 2.12.10)
pygobject: 2.14.0 (using GLib: 2.16.3)
lxml: 2.0.5.0
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: