Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Userreps] New Forum for suggestions and complaints?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like the idea of such a subforum?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 53 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
I don't care
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 70

mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Can we move this thread there please?

This thread isn't really suited towards the new forum, so I will keep it here. That said, I will be shortly going through the threads mentioned in here and moving some of them to the new forum.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it would be better for the user reps to go through and ask you to move the ones we think are appropriate
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
maybe it would be better for the user reps to go through and ask you to move the ones we think are appropriate

That works for me, I will be waiting for all your commands :)
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:

The difference would be that it has a focus on working out improvements or collecting user opinions on specific topics, which is what we were asked for when userrel started this new project. It would also be a sign to the users that the devs do care about what users think! You know, almost any little something dealing with costumers/users has a special and visible little box where you can drop suggestions or complains. Why doesn't Gentoo?

We have been asked to improve the communication between the user and the dev community. So we thought of of a couple of ways to get the info the devs want while at the same time giving the users a place that is dedicated to make suggestion and rant a little. The new forum should be one of them.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-512894.html

So very disappointing.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
loki99 wrote:

The difference would be that it has a focus on working out improvements or collecting user opinions on specific topics, which is what we were asked for when userrel started this new project. It would also be a sign to the users that the devs do care about what users think! You know, almost any little something dealing with costumers/users has a special and visible little box where you can drop suggestions or complains. Why doesn't Gentoo?

We have been asked to improve the communication between the user and the dev community. So we thought of of a couple of ways to get the info the devs want while at the same time giving the users a place that is dedicated to make suggestion and rant a little. The new forum should be one of them.

So very disappointing.
that you can't read? Correct :roll:
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
slonocode wrote:
loki99 wrote:

So very disappointing.

Typical response from you. It's unfortunate that simply posting very often can get someone elected as a user rep.

That thread fits most every criteria for the user rep subforum. The result:
1. A user rep had it removed from the subforum.
2. A dev says the user rep forum useless save for language barriers and personal conflicts.
3. A dev says that users are "just" a side effect of them doing whatever they want.

If by improving communication between user and dev....it was meant that it was a place where devs could more directly tell users that they don't care about them...then the user rep forum is a huge success.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
slonocode wrote:
loki99 wrote:

So very disappointing.
Typical response from you. It's unfortunate that simply posting very often can get someone elected as a user rep.

2. A dev says the user rep forum useless save for language barriers and personal conflicts.
3. A dev says that users are "just" a side effect of them doing whatever they want.

If by improving communication between user and dev....it was meant that it was a place where devs could more directly tell users that they don't care about them...then the user rep forum is a huge success.
can you expect devs not to come when they have to put up with small minded whinings like this?
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
slonocode wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
slonocode wrote:
loki99 wrote:

So very disappointing.

can you expect devs not to come when they have to put up with small minded whinings like this?

Be more specific does "this" refer to my post or the thread in question? Being a user rep requires clear and direct communication skills so maybe you can learn something from this.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
Be more specific does "this" refer to my post or the thread in question? Being a user rep requires clear and direct communication skills so maybe you can learn something from this.
it is specifically about your postings in this thread. Instead of giving any positive input you seem to want to knock it everywhere. Go and put your effort into something better
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
slonocode wrote:
it is specifically about your postings in this thread. Instead of giving any positive input you seem to want to knock it everywhere. Go and put your effort into something better

No you are wrong. I specifically stated that I was all for the new forum as long as it wasn't a moderated quarantine. You will also notice if you look back that it was you that began insulting others.

I simply pointed out a thread that seems perfectly suited for user rep subforum and how disappointing it was what happened to it. Since you don't seem to have anything useful to say about that then let other more thoughtful, clear, concise user reps respond if they choose to.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
slonocode wrote:
No you are wrong. I specifically stated that I was all for the new forum as long as it wasn't a moderated quarantine. You will also notice if you look back that it was you that began insulting others.

I simply pointed out a thread that seems perfectly suited for user rep subforum and how disappointing it was what happened to it. Since you don't seem to have anything useful to say about that then let other more thoughtful, clear, concise user reps respond if they choose to.
It has to be heavily moderated otherwise it will turn into Gentoo chat. And i still say that a thread that is about bitching about the installer is not a userrep subject.
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: [Userreps] New Forum for suggestions and complaints? Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:

Userrep's Roles
Gentoo Haters/Lovers
Malformed Gentoo RSS feed?
I'M DONE - 4 YEARS of Gentoo is ENOUGH.
FEATURES="candy"
why Gentoo sucks, and why it will ultimately die

[stuck by MeddySeagoon 27 Sep 2006]

You mean to tell me that the "I'M DONE - 4 YEARS OF GENTOO IS ENOUGH" thread is STILL going? Good GAWD.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:

I just think that direct communication is way better than having to relay everything through middlemen. The reasons I listed also were just examples, not a complete list.
Quote:

Would you rather want me to lie and say that I'll only do whatever makes you (the users) happy while ignoring my own wishes? OSS development is all about motivation, and my (and I assume most other devs) primary motivation is to do what I like doing or is useful to me, user requests are secondary to that.

Quote:

Doesn't really apply as I only noticed the thread after it was moved out of that subforum.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
slonocode wrote:
So very disappointing.

Oh come on, cokehabit, that is just rude. If you're going to bother posting when you feel that the other person isn't getting it, explain yourself.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
slonocode wrote:
So very disappointing.

Oh come on, cokehabit, that is just rude. If you're going to bother posting when you feel that the other person isn't getting it, explain yourself.
i was correct in what i said. He should have read the rules of the forum first
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:

Well I thought that he was arguing that post should not have been moved from the forum (and it was moved back.) As such, this forum is exactly the place to discuss it.

And you didn't mention the rules of the forum, you just insulted him.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Well I thought that he was arguing that post should not have been moved from the forum (and it was moved back.) As such, this forum is exactly the place to discuss it.

And you didn't mention the rules of the forum, you just insulted him.
by saying that he can't read? Oh well. slocone spends most of his time trolling me personally so i am not one bit bothered. It is obvious that he 1) had no clue what the forum was for. 2) never read the rules that I wrote for the forum and lastly 3) never read this thread to get an idea of what was being said.

I have no time for those people with a vendetta against me who come in and make one comment in the vain hope of trying to make me look bad.
slonocode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
by saying that he can't read? Oh well. slocone spends most of his time trolling me personally so i am not one bit bothered. It is obvious that he 1) had no clue what the forum was for. 2) never read the rules that I wrote for the forum and lastly 3) never read this thread to get an idea of what was being said.

Wrong on all counts.

cokehabit wrote:

I have no time for those people with a vendetta against me who come in and make one comment in the vain hope of trying to make me look bad.

Wrong again. My post was in response to loki99.

In fact at no point do I say anything to you until you insult others and me.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slonocode wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Wrong on all counts.

cokehabit wrote:

Wrong again. My post was in response to loki99.

In fact at no point do I say anything to you until you insult others and me.
Yeah right... speak to the hand :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: