View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandora
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Bloody bloody fonts Reply with quote

I have Eurostile and Helvetica Neue installed, among others. In most programs (including Inkscape) only a few of the various weights and styles actually work. They all APPEAR as options, but most just give the standard regular weight no matter what is selected.

Scribus displays and uses the fonts correctly and I suspect that it is using its own font rendering system. Regardless, the fonts are clearly installed somewhere on the system where Scribus can find them.

Eurostile and Helvetica are two of the most commonly used commercial fonts for professional work and without them it simply is not a serious proposition to pitch for work in the real world of advertising, to say nothing of the many other less well known fonts that have the same problem.

This has bugged me for almost 10 years now but I've recently started doing print-work and it's become a real reason to boot up Windows again and I'm not happy about that.

Can anyone tell me if this is a fault with my setup (and how to fix it) or a fundimental bug in Freetype/Cairo/whatever is drawing my glyphs these days?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody bloody fonts Reply with quote

pandora wrote:
clearly installed somewhere

Well, where? Why not just put them in /usr/share/fonts/local, and add to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/local"
pandora
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bloody bloody fonts Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
pandora wrote:
clearly installed somewhere

Well, where? Why not just put them in /usr/share/fonts/local, and add to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/local"

They're in /usr/share/fonts/Type1 which is included in the Files section of the xorg.conf. The fact that inkscape etc. knows that the styles exist seems to imply that the fonts are being seen but that something is failing to render styles and weights which are outside the normal "bold", "italic" etc range. For example: Eurostile extended#2, or Hevetica Narrow.
cbradney
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reproblem with Scribus finding your fonts or not? Just checking, because I'd like to help if so. Sounds like an "other app" issue.
pandora
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbradney wrote:
Is there a reproblem with Scribus finding your fonts or not? Just checking, because I'd like to help if so. Sounds like an "other app" issue.

No, the point was that Scribus IS working and finding the fonts while basically nothing else was. It turns out that there are numerous bugs in fc-cache and I've written a Perl script to clean up after it. Unfortunately it only works on PostScript fonts but since that includes my copies of Eurostile and Helvetica I am for the moment content if not happy.

Thanks anyway.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the display on the screen is fine with all applications but print is no no.
i am using epson stylus color 460
it prints like newspaper print size for any big page fonts.
i also have to boot up windows or xp for printing .
we dont have correct printer drivers i think.
pandora
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
the display on the screen is fine with all applications but print is no no.
i am using epson stylus color 460

Gimp-print and gimp-print-ijs both support that printer; have you either installed?
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have installed gimp and gimp print openoffice etc.
the cups does not have a driver for this printer but a general epson stylus colr printers fmly.
it does not live upto expectation but in windows it does wonderful job.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: