View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egandt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Remote Java Sessions fails (local work) Reply with quote

Here is the problem I can not use any GUI Java apps remotely. Basically the app loads, but I can only see about a 100 by 200 pixel portion of the screen and no buttons will draw, the same product works locally and all x programs (xterm, xclock, xeyes ...), work when remote from the same server, but not Java.

1. I tried setting:
export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit
and
export AWT_TOOLKIT=XToolkit
as suggested in a blog entry but if I select Mtoolkit then Java hangs, if I select XToolkit then I have the screen issue. If I use this options only I the local machine it makes no difference.
2. Since the programs all work locally (on both my system and the remote systems local X display) the problem is passing 1 or more values from local X server to the application, but that is were I get lost.
3. I also tried changed the drivers from ATI to VGA or VESA always the same problem.
4. There are no problems reported on the command-line from which X is run,everything appears fine as far as both systems are concerned.

Basically I've spent the better part of 2 weeks getting this install 100% functional only to now have to start from scratch if I do not get a solution as I need remote JAVA to get work done. I'm most upset by this issue as I can not even search for a solution as is a graphical display issue and I can not describe it on a search engine well. For those that got this far I'm running Gentoo 2006.1 with portage updated to 1/2/06. This is a real bummer as I can not spend time reinstalling Gentoo again and would have to move back to "Winblozes"/Exceed if I can not fix the issue.

ERIC
KingBeeXC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the same issue and after searching the forums I found this which fixed my issue:
jgunz wrote:
After lots of googling I found a hint to try adding -Y to the ssh argument list when connecting. This seems to fix the problem. I've aliased ssh to use "ssh -XY" and now my Java apps are showing up correct. I'm not familar with this argument, the man page simply says it "Enables trusted X11 forwarding."

BTW, the remote system is not running Gentoo, so I did not follow the tutorial when setting it up.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-358443.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: