Which profile for amd64 x2?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovecraft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Which profile for amd64 x2? Reply with quote

Hi,

This is about the 6th gentoo installation I've done (several pentium laptops, and Tbird & Pentium desktops...), but now it's on an amd64x2 (sweet), and I'm a bit out of my depth on selecting profiles. Kind of a dumb question, but as this is the 3rd try at installing, I thought I'd take it step by step...

I'm using 2006.1 amd64 minimal install CD. I want a full 64-bit installation, except where necessary. I'm following the installation guide for amd64, and I'm at section 6.b: Configuring Portage. I want to select a profile. The default profile is currently set: "../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1".

My first question: why isn't the default profile "../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2006.1"? After all, this is the amd64 minimal install CD, not the x86 minimal install CD... Should I override things to refer to the amd64 profile?

More questions: the AMD64 Installation Handbook seems remarkably similar to the stock x86 handbook. Plenty of help on switching to PPC profiles, but zilch on AMD64. Perhaps the docs haven't quite caught up with the software yet? Or is the amd64 profile not entirely recommended yet?

I assume that if I want to use the amd64 desktop profile, I would delete the symlink to the current profile, and do:
Code:
ln -snf ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2006.1/desktop /etc/make.profile

This looks enormously useful, since I'd rather not confuse my make.conf with a huge number of USE flags. However, I already tried this and things failed when I tried to compile a kernel, so I'm starting over and being extra careful.

Thanks for the help,

lovecraft
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you 100% sure it is a amd64 LiveCD?

Anyways, the profile link you posted is the one you want.
Is it just the kernel that fails or other ebuilds also?
lovecraft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:

Not LiveCD, minimal: install-amd64-minimal-2006.1.iso. Here's the output from uname:
Code:
livecd ~ # uname -a
Linux livecd 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP Tue Aug 29 01:41:38 UTC 2006 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ GNU/Linux

About failed ebuilds: I only do two ebuilds: "emerge gentoo-sources" and "emerge genkernel". They seemed to go ok.

The problem happened after doing "genkernel --menuconfig all". I saved my kernel config and quit, but the genkernel script failed immediately with something I didn't copy down :oops:. Anyway, couldn't find that error in the forums anywhere. If it happens again, I'll post it.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovecraft wrote:
Headrush wrote:

Not LiveCD, minimal: install-amd64-minimal-2006.1.iso. Here's the output from uname:
Code:
livecd ~ # uname -a
Linux livecd 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP Tue Aug 29 01:41:38 UTC 2006 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ GNU/Linux

About failed ebuilds: I only do two ebuilds: "emerge gentoo-sources" and "emerge genkernel". They seemed to go ok.

The problem happened after doing "genkernel --menuconfig all". I saved my kernel config and quit, but the genkernel script failed immediately with something I didn't copy down :oops:. Anyway, couldn't find that error in the forums anywhere. If it happens again, I'll post it.

This sounds more like a problem with one of the options that is enabled for the kernel by genkernel.

If genkernel has a verbose flag (-v) try running with that and posting the error.
lovecraft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Error message Reply with quote

This time, I just did "genkernel all" and didn't bother with tweaking. Same error:
Code:
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  UPD     include/linux/version.h
  SPLIT   include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
  CC      arch/x86_64/kernel/asm-offsets.s
arch/x86_64/kernel/asm-offsets.c:1: error: code model 'kernel' not supported in the 32 bit mode
arch/x86_64/kernel/asm-offsets.c:1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in
make[1]: *** [arch/x86_64/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2
* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.4.1
* Running with options: all

* ERROR: Failed to compile the "prepare" target...

* -- End log... --

"64-bit mode not compiled in"???
lovecraft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, there's a --debuglevel option to genkernel, but even at a high setting, it doesn't seem to offer any more info...
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Which profile for amd64 x2? Reply with quote

lovecraft wrote:
I want to select a profile. The default profile is currently set: "../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1".

This means you are using the wrong stage tarball.

Not only do you need a 64bit CD, but you also need a 64bit stage tarball if you want to end up with a 64bit Gentoo installation.
lovecraft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Which profile for amd64 x2? Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Not only do you need a 64bit CD, but you also need a 64bit stage tarball if you want to end up with a 64bit Gentoo installation.

Ok, makes sense to me, but where do I get the 64-bit stage3 tarball? What directory should I look under? I'm looking now on a mirror at "releases/x86/2006.1/stages", and all I see are i686. There's also an "releases/ia64/2006.1/stages" directory, but is that what I want for amd64? I thought that was Itanium...

And anyway, sorry to sound complainy, but I expected the AMD64 installation instructions to be more helpful in this regard. There's barely a mention of amd64-specific information. I'm just guessing on many things - the instructions should take out the guesswork.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like the one you want.
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/amd64/2006.1/stages/stage3-amd64-2006.1.tar.bz2
lovecraft
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
This looks like the one you want.
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/amd64/2006.1/stages/stage3-amd64-2006.1.tar.bz2

Aha. It looks like my favorite mirror site does not have all architectures - that explains a lot! Things should go much better now!

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: