VueScan on AMD64?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: VueScan on AMD64? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a film scanner, and have found that VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html) is probably the best Linux program for scanning film, although it's shareware. Anyhow, I've tried running the demo version, but I've had no luck under Gentoo-64. First it squawked about missing libraries, so I tracked them down and copied them from a 32-bit SuSE installation. Now when I try to run it I get this:

Code:

$ ./vuescan

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
Segmentation fault

I've done a Web search on these errors and tried setting a bunch of environment variables, like LC_ALL, to various things with no luck. I've a hunch this is really related to the 32-bit executable trying to interact with my 64-bit X installation, or to some sort of libraries that need 32-bit support programs that are missing. Any tips? (Because it's shareware without source, I can't even try recompiling it locally.) Alternatively, does anybody know of any other software to do the job? (XSANE and other SANE-using programs I've seen don't have nearly as many options for things like film types, which can be important in film scanning. Also, SANE doesn't support a lot of the film scanners I'm considering.)
bgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - Have a similar issue here with my trusty Nikon LS-30. Did you ever find a workable solution under 64 bit?

Thanks! :-)
Rgds
Bo
Andysan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sane/xsane works nice for my canoscan lide 20.

Maybe this can help you: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=212021#1480559
bgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Using sane Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for the hint. Sane can be used and there's a backend for the Nikon Coolscan III (LS-30). Only the backend "coolscan2" seems ok, "coolscan" dies with a segment fault, but the xsane user interface in general is not that top IMHO, somewhat akward batch processing and the noise-speck-dust removal (aka ICE) doesn't seem to be supported, or I missed that. Anyway, it can read 10bit images (i.e. IR channel included).

Obviously it seems to be a real issue to get Vuescan going in 64 bit. I compiled libusb-0.1.8 (libusb-0.1.so.4.4.0) as 32bit and installed the lib, but probably have to do chroot to run Vuescan in it.

---> Anyone 64bit Gentoo users having Vuescan up and running? If so, let me know what you did.

TIA!
Bo
LaNcom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try another frontend for SANE? XSANE is bad, but there are other frontends like QuiteInsane or Kooka. See:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-frontends.html

PS: Vuescan works for me (it starts; I don't really know if it works 'cause I have no scanner). I use libusb-0.1.7-3.i386.rpm (fedora core RPM), and xorg X11 6.7.99.901...
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the OP on this, and I've not gotten it working under Gentoo for AMD64. My solution has been to attach my film scanner to a SuSE x86 box and use it from there. (I actually use an SSH link from my Gentoo box to run VueScan on the SuSE x86 box, which is my home network's main server.) I've had no luck at all getting it to work directly on the Gentto AMD64 box, although I'd like to -- I suspect it'd be faster, since it's got much more recent hardware.
bgs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: No go Reply with quote

Minor update: sane/xsane and the front end Kooka works. Former has two back ends for Nikon LS-30, none supporting the ICE of the scanner and color profile management is basically non-existent. The non-existent support of ICE is a major drawback. Kooka is maybe good for OCR (didn't try it's OCR features), but is not really useful for serious slide/neg scanning.

QuintInsane is masked and I didn't try to emerge it.

That was though not the reason for my posting: My intent was to get Vuescan working. Vuescan is dynamically linked to libusb and for some interesting reason does not load the 32-bit shared library I compiled.

Been using my new linux box for four months now and it is basically speaking a very nice, fast machine and gentoo is classy. When it comes to imaging work though, linux is IMHO not there yet: I am getting used to Gimp eventhough color management, and real NEF support are issues. GUI wise I sorely miss Photoshop. Anyway, if anyone else has Vuescan up and running on 64 bit, please let me know and also what you did! :-)

TIA!
Bo
superpat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Anyone got Vuescan working yet on AMD64 Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone succeded in getting Vuescan to work with AMD64.

I have installed the latest Vuescan binary ( I have emulation libs installed)
but Vuescan makes the complaint it cannot find libusb, (although I do have it installed.)

I do not know which directory Vuescan expects to find libusb, the error message doesn't say, does anyone know?

thanks

Patrick
superpat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Anyone got Vuescan working yet on AMD64 Reply with quote

Thanks

Patrick
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vuescan is looking for 32 versions of the libraries. It will complain about libusb and libresmgr. Find 32 bit RPMs and install the files to /usr/lib32 and run ldconif and it will not longer complain about the missing libraries. But it will blow up with the following error at least with the 2005.0 profile:

*** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x5556f1ac ***
Aborted

Has anyone tried this with the 32 libs installed on a 2004.3 profile machine?
damicatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have emul-linux-x86-xlibs and emul-linux-x86-baselibs installed?
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure do. I tihink this has something to do with how new glibc is. There are posts in bugs.gentoo.org that are about siimilar errors with other apps on x86 systems. Most have been closed as "invalid" with a commant the the newer versions of glibc will do this when the application making the calls does something wrong. So I am not sure what is going on with this. The person that wrote vuescan seemed to think that my version of glibc maybe "too new". I am running with keywords set to amd64 and the 2005.0 profile. Everyhting else 32 bit is running fine.
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out the newer versions of glibc have fairly strict runtime checking for things like stray pointers and the like. So this turns out to be a bug in Vuescan and Vuescan author's "fix" is to use a version of glibc that does not complain about his bug. I figure he will have to fix it sooner or later because at some point most Linux distros will be using these newer glibc versions.
cnot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get vuescan to use my USB scanner on my AMD64 without problems now. The scanner, an Epson 2580 photo, works well with both flatbed and the film attachment.

I recently bought a Microtek 4000t film scanner. THis uses the scsi interface and I can't get vuescan to work with this, in fact, it doesn't even detect it. sane-find-scanner does detect it and prints the correct identification, etc. Ed Hamrick, the author of vuescan, informed me there is a bug in the 64bit scsi driver that does not allow it to be used with 32-bit applications. Does anyone know if this is a known problem?

I moved the scanner and scsi card to an old 32-bit machine and vuescan works well on this system.
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been able to get this working. What I found is that you need a number of the emualtion libraries installed including the GTK libraries. That is the easy part and most likely you are good to go with this.

There are a number of libraries that are NOT in the emualtion libraries that you have to hand install. The two that I needed were libusb (and freinds) and libresmgr. Most likely this is all anyone needs.

But not just any 32 bit binaries will work. What I ended up doing was finding the image of the SuSE 10.1 disk on the net (not the ISO but the FTP site that has all the directories and all of the RPM files) and I went into the x86_64 directory and found the 32bit emulation libraries that I needed. These were named:

libusb-32bit-0.1.12-7.x86_64.rpm
resmgr-32bit-0.9.8_SVNr75-18.x86_64.rpm

I used rpm2targz and tar to extract the files and then hand copied these files to /lib32. Then ran ldconfig and at that point VueScan worked.

It would be really nice if whoever is responsible for the emulation libraries would get these missing libraries into perhaps the base emualtion library. Seems like a major oversight to me since it is not easy to find 32 bit versions of these that will work.
Nitro_146
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone has managed to make Vuescan work with an SCSI scanner ?

I am wondering if I should install my brand new core 2 duo system with gentoo 32 bits or gentoo 64 bits, and Scanning is important for me.
Nitro_146
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no clues ?
Nitro_146
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I recived my system I gave a try in 64 bits environement.

and ... It works.

My system, in case that might helm somebody

Vuescan 8.3.63
Core 2 Duo
Gentoo 2006.1
Gentoo-sources 2.6.17-r8
Future domain TMC-18C30 Scsi Pci card
Nikon coolscan III
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: