Gentoo is good, but is it the best?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fire Hazard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Gentoo is good, but is it the best? Reply with quote

Recently I came back from 17 weeks of Hell, basic and AIT training at Ft. Knox (If you ain't Cav you ain't SHIT!). And course my Gentoo Linux system us in need of updating. So I then attempted to update my system which I've only done a few times mainly because of the problems I get from trying to update my system. Anyways it was being really stupid telling me I need to remove a program that was already removed and didn't exist anymore. So I just throw my hands up like I usally do and just install from scratch because that's always the easiest way (most of the time). Well I ended up having the hardest time to install everything (more than usual) and thats when I decided to leave Gentoo for something better.

I installed the latest SUSE and within an hour I was using the Gentoo LiveCD till I got a Ubuntu install CD. I'm serious, I have no idea why people use that distro. They don't even have mulitple windows to use (you know the four squars in the bottom right of the tool bar in Gnome and KDE). Within seriously an hour I was going insane from not having those windows to toggle back and forth from.

Well once I got an Unbuntu install CD I was booted into my new distro within a split second it seems compared to Gentoo which takes me about 2 days of compiling before I have the basic programs I want. So at first I was highly impressed when Unbuntu. But it wasn't long before I saw its short commings. When I searched for AVIplayer to download it came up empty. Turns out Unbuntu doesn't have the vast amount of programs you can download like Gentoo. Of course I went to their forums and they gave me the whole, well you can complie it from source code and it will run. Yeah, I've been down that road when I first started using Linux on Red Hat 9.0. To get one program to install you need like 4 other programs and those programs need 2 programs each and next thing you know you have 18 programs to install to get one program. Well luck would have it for me that I would always have one of those programs not install properly and never get my program I wanted. This is why I went to Gentoo when I heard about this greatest gift from the gods. A program that installs everything you need for one programe with just one command. Course you had to pay for it, in terms of getting the Gentoo system installed but I managed and lived happily for about 2 years (that is till this all started).

Anyways I just wanted to let the those who are thinking of leaving Gentoo that they are spoiled by Gentoo and won't realized it till they switch distros like I did. Save your self a headach and just stick to Gentoo. Or try a different Linux distro without getting rid of your Gentoo distro on your hard drive. Because its going to say you hour and hours of reinstallion time once you go back to using Gentoo.

"Here is your parachute and here is the manual.
Welcome to Linux."
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is good, but is it the best? Reply with quote

Fire Hazard wrote:
If you ain't Cav you ain't SHIT!

So, does that mean that if you are Cav, you are shit? :wink:

Anyway... best of/for what?

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is good, but is it the best? Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
Fire Hazard wrote:

Logically, it means if you are Cav you may be shit. But if you aren't then you most definitely aren't shit.

Whatever a "Cav" is.
stupidkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I searched for AVIplayer to download it came up empty. Turns out Unbuntu doesn't have the vast amount of programs you can download like Gentoo.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty convinced that apt has more packages in its repository than portage does. Did you add in all the extra repositories?
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is good, but is it the best? Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
nixnut wrote:
Fire Hazard wrote:

Logically, it means if you are Cav you may be shit. But if you aren't then you most definitely aren't shit.

whooosh! :wink:

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Fire Hazard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty convinced that apt has more packages in its repository than portage does. Did you add in all the extra repositories?

I'm pretty sure I did, I went into the Synaptic Package Manager and then to repository and checked all the boxes. So I think that shows all the programs I can install when I search for a program.

Oh by the way, the quote "If you ain't Cav, you ain't shit!" It's a Cavalry Scout saying. I'll put it in another way for you to understand. It the Army hiearchy of "bad assness" there are Infintrymen, Cavalry Scouts, Rangers, Special Forces. There is also a good quote I like, "There are only two MOSs in the Army, 19Ds and wannabes." MOS= Military Occupation Service. and 19D is the MOS title of a Cavalry Scout.

Welcome to Linux."
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is good, but is it the best? Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
runningwithscissors wrote:
nixnut wrote:
Fire Hazard wrote:

whooosh! :wink:

Not so much "whoosh" as bored and willing to post anything for postcount++.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more appropriate question is: "For what use is something else better than Gentoo?"

If a particular need dictates something else, then use it. Based on the many uses of Gentoo I've read about, I'm wondering what it'd be.
Fire Hazard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just was just looking for another distro that would be easier to install and maintain. I mainly use my system to watch anime and read mangas besides surfing the net and e-mail of course.

Welcome to Linux."
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Hazard wrote:
I was just was just looking for another distro that would be easier to install and maintain. I mainly use my system to watch anime and read mangas besides surfing the net and e-mail of course.

Get Debian stable. You don't have to increase the number of virtual desktops yourself, updates rarely cause problems (updates are rare anyway) and you still can surf the net, e-mail, watch anime and read mangas.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is good, but is it the best? Reply with quote

Fire Hazard wrote:
I installed the latest SUSE and within an hour I was using the Gentoo LiveCD till I got a Ubuntu install CD. I'm serious, I have no idea why people use that distro. They don't even have mulitple windows to use (you know the four squars in the bottom right of the tool bar in Gnome and KDE). Within seriously an hour I was going insane from not having those windows to toggle back and forth from.

Err in KDE, you just right click on the desktop, choose `Configure Desktop' and then goto the `Multiple Desktops' tab to add as many as you want. That doesn't seem much to ask, especially if you're used to a gentoo config ;)
Quote:

Anyways I just wanted to let the those who are thinking of leaving Gentoo that they are spoiled by Gentoo and won't realized it till they switch distros like I did. Save your self a headach and just stick to Gentoo. Or try a different Linux distro without getting rid of your Gentoo distro on your hard drive. Because its going to say you hour and hours of reinstallion time once you go back to using Gentoo.

With you on that.
Fruitwoot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all personnal, for me Gentoo is the best because it's what I need and I do have the choice :P
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
USE=irony emerge clue

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: