View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Dvorak problem Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to Linux and Gentoo, although I'm getting the hang of it. But I'm not too familiar with all the commands yet, so please keep suggestions simple :P

I am running 64-bit Gentoo 2.6.17-r8, with KDE as desktop environment and X.org X11 6.8.2-r8.
Being a user of the Dvorak keyboard layout, I want to be able to switch between Dvorak and Qwerty so I wanted to change the keyboard layout in KDE (I have no problem typing my password for login in Qwerty).
Now I found out that the Dvorak layout (I tried the dvorak variant of us) is not working. Whenever I select the option from the list of layouts provided by KDE, the indicator changes to "ERR" and when I try to type, it is some Qwerty-variant with different positions for the non-letter characters.

The 'setxkbmap dvorak' command does work, changing the layout to Dvorak, but I'd like to be able to change it in KDE so I can switch faster by clicking on the indicator in the taskbar.

I hope anyone can help me out. I've searched for a solution but never found a similar problem.

Cheers,

Biert
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: kxkb err Reply with quote

Try changing the keyboard layout in control center --> Regional Acc --> Keyboard Layout to
generic 105 key. Then try deleting the existing layouts that you have set.
Then re-add the layouts.

Cheers,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: